No votes
Riddled with maggots
33%

Total votes: 3

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Ground beef vs steak/roast beef

Postby Jimbo » 08 Oct 2019, 11:27

The other day my wife made "hambagoo", which is a hamburger on a platter and is different from a "hambagah", a hamburger sandwich. Anyway, my wife's hambagoo, along with her special sauce was so delicious I blurted out that I think I prefer ground beef to steak. That ground beef was much cheaper and still delicious may have swayed me into the ground beef camp. And think of other great things you can make with ground beef. You never hear of spaghetti and steak bits do you? But mamma mia! Meatballs! Love em! And meatloaf. A cold meatloaf sandwich ... duh. No brainer. So which is it? BCB snobs and good Brits to boot will rave about roast beef and those incredible potatoes. I hear you but a burger. A good burger. A shitty burger. Yum.
Question authority.

Flower

Re: Ground beef vs steak/roast beef

Postby Flower » 08 Oct 2019, 12:44

I don't eat lots of red meat but enjoy both "chopped meat" as New Yorkers call "ground beef" and steak and/or pot roast. Yes, there are many uses for chopped meat/ground beef but the came can be said for steak/pot roast/roast beef.

I often cut up leftover steak (I prefer it medium rare) into bite size pieces, wrap them in tin foil and heat this in the toaster oven. I then add the warm steak bites/pieces (and sometimes warm cut up new potatoes) to a salad. Toss it with an Italian dressing of some sort and it's a nice "meal salad" .....

I mix leftover pot roast with rice and peas for an interesting dish.

Chopped meat as has many uses but steak, pot roast and roast beef can also be used in hot open sandwiches.

My vote would be tied but since I had some great pot roast the other week, it would swing that way today.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 08 Oct 2019, 12:57

Flower wrote:"meal salad" .....

Fantastic. Dunno if they still serve salad at Japanese McDonald's but they did a few years back. I was on a diet and I'd order the cheapest burger and a salad. I'd immediately throw away the bun and then rip apart the burger meat (chopped beef) into the mostly lettuce salad. It tasted pretty good I must say. :)
Question authority.

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 08 Oct 2019, 18:11

Ground beef is versatile. A decent steak is a glory. Roast beef is nearly always a waste.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 09 Oct 2019, 00:03

Positive Passion wrote:A decent steak is a glory.

I won't argue with this but having had what are supposed to be great steaks - and paying a lot for them, I gotta say I ain't gonna play that steak game no more. I'll buy raw steak if it is cheap Aussie beef or Japanese beef with a day old discount, and I gotta say, too, that my home made cheapos taste as good as any I've paid a lot for. It is really apples and oranges comparing a steak to a burger even though they come from the same animal, but still, I'd rather have meatloaf in a NJ Turnpike diner than a Ruth's Chris steak - unless you are paying. ;)
Question authority.

Flower

Postby Flower » 10 Oct 2019, 22:25

For some reason, this thread made me think of the Debris Sandwich at Mother's in New Orleans.

https://www.mothersrestaurant.net/

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 10 Oct 2019, 23:53

Flower wrote:For some reason, this thread made me think of the Debris Sandwich at Mother's in New Orleans.

https://www.mothersrestaurant.net/

Oh I will vouch for that thing.

With some pickle flavor potato chips.

And Cole slaw.

Two or three of the greatest sandwiches of all time can be had there. Shrimp. Catfish. But debris is better there than at most pads.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 10 Oct 2019, 23:59

I abstain, they both have their uses. Ground can be profound despite it's humble rep.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 11 Oct 2019, 00:05

bobzilla77 wrote: Ground can be profound despite it's humble rep.

Well said, sir. That could be a thread. "profound despite it's humble rep".
Question authority.

Flower

Postby Flower » 12 Oct 2019, 18:19

Yes, ground beef can be profound and is certainly versatile .. it isn't always humble. Think about it, you can get ground chuck or ground sirloin.It certainly isn't as inexpensive as it was once upon a time but what is .. sigh.

Return to “Nextdoorland”