So, the upcoming UK election...

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Positive Passion
Posts: 1008
Joined: 05 Jul 2017, 23:05

Re: So, the upcoming UK election...

Postby Positive Passion » 30 Oct 2019, 19:54

Hung parliament, Tories the biggest party, and Swinson will do a Clegg and get in with the Tories on condition of a second referendum.

User avatar
Lord Rother
Posts: 6906
Joined: 11 Feb 2009, 11:54
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Re: So, the upcoming UK election...

Postby Lord Rother » 30 Oct 2019, 21:57

Can’t wait to see what Copehead says is going to happen.

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 16783
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: So, the upcoming UK election...

Postby Jimbo » 31 Oct 2019, 02:24

First of all, don't worry, you're staying in. And as a bonus, you'll be joining the EU military! And Corbyn, is still an anti-Semite. He hasn't denounced the Palestinians, not a one. There goes the large, gullible Jewish vote.
... an essential element of this story being impossible, we cannot take seriously the other elements that are before us ... Thierry Meyssan

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 23782
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: In a beautiful place out in the country

Re: So, the upcoming UK election...

Postby Deebank » 31 Oct 2019, 07:01

Jimbo wrote:First of all, don't worry, you're staying in. And as a bonus, you'll be joining the EU military! And Corbyn, is still an anti-Semite. He hasn't denounced the Palestinians, not a one. There goes the large, gullible Jewish vote.


Johnson hasn’t denounced the Palestinians either though... :?
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Powehi
Posts: 1157
Joined: 25 Aug 2016, 17:12

Re: So, the upcoming UK election...

Postby Powehi » 31 Oct 2019, 09:05

Lord Rother wrote:I think people with intelligence knew what Johnson was doing. His failed “promises” won’t harm him much if at all.

We shall see.


The Oct 31 stuff doesn't seem to have put any kind of dent in Johnson's approval rating.

As dismal as his scores deservedly are, he's still far, far ahead of the even lower ratings for Corbyn.

Powehi
Posts: 1157
Joined: 25 Aug 2016, 17:12

Re: So, the upcoming UK election...

Postby Powehi » 31 Oct 2019, 09:45

Lord Rother wrote:Can’t wait to see what Copehead says is going to happen.


Probably much the same as he said in 2010, 2015 and 2017.

While he's off taking on and trouncing political heavyweights on Twitter, why not relive a few of his greatest hits by flicking back through his 163 stored pages of NDL posts...

search.php?keywords=&terms=all&author=Copehead&fid%5B%5D=47&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Alternatively, while he's not here to rip me a new one, why not mix and match the phrases below to create your own Copey 2019 election special?

200-seat Labour majority

Ordinary working people

Ad hominem

Straw man

Tory lickspittle

New Jerusalem

Expert psephologist such as myself

Daily Mail reading running dog

privy to electoral polls dullards like you are unaware of

SS Rustbucket

I pay what taxes I owe

Economically to the right of Attila the Hun

Wales for the Cup!

A bunch of stuff I made up and shoved in the middle of one of my lengthy screeds where no one will see it



Please feel free to add your own favourite Copeyism by cutting and pasting!

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 23782
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: In a beautiful place out in the country

Re: So, the upcoming UK election...

Postby Deebank » 31 Oct 2019, 09:58

Lord Rother wrote:I think people with intelligence knew what Johnson was doing. His failed “promises” won’t harm him much if at all.

We shall see.



I think you're right but I don't think it has anything to do with intelligence.

Everyone knew there was no way we were leaving today. BJ knew. He just kept on bullshitting because that's what he does.

As usual Toby is talking cack.

I can't see Corbyn doing what he did in 2017. Mainly because he faces an opponent that has a perception across the country that is far more favourable than May ever was.



Total bollocks.
It was really that election that sealed May's fate. Before the campaign she was riding much higher than BJ has ever been.

I think the tories have a real problem in that they are exposed to the Lib Dems in a bunch of places - SE, SW, the SNP in Scotland and are projected to lose a load of seats in these areas. They really need to take seats from Labour in Leave-voting northern constiuencies like (famously) Workington to make up the difference and deliver the widely anticipated majority but there is little evidence that Workington Man will ever vote Tory.... Brexit Party, maybe. Tory, no. But then again they could be persuaded back to Labour (in an ideal world).

All that said, I wouldn't put money on any outcome. :?
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 23782
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: In a beautiful place out in the country

Re: So, the upcoming UK election...

Postby Deebank » 31 Oct 2019, 10:00

Powehi wrote:
Lord Rother wrote:Can’t wait to see what Copehead says is going to happen.


Probably much the same as he said in 2010, 2015 and 2017.

While he's off taking on and trouncing political heavyweights on Twitter, why not relive a few of his greatest hits by flicking back through his 163 stored pages of NDL posts...

search.php?keywords=&terms=all&author=Copehead&fid%5B%5D=47&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Alternatively, while he's not here to rip me a new one, why not mix and match the phrases below to create your own Copey 2019 election special?

200-seat Labour majority

Ordinary working people

Ad hominem

Straw man

Tory lickspittle

New Jerusalem

Expert psephologist such as myself

Daily Mail reading running dog

privy to electoral polls dullards like you are unaware of

SS Rustbucket

I pay what taxes I owe

Economically to the right of Attila the Hun

Wales for the Cup!

A bunch of stuff I made up and shoved in the middle of one of my lengthy screeds where no one will see it



Please feel free to add your own favourite Copeyism by cutting and pasting!


Calm down Nick, you'll have an aneurism! :lol:
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

User avatar
The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia
Posts: 45614
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:32
Location: A Metropolis of Discontent

Re: So, the upcoming UK election...

Postby The Prof » 31 Oct 2019, 10:34

My favourite Copehead-ism was when he pronounced that Itsy Teeny Weeny Polka Dot Bikini had sold more vinyl copies than Love Will Tear Us Apart proving definitively that it is a much superior record.

Of course we all still love him though......


don't we? :D

User avatar
Lord Rother
Posts: 6906
Joined: 11 Feb 2009, 11:54
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Re: So, the upcoming UK election...

Postby Lord Rother » 31 Oct 2019, 21:07

An article in The Independent said the following:

“Corbyn should realise that the greatest gift he can give is to make way for someone else who can throw Johnson off balance. A fresh face and voice from an Emily Thornberry....”

I know Corbyn is (probably) a liability but It can’t be so bad that Emily Thornberry would improve their chances can it?

User avatar
Lord Rother
Posts: 6906
Joined: 11 Feb 2009, 11:54
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Re: So, the upcoming UK election...

Postby Lord Rother » 31 Oct 2019, 21:09

Might as well have said Diane Abbott.

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 68514
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: So, the upcoming UK election...

Postby Diamond Dog » 31 Oct 2019, 21:25

A few worried Tories on this thread, aren't there? :)
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything.
When I was a kid, I inhaled. Frequently. That was the point.

User avatar
Lord Rother
Posts: 6906
Joined: 11 Feb 2009, 11:54
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Re: So, the upcoming UK election...

Postby Lord Rother » 31 Oct 2019, 21:51

I should imagine the threat of Corbyn, Thornberry and Abbott in power would be enough to make EVERYONE worried.

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 68514
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: So, the upcoming UK election...

Postby Diamond Dog » 31 Oct 2019, 21:53

Raab, Patel, Gove, Williamson, Truss..... shall we go on?
Last edited by Diamond Dog on 31 Oct 2019, 21:55, edited 1 time in total.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything.
When I was a kid, I inhaled. Frequently. That was the point.

User avatar
Lord Rother
Posts: 6906
Joined: 11 Feb 2009, 11:54
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Re: So, the upcoming UK election...

Postby Lord Rother » 31 Oct 2019, 21:54

Impossible to trump my 3.

User avatar
The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia
Posts: 45614
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:32
Location: A Metropolis of Discontent

Re: So, the upcoming UK election...

Postby The Prof » 31 Oct 2019, 23:00

Lord Rother wrote:I should imagine the threat of Corbyn, Thornberry and Abbott in power would be enough to make EVERYONE worried.


You would be completely wrong then.

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 68514
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: So, the upcoming UK election...

Postby Diamond Dog » 01 Nov 2019, 06:13

The Prof wrote:
Lord Rother wrote:I should imagine the threat of Corbyn, Thornberry and Abbott in power would be enough to make EVERYONE worried.


You would be completely wrong then.


Drops pre-election photo opp bacon sandwich.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything.
When I was a kid, I inhaled. Frequently. That was the point.

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 24514
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: So, the upcoming UK election...

Postby Copehead » 01 Nov 2019, 09:13

Toby wrote: Mainly because he faces an opponent that has a perception across the country that is far more favourable than May ever was. Whilst one can't believe what polls say in their entirety, Johnson leads Corbyn as a more favourable PM across all age spectrums, even at 18 to 24.

In 2017 Corbyn was still in a bit of a honeymoon even though the disaster of his leadership was becoming apparent slowly but surely. Two years on and he's really not improved matters on any front - anti-semitism, Brexit, defections etc. The Liberal Democrats have become the party of Remain (even if that's a complete waste of time).

He really does have it all to do in terms of staving off disaster for the Labour party, given that the Brexit Party are ready to do a deal with the Tories (whether the latter will accept it is another matter) in Labour heartlands.

And what is worse is that I feel Corbyn will still be there doggedly after the election, ready to hand over the leadership of the party to one of his Maoist clique - content that he's driven the party into the ground in terms of shedding any New Labour remnants. Perhaps for him it's job done - they can continue to rebuild the party in their vision.

And yet, and yet, he is a great campaigner. It's what he does best (there is little else) and he is in his element. So maybe he'll perform better than expected (again) and give Johnson a bloody nose.

The Guardian suggests Johnson might win a 58 seat majority. I don't think it'll be that much - perhaps closer to 10 to 15 seats at most - but he does have the ability to shrug off issues, slights and perceptions in a way that few politicians can. He has charisma and humour and most crucially, he has managed to frame the battle of Brexit as him and against a truculent and problematic Parliament.


It's just like 2017 has been written out of history and the fact that Johnson is roundly booed every time he steps outside his front door is airbrushed out of the news like some sort of North Korean tribute, at least by the BBC who would have it on a permanent loop if it happened to Corbyn.

I fully expect Johnson to play a round of golf in a world record score within the next few days. And they try and claim Corbyn supporters are a cult :lol:

But best of all I love the way the Tobes uses words he obviously doesn't understand like Maoist.

I am in this one for the lols
I'm Jay Z on a bad day, Shakespeare on my worst days

Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 24514
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: So, the upcoming UK election...

Postby Copehead » 01 Nov 2019, 09:22

Lord Rother wrote:Can’t wait to see what Copehead says is going to happen.


I have no idea.

The polling companies have gone full on rogue with their methodology, massaging raw data to tell a narrative that looks increasingly at odds with reality.

They still cling to the idea that the overwhelmingly Labour supporting under 40s don't give a shit about politics and won't turn out to vote despite all the evidence that they are politicised and very angry about their lot. They overwhelmingly support Labour for its anti-austerity and green economy message.

The discrepancy between raw numbers and poll numbers has now become ridiculous, they have decided that 2017 was an aberration and not the new normal.

Hundreds of thousands of young people have registered to vote over the last few weeks, you don't do that if you don't care about voting.

Millions of Tories continue to die because they are old, hopefully most of them are too scared to walk outside in December for fear of falls and that will depress numbers.

There is also a massive appetite for tactical voting to get an anti-brexit government in , that plays into Labours hands as the only possible outcome for that will be a second referendum.

So a very interesting poll that the Tories will try and make all about Brexit and the Labour Party will try and make all about the ruination of the UK brought about by the Tories.

Without plausible polling you just have to go with what you see and seeing as that is based on what political media you use.

But that fact that Corbyn gets adoring crowds every time he goes outside whereas Johnson gets roundly booed suggests that perhaps the narrative that the political media are peddling may not be entirely honest.
I'm Jay Z on a bad day, Shakespeare on my worst days

Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 24514
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: So, the upcoming UK election...

Postby Copehead » 01 Nov 2019, 09:28

Jimbo wrote:First of all, don't worry, you're staying in. And as a bonus, you'll be joining the EU military! And Corbyn, is still an anti-Semite. He hasn't denounced the Palestinians, not a one. There goes the large, gullible Jewish vote.


The Jewish vote in the UK is tiny, the muslim vote is huge.

Even if the lifelong anti-racism campaigner Corbyn was an anti-semite, and he isn't, the political calculation in supporting Palestine rights is very positive.

The funny thing is the Muslim vote is inherently conservative and yet the Tories cannot help being a party of real racists and they alienate a constituency that they could wrap up if they weren't such casual racists like Johnson.
I'm Jay Z on a bad day, Shakespeare on my worst days

Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.