Calling gardeners and the imaginative: Uses of a Belfast sink..?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
C
Robust

Calling gardeners and the imaginative: Uses of a Belfast sink..?

Postby C » 08 Sep 2019, 16:11

We have two original 1920s Belfast sinks in our garden (not Butler - see historical note below)

One is fully functional - running water, connected drainage for washing rugby boots etc.

The other one is completely free standing and had been planted with herbs, Trouble is Mrs C and I are not gardeners and it has failed miserably.

It has now been relegated to another part of the garden.

So, my question is has anybody any bright ideas for a good use for this smart bit of kit?

Okay - let's pre-empt the smart arses/asses - 'use it to burn your Gentle Giant albums' [one can substitute any prog band here]

Let's also eliminate:

- make into a water feature
- plant something in it [see above's failure]

So dear friends ideas please.

The winner will have the honour of the said Belfast sink named after them

eg 'Minnie's Sink'

Fire away!

Historical note:

Back in Victorian times, Butler sinks might also have been known as London sinks due to the locality in which they were commonly found. The main reason they differentiated from Belfast sinks however, was that they did not come fitted with a Weir overflow. The apparent reason for this was that London did not have an abundant supply of water available and Belfast had. This was because London was further inland along the Thames and therefore had higher costs in obtaining fresh water for its large population than Belfast. It was considered your average Belfast household user, was more likely to let their kitchen taps run and drain large quantities of water. London did not have such an abundant supply of water and even went as far as to banning sinks with a weir overflow design and establishing an inspector to ensure that households adhered to plumbing regulations! To allow for the same provision of water in a bowl, a wider design developed which in reality, had some more practical uses such as a filthy Labrador in need of a wash. Hence the Butler sink was born.

As the years have gone on, Butler sinks have increased in size as water supply has become less of an issue. However, the basic differences between the two sinks remain the same. Butler sinks were built slightly wider and shallower than Belfast models, to encourage the conservation of water while still fitting into large kitchen cabinets. Belfast sinks were usually deeper as limiting water used wasn’t necessary.

Nancy wrote:I bet the amps in Heaven go to 12

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Re: Calling gardeners and the imaginative: Uses of a Belfast sink..?

Postby Minnie the Minx » 08 Sep 2019, 16:29

You could turn it into a bird feeder if you don’t want to grow anything or put water in it.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

C
Robust

Postby C » 08 Sep 2019, 17:51

Minnie the Minx wrote:You could turn it into a bird feeder if you don’t want to grow anything or put water in it.

Good ideas. Thanks

I was against the water feature idea but having looked on YouTube earlier there are a couple of good ideas. As for water for the birds - we have a small pond that does the job.

Regarding a bird feeder - we already have three hanging ones and Mrs C keep complaining about how much a month we spend on birds' nuts!

it wouldn't go down to well :D

Nancy wrote:I bet the amps in Heaven go to 12

Powehi

Postby Powehi » 08 Sep 2019, 19:17

Why not sell it to Skope so he could use it to play at "pulling the BCB plug" every time he felt a tantrum coming on

Flower

Postby Flower » 09 Sep 2019, 00:13

Plant flowers that feed birds!

https://www.thespruce.com/seed-bearing- ... rds-386405

I have a pollinator garden and also plant flowers that feed birds. It will save a bit of money on seeds and feed the birds and bugs.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.