Raph R.I.P.

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Re: Raph R.I.P.

Postby Still Baron » 07 Oct 2019, 14:48

Like Charlie and Harvey, I never met him in person, but everything out there pointed to a great guy. I’m sorry I never met him and I’m sorry to see him go.

If you’re in touch with him on FB, Doctor Jimmy wrote something that was probably extra poignant after being translated imprecisely by FB, as these things can be.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 07 Oct 2019, 14:57

So very sad to learn of this.

RIP Raph

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 07 Oct 2019, 16:36

Walk In My Shadow wrote:I was at his wedding, he was at mine.

and Sam and I were at both

:(
The Complete Roxy Music Mp3 set now available in the usual place, should you want one.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 07 Oct 2019, 19:58

Damn. Another one gone.

Likewise never met him, but seems like a good guy. And, as Baron stated, Dr. Jimmy's tribute was lovely.
Jimbo wrote:My point is to save the world from WWIII.

Jimbo wrote:Trump is right. The collusion conspiracy theory has been debunked and you seem to refuse to look at the evidence.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017 2018

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 07 Oct 2019, 19:59

Bit lost for words. I knew it was coming but, even so....

Terribly kind, beautiful and funny.

RIP Raph, you lovely, handsome man.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything.
When I was a kid, I inhaled. Frequently. That was the point.

Six String

Postby Six String » 08 Oct 2019, 00:23

Another good man is gone. R.I.P. Raph.

T. Berry Shuffle
sharp-eyed archivist

Postby T. Berry Shuffle » 09 Oct 2019, 18:42

Mssr. Baron passed this somber news along to me this morning, how truly sad. I am very fortunate to have had the pleasure of meeting Raph many years ago. What a supremely fucking lovely soul he was. Words seem rather absurdly incapable of fully describing the man, but if you’ve ever felt completely comfortable and at peace in the presence of another human being ever in your life that is what it felt like to share a space with Raph, even upon first meeting him. He radiated something completely unique, welcoming, and beautiful.

I’m fairly sure that I was among a gaggle, perhaps the one that Rorschach mentioned, who collected Raph from the train station for a jolly up. There was a great group of us all outfitted in dark colored overcoats; Slider, Rorschach, Teabag, myself, and I’m thinking maybe Nikki Gradual, Yomp and a few others even – possibly Diamond Dog. This would have been around 2002 I believe. We looked like a portly strain of the cast of Reservoir Dogs.

Raph on the other hand was positively regal, wild haired and bearded, in a suit jacket and possessed of some mysterious saintly aura. People in the street kept looking at him as if they were trying to figure out who he was. He walked between Neil Teabag and myself and commented to me of feeling like Leonard Cohen or Tom Waits, surrounded by an entourage of body guards as we made our way to the King’s Arms. (We may have been going to a pub to watch footy – much drink was had and it’s hard to be sure, this memory has been filed for a while)

However, many other things I am quite certain of, he positively radiated joy and everyone who encountered him during our revelry was instantly swept up in it. He was absolutely at peace in his skin the way all awakened beings are. He was memorable in a way that few people can match. He was likely to break into song at any moment, at one point he regaled us with a spontaneous French and English version of “The Piano Has Been Drinking” that I can hear even as I type this through misty eyes. What a tremendously lovely man, sincerely.

I recall that Nikki Gradual graciously provided about four of us with a place to stay that long weekend and Raph was among that otherwise dreadful lot of lodgers. He and I stayed up late drinking Mr. Gradual’s gin, after a day full of drinking. He was profusely knowledgeable of a panacea of topics. What struck me most was his great generosity of spirit, his fearlessness of deep conversational waters, and the complete openness with which he shared every detail during conversation. He spoke to me about his brother’s recent passing, the mystery of love, music, art, and essentially the sheer joy of getting to wake up every day and be a part of the dance. I learned a lot sitting there with Raph.

There’s a quote that has been attributed to a few different individuals that reads: “I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel”.

That’s definitely true of Raphaël Schraepen. There is no forgetting the way he could make you feel. I only enjoyed his company for a few days and didn’t know him as well as some here did, Slider specifically. Though we sent PMs and emails to each other occasionally we didn’t keep in close contact. But I sure as hell loved the man and was thoroughly pleased with the awareness that he was out there in the world moving through the throng with that beatific light of the ones who know. And now, sadly, he is gone from the physical realm to live only in our hearts.

Sail on Raph, we are all better off having known you.
You read that in a book, didn't you?!

Six String

Postby Six String » 09 Oct 2019, 21:54

Lovely post Jamie. Thanks for that as I'm not on Facebook and can't read Dr. Jimmy's homage.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 10 Oct 2019, 08:41

That is beautiful, young Shovel
x
The Complete Roxy Music Mp3 set now available in the usual place, should you want one.

Kid P
'scientific' type

Postby Kid P » 10 Oct 2019, 09:21

Only ever met the bloke the once, at the Ghent JU

Seemed a decent cove, to say the least

Rest easy, Raph
God Of Thunder wrote:being a Paul McCartney fan is a bit like being his mom...

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 26 Oct 2019, 08:28

Monique sent this yesterday

Chers Vous tous,

Certains d'entre vous, présents aux funérailles de mon Bel Homme, m'ont dit souhaiter obtenir la liste des morceaux qu'il avait lui-même choisis pour cette ultime cérémonie.

Comme je ne sais trop comment vous remercier de toutes les marques de sympathie, d'empathie, de soutien que j'ai reçus durant ces derniers mois, je me dis que le mieux est encore de vous faire parvenir cette liste de moreaux ainsi que le texte qu'il a rédigé le 3 septembre dernier, aux fins qu'il soit lu lors de ses funérailles.
Car, au bout du compte, comment mieux vous exprimer ma profonde reconnaissance qu'en vous transmettant ses derniers mots ?

Je joins également à ce message la photo que j'ai utilisée pour la carte-souvenir de Raphaël (prise il y a deux ans par son ami Philippe C.) et celle que j'ai prise de lui en janvier dernier, lors d'une petite balade en amoureux sur le quai voisin, et qui était déposée sur son cercueil.

Je vous embrasse tous et toutes,

Monique

--------------------------------------------------------

Raph's last wishes:
Liège, le 3 septembre 2019

Je vous ferai parvenir un CD avec les musiques que j'aimerais voir diffusées.
DION : Tomorrow's A Long Time/Everybody's Talkin' (durant l'entrée)
FRED NEIL : The Water Is Wide (moment au choix)
BUFFY SAINTE-MARIE : Song Of The French Partisan (moment au choix)
HANS KRASA : Brundibar (sous le titre bizarre de Piste 7) (après mon « testament »)
ROLF LISLEVAND : Passacaglia (durant la sortie)
ILSE WEBER : Wiegala (remise de l'urne)

Le message que je voudrais transmettre, mon « testament », est le suivant. Vous choisirez qui peut être le ou la meilleure pour le dire.

« Petit à petit, j'ai compris qu'une des raisons pour lesquelles il est bon d'être sur terre, c'est de pouvoir transmettre les connaissances réelles que l'on a acquises. Celles-ci peuvent être modestes, en apparence tout au moins, mais nous avons tous, ou presque, la possibilité de faire passer quelque chose qui n'est pas du ressort du scolaire ni de l'encyclopédie, ou pas encore ! Comme professeur d'anglais en remédiation scolaire, j'ai appris à faire comprendre autrement . Ce ne fut pas toujours académique et je ne sais pas si j'ai réussi à chaque fois. Mais c'était le début de cette transmission, qui a continué avec la volonté de faire connaître les résistances des enfants et des adolescents par l'art, l'empathie et la musique à Terezin entre fin 1941 et 1945. Il y avait, il y a peut-être encore tellement peu en français sur ce vaste sujet que j'ai voulu apporter ma petite contribution. Mais tous, vous pouvez transmettre.

Autre chose. Jamais, jamais on ne m’a aimé comme ma Monique chérie m’a aimé. J’espère lui avoir donné autant d’amour. En tout cas, même si je ne suis plus là, l’amour que je lui voue ne finit pas. Ce n’est pas de la mystico-cruchonnerie, mot inventé par elle qu’elle emploie souvent, mais il n’y a aucune raison que l’amour s’arrête comme ça. Qu’elle se sente aimée toute sa vie. »

Après ceci, mettre la musique Hans Krasa, Brundibar.

Je vous remercie et vous embrasse,

Raphaël Schraepen

HEN

Postby HEN » 26 Oct 2019, 10:45

i feel incredibly sad reading this. God bless you, Raph. undoubtedly one of the nicest BCB'ers i've met. i remember having an arm-wrestle with him. of course, he won.

RIP.
GoogaMooga wrote:Alright everybody, the latest thrift shop discovery is, in one word, WOW...!