Are you superstitious?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Flower

Are you superstitious?

Postby Flower » 24 Oct 2019, 22:37

I've been thinking about Halloween. (Sadly, I haven't sorted out the candy situation yet.) Is anyone superstitious and/or do you have rituals based on some sort of superstition?

Black cats cross my path every day but that doesn't mean anything .. or it can explain a lot.

My best friend used to and probably still does .. keeps her thumbs up when passing a cemetery.

As a child, I watched many classic horror movies, again this explains a lot. So, I would only sleep on my side facing away from the window so that I won't hear the vampires tapping on the window to be invited in.

I had a boyfriend who had me sleep on the side of the bed nearest the door. This was in case a serial killer or monster came in, they would take me first. i took this to heart and my husband sleeps nearest the door for that reason. I told him why but he only laughs. You never know.

My dad believes that if accidentally walk in sh*t that it will bring you good luck ... :lol:
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Six String

Re: Are you superstitious?

Postby Six String » 25 Oct 2019, 04:19

I cold only answer after reading the OP seven times.

No, I'm not really superstitious but sometimes I play along.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 25 Oct 2019, 04:28

Flower wrote: keeps her thumbs up when passing a cemetery.

Her thumbs up what?

When I buy a lottery ticket I place it onto a shrine I've created in the handles of the dish cupboard. I'll say a few words and think some good thoughts and then bow assured (again) that this time will be our turn.
... an essential element of this story being impossible, we cannot take seriously the other elements that are before us ... Thierry Meyssan

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 25 Oct 2019, 07:56

Nope, not superstitious at all. I don't need any mumbo jumbo to help me, touch wood.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Flower

Postby Flower » 25 Oct 2019, 11:44

Jimbo wrote:
Flower wrote: keeps her thumbs up when passing a cemetery.

Her thumbs up what?

When I buy a lottery ticket I place it onto a shrine I've created in the handles of the dish cupboard. I'll say a few words and think some good thoughts and then bow assured (again) that this time will be our turn.

Her thumbs up in the air are supposed to keep her out of the cemetery as a resident .. so far, it's worked.

My lotto tickets go on the fridge upside down under a magnet .. only works some of the time but haven't won much more that a free ticket. I did win $108.00 a few months ago and twenty bucks a few times. All in all, I haven't lost much money as I often get "free" tickets. :)

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 25 Oct 2019, 14:21

I don't even say anything when people sneeze, that's how much of a hardcore anti-superstitionist I am!
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Flower

Postby Flower » 25 Oct 2019, 14:52

harvey k-tel wrote:I don't even say anything when people sneeze, that's how much of a hardcore anti-superstitionist I am!

:lol: I remember a girl in one of my classes in around the 8th grade saying that if you sneeze and if no one gives you a "God Bless You or a Bless You" that you'll die. She told me that if someone thought "it" that it would count. I recall asking her "what will happen if you're alone" .. she had no reply. I haven't died yet or at least not to my knowledge .. :)

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 25 Oct 2019, 16:55

Flower wrote: All in all, I haven't lost much money as I often get "free" tickets. :)

In Japan the Lotto lady gives losers 300 yen cash (coin). The last time I brought my ten pack of tickets to see if I had won she gave me 300 yen. But because I'm an obnoxious asshole I pretended the 300 yen was a win and I screamed, "I won! I won!" Not one passerby gave me a look of congratulations. The Lotto lady smiled.
... an essential element of this story being impossible, we cannot take seriously the other elements that are before us ... Thierry Meyssan

Flower

Postby Flower » 25 Oct 2019, 19:12

:lol: Just think that in shouting that you won ... you could've been mugged in NYC or the French Quarter or other places.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 26 Oct 2019, 00:32

Flower wrote:I had a boyfriend who had me sleep on the side of the bed nearest the door. This was in case a serial killer or monster came in, they would take me first.

Who says chivalry is dead?

I don't go out of my way to walk under ladders, but I don't mind if it happens. The only one that I don't do is put a hat on a bed. Not that I wear hats very often, but it seems like a valid one. It seems wrong to do.

I am a bit OCD when I walk on sidewalks. I sort of count the number of cracks, and make sure I'm crossing an even number of them with L and R steps. And if I get a few off, I have to switch steps, or even imagine that the next step is coming with the other foot! it's obviously all in the mind, so whatever works at that moment to satisfy my need for L/R balance.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Flower

Postby Flower » 26 Oct 2019, 02:25

I just remembered after reading about the hat on the bed that my mother always said that putting shoes on a table is bad luck.