Secret Santa 2019 Sign Up Time!!

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Jimbo

Re: Secret Santa 2019 Sign Up Time!!

Postby Jimbo » 26 Dec 2019, 07:21

Jumper K wrote:Thanks Jimbo, amazingly generous. A veritable Japanese smorgasbord of confectionary, stationary and a t-shirt with some writing on it! I'm hoping it doesn't say something like 'the wearer if this is a dick', or I will be an object of ridicule in the mid-Somerset Japanese community.

My pleasure, Frank. My wife will be thrilled you are enjoying the gift. When she saw how sloppily I was chucking your stuff into the box she - as her wont - took over and made your present presentable. Written on the T-shirt is the name of our town here, "Koganei". Merry Christmas and happy New Year! :D
Mentally replace all the doofy company logos on people’s cars and clothing with the word “CAPITALISM”. C. Johnstone

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 26 Dec 2019, 18:50

Jimbo wrote:
Jumper K wrote:Thanks Jimbo, amazingly generous. A veritable Japanese smorgasbord of confectionary, stationary and a t-shirt with some writing on it! I'm hoping it doesn't say something like 'the wearer if this is a dick', or I will be an object of ridicule in the mid-Somerset Japanese community.

My pleasure, Frank. My wife will be thrilled you are enjoying the gift. When she saw how sloppily I was chucking your stuff into the box she - as her wont - took over and made your present presentable. Written on the T-shirt is the name of our town here, "Koganei". Merry Christmas and happy New Year! :D

There was me being impressed with you packaging skills. :lol:

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 28 Dec 2019, 07:31

Jimbo wrote:OMG!!! Thank you Yves (Neige) for your beautifully wrapped and labeled present. I'll get to the Sophie Hunger CD and the Matt Ruff book soon enough, meanwhile I have those wonderful cookies and spongy teddy bear cakes to consume, especially with me on a diet. But that chocolate. OMG!!! I am eating those cubes of the finest Swiss chocolate with coffee right now and I am in heaven! Thank you not so Secret Santa. Merry Christmas my friend. :D

You're very welcome, Jimbo!

Oh our brethren from the Americas (via the Far East), typically mixing up their European geography... :roll: :P ;)

... Yves is the remaining BCBer from Belgium - I'm the token Swiss, my name is Felix... and I'm often as clumsy and awkward as my namesake in The Odd Couple.

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoy the various specialties and I agree, our local chocolate cubes really are a delight! And I'm curious about what you make of our Sophie and the Matt Ruff novel...

Wishing you happy belated Hanukkah and a fabulous and healthy new year!
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Neige
Alpine Numpty

Postby Neige » 28 Dec 2019, 12:54

Sent:

Minnie
Jimbo
DD
Neige
TWFNO
Balls
oliltownofkathlehem
Hightea

Received

oliltownofkathlehem
DD (assuming the unexpected parcel that arrived yesterday isn't actually a bomb).
Balls
TWFNO
Jimbo - cookies and chocolate from Switzerland!!! C'mon Christmas ..
Hightea - thanks SS (I know who! ) pralines hitting the spot just back from NYC .
Neige :P :P :P

Neige
Alpine Numpty

Postby Neige » 28 Dec 2019, 15:10

So here's what I got:

A special SS compilation CD I'll listen to asap - nice, I had thought that sort of thing was out of fashion.
Some live recordings by proggy favourites of mine, Hatfield and Camel
A fabulous Boss Hog t-shirt
A fragrant Christmas candle
and last but by far not least, some original Beatles cards!!

Thanks, Secret Santa, I'm guessing you must be Hightea! :P

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 28 Dec 2019, 16:15

My secret Santa arrived!
Secret Santa brought me pomfret cakes - jars of sweets - an accurate card - Rebel Rebel by Chris Sullivan - The Etymologicon by Mark Forsyth - some Kate Bush comic material - albums by Bowie, Elvis Costello and Anoushka Lucas - thank you so much! I am especially thrilled with the books as I’m getting on VERY long flight today xx
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 28 Dec 2019, 20:24

Big thanks to my Not So Secret Satan!

Smashing gifts from the wisest of men: cheese, chocolate and noise!!

Happy Christmas and all the best for 2020 to you Frank.
Give a shit or be a shit.

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 28 Dec 2019, 23:08

Tom Waits For No One wrote:Big thanks to my Not So Secret Satan!

Smashing gifts from the wisest of men: cheese, chocolate and noise!!

Happy Christmas and all the best for 2020 to you Frank.

A pleasure squire! Have a marvellous 2020 too Kev.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 31 Dec 2019, 15:45

Neige wrote:And I'm curious about what you make of our Sophie and the Matt Ruff novel...

While I haven't read an actual whole book in ages - audio books being my thing these days - I am making a special effort just for you Felix with the Matt Ruff. I am more than halfway through it. While the tone is a little derivative of Carl Hiaasin IMO I'll have no problem finishing it. It is that good! I've yet to hit the big conspiracy part yet. Hope I'm not disappointed. And we enjoyed the Sophie Hunger CD along with our New Year dinner this evening. She is certainly talented and hard to pin down stylistically, maybe a little Byork-y. My wife, son and I enjoyed CD one but at some point on CD two my wife said, "Okay, this is getting a little annoying." :D
Mentally replace all the doofy company logos on people’s cars and clothing with the word “CAPITALISM”. C. Johnstone

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 01 Jan 2020, 20:29

My sincere apologies to my Secret Santa for my tardiness in 'reporting back' on here.

What can I say? I received :
a) A John Lennon "The Fat Budgie" card
b) A "Christmas" CD from The Players ( Andy Mackay ensemble... and SIGNED by him)
c) A "Now Then Now Then" Jimmy Savile mug (!)
d) An Everton F.C. Flashing Glitter Bauble
e) A Paul Du Noyer book "Liverpool - Wondrous Place" with foreword by Sir Macca, and
f) An Everton blue (with white writing) T shirt, proclaiming "I'd Rather Walk Alone". :lol: :lol:

Kev - you are a fucking star. I love you man :) Thank you so very much.
Español castillo mágico.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
This is where they walked, swam, Hunted, danced and sang, Take a picture here,Take a souvenir

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 06 Jan 2020, 09:56

You’re very welcome Pete.

Big thanks again for organising this ever decreasing but always wonderful BCB tradition.

I hope you don’t go through with calling it quits.

All the best for 2020 one and all.
Give a shit or be a shit.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 10 Jan 2020, 15:49

Let's see how it goes.... I would love to continue the tradition but it really does need a) people to be punctual and b) more people (if possible) coming onboard.
Español castillo mágico.
This is where they walked, swam, Hunted, danced and sang, Take a picture here,Take a souvenir

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 10 Jan 2020, 15:54

Anyhow - the reveal :

From -> To

DD- Minnie
Minnie - Kath
Kath - Hightea
Hightea - Neige
Neige- Jimbo
Jimbo- Jumper K
Jumper K - TWFNO
TWFNO - DD.

Well done everyone :D
Español castillo mágico.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 10 Jan 2020, 19:26

Yes, well done all. Hope you’re ok, Kath!

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 12 Jan 2020, 03:44

Yes, thank you DD for organizing it.

Still haven't finished the book Neige sent me, Bad Monkeys by Matt Ruff. The bookmark is set at page 181 in a 227 page book with large print, and yet while it is exciting and funny old man me reads four pages and I'm gone. But I'm getting there. Maybe it is precisely because I am getting toward the end I am slowing my pace. Maybe I don't want to the book to end. Maybe I don't want to lose the characters from my "friends" list. Books are like that, you know. Jeez, it's been a long time since I've read a whole book.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 15 Jan 2020, 15:35

Minnie the Minx wrote:Yes, well done all. Hope you’re ok, Kath!

i am indeeed. so sorry for the belated response. outta town for a few weeks along with more chaos that will remain undisclosed mwhaha.

thank you for such sweeet and thoughtful gifts. i love all of it. well, past tense for the candy of course (did you know almond is my fave? my male spawn's too, strangely enough.) a book i haven't had the chance to read yet, but judging by the jacket info, it looks so very much like... my kinda thing. ya. a whole foods card, moisturizer, all of it wrapped so groovily (my sister stole some of that paper.) the cd is beautiful. every track. i don't recognize all of it but the hitchcock and wyatt so lovely... and yes, a kate bush track i absolutely love. write it down. there is something, a vibe so dreamy yet deep and moving about the tracks. well, i've listened to it many times.

thank you for the sentiments on the card as well. this year is a new chapter, one i am intent on writing richly and happily... with all sorts of goofy flowery illumination in the fucquin margins.

::::::::::::::smack::::::::::::::

p.s. and as ever, thanks pete for keeping this tradition alive. it is sweet and good, thru and thru.

happy new year, people.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 16 Jan 2020, 17:15

I will send you playlist as soon as I am back in US! Good to hear from you my dear x

Dr Markus wrote: