A war of attrition or a harmonious household ?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Samoan

A war of attrition or a harmonious household ?

Postby Samoan » 13 Nov 2019, 10:16

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2019/nov/02/what-temperature-should-i-set-my-central-heating?CMP=share_btn_link

Our annual heating battle has begun. My partner sets the thermostat at 22C.
I turn it down to 19C. He says that’s freezing, blames my Scottish upbringing and pumps it back up again.
I say put on another jumper (and save money).

Do some people really feel the cold more, or is he just being unreasonable?
soundchaser wrote: The actual song was pretty good, if you overlook the singing.

never/ever

Re: A war of attrition or a harmonious household ?

Postby never/ever » 13 Nov 2019, 10:23

They do.
I am used to extreme temperatures but friends always implore me to switch on the air-conditioning when they are at my place.
I'm less tolerant to cold now but as a kid it was the reverse.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 13 Nov 2019, 10:57

The thermostat has been the bane of our marriage until we discovered the miracle of separate bedrooms.
... an essential element of this story being impossible, we cannot take seriously the other elements that are before us ... Thierry Meyssan

Flower

Postby Flower » 13 Nov 2019, 12:14

Harmony here ... I like the cooler temps at night and have the advantage of at least one (of three) cats snuggling against me. Of course, this can be an issue in the summer months.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 13 Nov 2019, 15:38

Everything was fine until the bloody menopause. Now either I’m too cold, or my wife’s too hot. We have to have the bedroom window open in mid-winter, so I’m wrapped up in a second duvet, while my wife makes do with a sheet. I put the heating on to a look of “Do we really need that?” And yes we do. These are things they don’t tell you about when you get married. Too late to stop now, though :D.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 13 Nov 2019, 15:40

I won’t get out of bed unless it’s tropical. Fuck knows how I managed in Yorkshire for 42 years.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower

Postby Flower » 13 Nov 2019, 16:07

soundchaser wrote:Everything was fine until the bloody menopause. Now either I’m too cold, or my wife’s too hot. We have to have the bedroom window open in mid-winter, so I’m wrapped up in a second duvet, while my wife makes do with a sheet. I put the heating on to a look of “Do we really need that?” And yes we do. These are things they don’t tell you about when you get married. Too late to stop now, though :D.

A friend solved this issue by getting an electric blanket for his side of the bed. It worked for them. Good luck. :)

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 13 Nov 2019, 16:32

Flower wrote:
soundchaser wrote:Everything was fine until the bloody menopause. Now either I’m too cold, or my wife’s too hot. We have to have the bedroom window open in mid-winter, so I’m wrapped up in a second duvet, while my wife makes do with a sheet. I put the heating on to a look of “Do we really need that?” And yes we do. These are things they don’t tell you about when you get married. Too late to stop now, though :D.

A friend solved this issue by getting an electric blanket for his side of the bed. It worked for them. Good luck. :)

Oh, we’re fine thanks ;). Together since 1972. Hopefully, many more mixed heating years ahead.

Flower

Postby Flower » 13 Nov 2019, 17:22

I know that you guys are fine. Your post reminded me of my cousin when he first got married. He and his wife would fight over the quilt and have some "interesting" discussions until they each got their own quilt and peace reigned again.

It's just that often the simple solutions to minor issues often escape us at times.