Yeehaw! I’m a ‘Merican!

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Yeehaw! I’m a ‘Merican!

Postby Minnie the Minx » 19 Sep 2019, 19:09

I had my US citizenship ceremony today, in San Antonio. I hadn't really given any thought to becoming a citizen and would happily have stayed a legal permanent resident, but living in a country where I couldn't vote and could still potentially be deported was no longer an option. Our immigration attorney told us that so many of his clients have become citizens to do exactly that - vote.

There were people from all over the world, and this was precisely what made the ceremony exciting. An oddly emotional experience was when we all stood, and stayed standing, when our country of origin was read out. Watching the world slowly climbing to its feet was really thrilling. Even more so, the attitudes of all the staff hosting the ceremony who made it known that we were welcome and they were overjoyed to have us there. All the officials, all the hosts, the band, the helpers, were just delighted to be taking part. The USCIS guy immediately asked us if we were all going to vote and there was a rumble of "you fucking bet" in very many accents.

There were families there who were clinging to their loved ones afterwards in the certainty that they had finally found home. There were tears and photos and whatnot, and though it was a practicality for me to be able to vote, I left the hall with a resolve to stop viewing the US as somewhere I was passing through (albeit for a long time) and instead view it as somewhere to start becoming active.

I now have two citizenships. Next year I will claim my Estonian one too, just to keep the bases covered!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Sneelock

Re: Yeehaw! I’m a ‘Merican!

Postby Sneelock » 19 Sep 2019, 19:36

your next beer will, of course, have an eagle on the label

A word of advice, no Republican will ever respect anything you say when you say it with an English accent unless you are a gay Fascist supporter.
funny how that works.

congrats!
"well, if THIS isn't nice, I don't know what is!" KVJ

John aka Josh

Postby John aka Josh » 19 Sep 2019, 20:01

Minnie the Minx wrote:I had my US citizenship ceremony today, in San Antonio. I hadn't really given any thought to becoming a citizen and would happily have stayed a legal permanent resident, but living in a country where I couldn't vote and could still potentially be deported was no longer an option. Our immigration attorney told us that so many of his clients have become citizens to do exactly that - vote.

There were people from all over the world, and this was precisely what made the ceremony exciting. An oddly emotional experience was when we all stood, and stayed standing, when our country of origin was read out. Watching the world slowly climbing to its feet was really thrilling. Even more so, the attitudes of all the staff hosting the ceremony who made it known that we were welcome and they were overjoyed to have us there. All the officials, all the hosts, the band, the helpers, were just delighted to be taking part. The USCIS guy immediately asked us if we were all going to vote and there was a rumble of "you fucking bet" in very many accents.

There were families there who were clinging to their loved ones afterwards in the certainty that they had finally found home. There were tears and photos and whatnot, and though it was a practicality for me to be able to vote, I left the hall with a resolve to stop viewing the US as somewhere I was passing through (albeit for a long time) and instead view it as somewhere to start becoming active.

I now have two citizenships. Next year I will claim my Estonian one too, just to keep the bases covered!

Congratulations - every vote counts.

I'm thinking about claiming Polish citizenship - I'm thoughtfully letting my older sister find all the documentation & go through it first.

Six String

Postby Six String » 19 Sep 2019, 20:12

Congrats Anna. Your reasons are sound of course. I have a friend from Scotland that got her green card recently and she was thrilled. I'm pretty sure she will continue to a path of citizenship at so e point.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 19 Sep 2019, 20:26

Fantastic stuff! Congratulations and YES those ceremonies will melt even the most hardened heart.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Flower

Postby Flower » 19 Sep 2019, 20:35

YAY! One for the good guys. Happy for you err .. y'all.

When you do become a Texas citizen? :D
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 19 Sep 2019, 23:16

Congratulations, Anna, and welcome aboard!

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 20 Sep 2019, 01:31

Are you a Trump fan? You're not? Then come right in!!

Can we trade him in for you?

Seriously, congrats. You radical types are needed here. Particularly in Texas.
Jimbo wrote:My point is to save the world from WWIII.

Jimbo wrote:Trump is right. The collusion conspiracy theory has been debunked and you seem to refuse to look at the evidence.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017 2018 2019?

C
Robust

Postby C » 20 Sep 2019, 15:44

Congratulations Anna

Kick Trump's arse/ass

Deebank wrote:
Johnny Fartpants wrote:Bring back the tits!

They've got their own forum now.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 20 Sep 2019, 16:01

With the electoral college I'm not sure that every vote does count, though if Texas can ever go back to being a blue state then that will all change of course. Anyway, congrats Anna! You are now three people - an English woman, an American, and a Texan.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 20 Sep 2019, 16:24

Matt Wilson wrote:With the electoral college I'm not sure that every vote does count, though if Texas can ever go back to being a blue state then that will all change of course. Anyway, congrats Anna! You are now three people - an English woman, an American, and a Texan.

:D
I’m also a Yorkshirewoman, Estonian, and I invented ratatouille!

You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 20 Sep 2019, 16:25

The Dems have a better chance of winning in Texas than they have in the past few decades, so we’ll see. It’s always been about turnout, and the non-Republicans just never turn out.

It’s particularly pressing/galling for us because even though we live in an ocean of blue here in South Austin our congressional district is so gerrymandered that a peach named Chip Roy represents us in the House. He has a strong challenger so I really want to see him knocked out. I’ve lived in so many solidly red districts in my life that it really pisses me off that now that I live in such blue territory, I’m represented by such a cretin.

Min’s citizenship has lots of legal benefits apart from voting and sitting on juries and running for office. Now if we bail on the US for awhile we can always come back without having to go through immigration hassles. Also, they can’t deport her if she gets into a fight with someone looking at their cell phone while they’re driving, which neuters my main pitch to keep her from public affrays.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 20 Sep 2019, 16:49

If Texas could be blue again I would love it. I just don't hold too much hope. I don't see any of those Southern states seeing reason any time soon.

Hope I'm wrong.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 20 Sep 2019, 16:57

Matt Wilson wrote:If Texas could be blue again I would love it. I just don't hold too much hope. I don't see any of those Southern states seeing reason any time soon.

Hope I'm wrong.

I'm hearing that some polls show Sanders beating Trump.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epoll ... -6819.html
All the worst atrocities in human history have been perfectly legal. Caitlin Johnstone

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 20 Sep 2019, 17:02

Warren and Biden too!
:P
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 20 Sep 2019, 17:10

Yeah, I've seen those polls.

We'll see.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 20 Sep 2019, 17:41

Still Baron wrote:Min’s citizenship has lots of legal benefits apart from voting and sitting on juries and running for office. Now if we bail on the US for awhile we can always come back without having to go through immigration hassles. Also, they can’t deport her if she gets into a fight with someone looking at their cell phone while they’re driving, which neuters my main pitch to keep her from public affrays.

Good stuff BUT I gotta admit when hard-core right wingers (Stephen Miller) start making noise about naturalized citizens and permanent residents it wigs me out.

Hopefully that's just me being a Commie pinko bed-wetting liberal wimp, but you never can tell...
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 21 Sep 2019, 02:44

Woderful news, Anna!

Now run for public office!
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 21 Sep 2019, 08:07

Great news! Happy to have you. The coalition for sanity is weak right now. We need you!
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 21 Sep 2019, 12:04

Congrats Anna! Every vote counts in Texas.