So, the upcoming UK election...

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Re: So, the upcoming UK election...

Postby The Prof » 27 Nov 2019, 11:51

Powehi wrote:
If I was Johnson, I'd be ringing in sick for the next couple of days.

I'm pretty sure they'll be considering that option.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 27 Nov 2019, 12:46

Deebank wrote:
Copehead wrote:
Considering what a sociopathic liar Johnson is and how lacking a moral compass the Tory Party is, the vestiges of it being off loaded with their Party expulsions, I would bet that this is just the start of getting down and dirty in a way that that Trump would admire.

I'm not sure what else there is left for them to say/do really.

The decent thing.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 27 Nov 2019, 12:55

Darkness_Fish wrote:
Deebank wrote:
Copehead wrote:
Considering what a sociopathic liar Johnson is and how lacking a moral compass the Tory Party is, the vestiges of it being off loaded with their Party expulsions, I would bet that this is just the start of getting down and dirty in a way that that Trump would admire.

The decent thing.

Fat fucking chance!

There seems to be a tonne of 'fake news' stuff coming out of CCHQ but I'm not sure who they are trying to get to with it. I wonder if this stuff works at all.

I've had a bunch of stuff on my Facebook feed too - negative mud slinging ads for the most part aimed at JC. If you click the ... in the top right corner you can ask to hide them and also ask 'Why am I receiving this?' Aparently if you live in England are white and over 40 you're fair game. They are coming from some obscure organisations which I assume are CCHQ fronts.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Rorschach

Postby Rorschach » 27 Nov 2019, 13:17

Copehead wrote:The most egregious of the lot ( YouGov ), who basically spam crap polls out on an almost daily basis to skew averages, are actually owned by a Tory MP and a Tory apparatchik, what about them, or is the whole industry one of the highest integrity but just really, really crap at the job they purport to do?

Rorschach already wrote:... There may be rogues among them ...

I imagine the level of integrity is about the same as in any capitalist enterprise. And the level of crapness, too.

However ...

Copehead wrote:... in overstating the Tory vote they hope to demoralise the left of centre vote.

No matter how many times you repeat this baseless assertion (as they say) it's not going to make it any less of a Jimbo-light conspiracy theory. Just think of all the people who would have to be in on it: nearly everyone who works in the industry seeing that they're all pumping out similar figures. And not one unhappy employee has broken ranks?
And why do it? Surely a better tactic would be to pretend that Labour are winning so the left become complacent, young people don't feel the need to vote and the gammons get all wound up and determined to vote.

I don't think anything is beneath the Tories. They are unscrupulous and evil and will do anything they can to steal the wealth of the country and put it in their own pockets. But they're not doing this. Not because they have too much integrity but because they don't have the ability. No-one does.
Bugger off.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 27 Nov 2019, 14:59

Deebank wrote:I've had a bunch of stuff on my Facebook feed too - negative mud slinging ads for the most part aimed at JC. If you click the ... in the top right corner you can ask to hide them and also ask 'Why am I receiving this?' Aparently if you live in England are white and over 40 you're fair game. They are coming from some obscure organisations which I assume are CCHQ fronts.

I don't do social media, so I don't get any of this crap. I am surprised at how quiet it is locally, though. Usually. there are posters on boards (mostly Conservative) outside peoples houses and I've seen none of that. No canvassers and just one leaflet through the door from the Green Party. Strange. It's like the election was happening somewhere else.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 27 Nov 2019, 15:14

soundchaser wrote:
Deebank wrote:I've had a bunch of stuff on my Facebook feed too - negative mud slinging ads for the most part aimed at JC. If you click the ... in the top right corner you can ask to hide them and also ask 'Why am I receiving this?' Aparently if you live in England are white and over 40 you're fair game. They are coming from some obscure organisations which I assume are CCHQ fronts.

I don't do social media, so I don't get any of this crap. I am surprised at how quiet it is locally, though. Usually. there are posters on boards (mostly Conservative) outside peoples houses and I've seen none of that. No canvassers and just one leaflet through the door from the Green Party. Strange. It's like the election was happening somewhere else.

Ditto.

I saw my first Brexit Party boards today on the A38 west of Exeter. Last time though there were tonnes of Conservative and UKIP signs all over the shop.
Lots of Independent ones near us - the prospective MP is pro remain and fairly sound although as I stated elsewhere her flyer neglected to mention Brexit in any way shape or form which strikes me as a bit cowardly or disingenuous.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope

Postby Corporate whore » 27 Nov 2019, 15:22

Interesting turn up in my constituency, where the incumbent Tory only has a 650 majority. He failed to turn up to a hustings session on Education. This is getting him lots of bad publicity locally.

All we need now is 3 ft snow drifts so that the inbreds cant get down from the hills and that's one seat in the bag for Labour.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 27 Nov 2019, 16:21

Deebank wrote:
Copehead wrote:

Well they have started offing cultural polymaths by the look of it with Jonathan Miller, Clive James and Gary Rhodes all going within a 24 hour period.
Last edited by Copehead on 27 Nov 2019, 16:30, edited 1 time in total.
I'm Jay Z on a bad day, Shakespeare on my worst days

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 27 Nov 2019, 16:23

The Prof wrote:
Powehi wrote:

Looks like the great campaigner has already decided that facing Andrew Neil, like every other Party leader, is too much for him intellectually.

Apparently Laura Kuenssberg is going to sit in for him

edit is case you doubted me, from a poster Guardian BTL:

Going to say this again.

For the first time in my life, I’ve complained to the BBC.

About Laura Kuennsberg’s bias.

I said:

“Today, the Labour Party held a press conference on the NHS, releasing documents which they said showed the NHS to be vulnerable in a US trade deal. When it came time for questions from the media, the first three were about whether Jeremy Corbyn would apologise to Jews, following claims made by the Chief Rabbi yesterday. Labour’s Barry Gardiner then asked journalists to stick to the subject at hand.

In response to this, Piers Morgan, co-anchor of ITV’s Good Morning Britain, tweeted: “Wow. The breathtaking arrogance of this chump telling journalists what questions to ask. They should all ignore him & pummel Corbyn about anti-Semitism.”

Laura Kuennsberg then retweeted this.

I feel, and I expect most people do, too, that the NHS is at least as important a topic as Labour’s alleged anti-semitism, and yet it seems there is a coordinated campaign in the media to “pummel Corbyn about anti-Semitism”, beyond all proportion, in order to denigrate him as we head to an election.

My complaint is that Laura Kuennsberg is complicit in this campaign. As her retweet shows, she is far from impartial, far from objective, and is biased in favour of the Tories.”
Last edited by Copehead on 27 Nov 2019, 18:30, edited 2 times in total.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 27 Nov 2019, 16:26

Rorschach wrote:
Copehead wrote:The most egregious of the lot ( YouGov ), who basically spam crap polls out on an almost daily basis to skew averages, are actually owned by a Tory MP and a Tory apparatchik, what about them, or is the whole industry one of the highest integrity but just really, really crap at the job they purport to do?

Rorschach already wrote:... There may be rogues among them ...

I imagine the level of integrity is about the same as in any capitalist enterprise. And the level of crapness, too.

However ...

Copehead wrote:... in overstating the Tory vote they hope to demoralise the left of centre vote.

No matter how many times you repeat this baseless assertion (as they say) it's not going to make it any less of a Jimbo-light conspiracy theory. Just think of all the people who would have to be in on it: nearly everyone who works in the industry seeing that they're all pumping out similar figures. And not one unhappy employee has broken ranks?
And why do it? Surely a better tactic would be to pretend that Labour are winning so the left become complacent, young people don't feel the need to vote and the gammons get all wound up and determined to vote.

I don't think anything is beneath the Tories. They are unscrupulous and evil and will do anything they can to steal the wealth of the country and put it in their own pockets. But they're not doing this. Not because they have too much integrity but because they don't have the ability. No-one does.

The alternative is that they are so incompetent that they cannot learn from 2017, or have no wish too, and they cannot sample the modern British electorate accurately despite claiming they can.

That is little better than doing it on purpose in my view.

At base I think it is a bit of both, they know they are probably not sampling or weighting accurately and they really don't care that much as the numbers they are crunching set a narrative they are not adverse to.

What that says about politics and democracy in the 21st century I'll leave for you to decide for yourself.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 27 Nov 2019, 17:01

Copehead wrote:
The Prof wrote:
Powehi wrote:

Looks like the great campaigner has already decided that facing Andrew Neil, like every other Party leader, is too much for him intellectually.

I thought you were joking - it true in't it.

Can't fix "a date in his diary". What a weasel.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 27 Nov 2019, 17:36

The Prof wrote:
Copehead wrote:
The Prof wrote:

I thought you were joking - it true in't it.

Can't fix "a date in his diary". What a weasel.

The great Tory campaigner; even May had the balls to face Neil, car crash though it was.

All he can do is flit from one photo op to another and when he does meet a member of the public by accident they usually roundly abuse him.

As he sneaks out of side doors passers by regularly boo him, yet we are lead to believe this man is the popular leader of a popular party, we'll see I suppose. It probably reflects the utter

I loved that nurse he was sucking up to yesterday asking him if he had found the magic nurse tree to go with the magic money tree. The sickly smile on his face was a sight to behold.

Actually he looks pretty sick all the time, the twattersphere is going big on the probability that he is a barely functioning alcoholic. It would explain a lot, including the disheveled schtick

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 27 Nov 2019, 21:38

Oh well, if the twattersphere says it....

Meanwhile, in the real world I just watched the Neil / Corbyn interview.

What a fucking shambles. I’m sure Corbyn is probably a very intelligent man, with strong ideals and principles. But he is a million miles away from being a credible Prime Minister.

He is totally unable to think on his feet. His lack of ability to BS is almost charming (compared to Johnson whose default position is bluster and BS) but getting frustrated, sighing and rolling the eyes during a key interview has to be a turn-off for all but the most committed supporter.

If Johnson does not find time in his hectic schedule to sit with Andrew Neil it will certainly call into question his suitability as well, but I can’t see, whether he does it or not, that he could inflict as much damage on his party’s chances of winning the GE as Corbyn “achieved” last night.

Has Dianne Abbott been allowed out and in front of an interviewer yet?

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 27 Nov 2019, 22:04

Lord Rother wrote:Oh well, if the twattersphere says it....

What a fucking shambles. I’m sure Corbyn is probably a very intelligent man, with strong ideals and principles. But he is a million miles away from being a credible Prime Minister.

He is totally unable to think on his feet. His lack of ability to BS is almost charming (compared to Johnson whose default position is bluster and BS) but getting frustrated, sighing and rolling the eyes during a key interview has to be a turn-off for all but the most committed supporter.

If Johnson does not find time in his hectic schedule to sit with Andrew Neil it will certainly call into question his suitability as well, but I can’t see, whether he does it or not, that he could inflict as much damage on his party’s chances of winning the GE as Corbyn “achieved” last night.

Dianne Abbott the black woman from a poor background who made it to Cambridge? What have you achieved with your life? CSE in woodwork? Followed many years building up resentment for successful black women by the look of it?

At least Corbyn is brave enough to go an be interviewed by the arch Tory Chairman of the group that owns the Spectator magazine. The general lack of crowing by the right wing press and BBC suggests that he held is own against Neil, no gotchas no nasty moments.

Unlike Johnson.

How can this useless turd negotiate trade deals with Trump's USA if he isn't even brave enough to go and be interviewed by his old boss on the Spectator magazine?

Your endless justifications for why you are are going to vote for this piece of human excrement are one of the main reasons I hang around here more these days, top entertainment.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 27 Nov 2019, 22:24

Dominic Cummings writes blog saying polls are closer than we are being told and promptly resigns.

I'd say the wheels are coming off the Tory campaign but that would suggest that it was functioning before this.

That's what you get when you employ weird nutters who aren't even members of your political party to run your campaign.

Rounds off another spiffing day for Johnson and the Tories as they get flayed alive for their secret NHS self off talks, Johnson chickens out of being interviewed by a Tory and then their campaign manager ups and leaves after spilling the beans on their private polling figures.

Oh lordy, that's how you do it. :lol:

And the BBC with that incisive political reporting that only they can do showed footage of Boris Johnson explaining how to make a jam and cream scone.

If this was happening in a third world country we would be laughing at their tin pot democracy.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 27 Nov 2019, 23:08

Apparently as a government appointee he had to resign on dissolution or something, but he doesn't seem to have any official role at all now, not sure it matters that much really it can't take much planning to speed Johnson from empty airplane hanger to cider factory to hospital filled with passive aggressive nurses every day :)

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 28 Nov 2019, 07:16

Copehead wrote:

Dianne Abbott the black woman from a poor background who made it to Cambridge? What have you achieved with your life? CSE in woodwork? Followed many years building up resentment for successful black women by the look of it?

At least Corbyn is brave enough to go an be interviewed by the arch Tory Chairman of the group that owns the Spectator magazine. The general lack of crowing by the right wing press and BBC suggests that he held is own against Neil, no gotchas no nasty moments.

Unlike Johnson.

How can this useless turd negotiate trade deals with Trump's USA if he isn't even brave enough to go and be interviewed by his old boss on the Spectator magazine?

Your endless justifications for why you are are going to vote for this piece of human excrement are one of the main reasons I hang around here more these days, top entertainment.

Mate, you are off the fucking scale! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Playing the race card there is pretty weird and suggests all is not well with you. Look after yourself.

And I think you must be confusing me with someone else - I haven’t given a single justification of why I might vote for Johnson in any of my posts - ever. In fact I have shown nothing but thinly veiled contempt for him.

And if you seriously think Corbyn held his own with Neil you have obviously not been brave enough to watch it. If you can pluck up the courage to do so please come back and give us your take on it.

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 28 Nov 2019, 07:26

The sad thing is, Corbyn has been on this hiding to nothing since he became leader of the opposition.

I fear the worst for him.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 28 Nov 2019, 09:17

Even coming across badly has to be better than avoiding an interview altogether, surely?
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Powehi

Postby Powehi » 28 Nov 2019, 09:29

soundchaser wrote:

The sad thing is, Corbyn has been on this hiding to nothing since he became leader of the opposition.

I fear the worst for him.

The BCB Corbyn massive and the Momentum rent-a-mob who've taken over and made Labour unelectable have the annoying habit of banging on about how anyone who fails to quaff Jezza's Jim Jones-style electoral Kool Aid will somehow be responsible for five more years of Tory misrule.

Quite the contrary.

At the end of the day, it's Corbyn and his advisers and supporters who are bringing this cascade of shit down around their ears. JC's car crash interview with Andrew Neil and its immediate aftermath are just the latest example of their hero's political feet of clay.

When Neil started talking Corbyn and his party's piss-poor track record when it came to anti-semitism, all JC could do was repeatedly start spouting out his and his party's line ("abhor racism in all its forms", yada-yada-yada). Around the same time, Corbyn is giving his critics a field day by appearing on stage with a bunch of people whose backgrounds simply add fuel to the fire whose flames he seems determined to fan rather than extinguish.

When Neil asked Corbyn about Brexit the latter was as every bit as evasive as his political opponents criticise him for being.

When asked about his promise of paying UK£58 billion in compensation to WASPI women, Jezza was unable to satisfactorily answer Neil's queries about where this money might come from.

The hundreds of thousands - millions? - of loyal Labour voters who despair of the mess the Tories have made of the country, are desperate for a halfway decent alternative. An electable Labour party whose vibrancy and vision could - and by now surly would - be paving the way for a huge majority.

What does the Labour party as it stands right now offer?

A bewildered OAP whose nugatory political skills extend no further than making pie-in-the-sky promises supported by nothing more substantial than a theatrical rolling of the eyes and an an exasperated (these pesky young journos!) "Andrew, if you'd just let me finish..."