Climate Change. Real or hoax?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks

Do you believe the Al Gore climate change narrative?

No
9%
Somewhat
No votes
Entirely
91%

Total votes: 23

Sneelock

You may be an undigested bit of beef, a blot of mustard, a crumb of cheese, a fragment of underdone potato.

Postby Sneelock » 29 Aug 2019, 06:28

I don’t believe in Jimbo.
I just believe in me — Yoko & Me etc...
can you prove it didn't happen?

northernsky

Re: Climate Change. Real or hoax?

Postby northernsky » 29 Aug 2019, 07:48

Jimbo wrote: we are a small part of the problem compared to other natural and astrological happenings.

Maybe you mean "astronomical" happenings. But I can't be sure :?

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 29 Aug 2019, 07:55

northernsky wrote:
Jimbo wrote: we are a small part of the problem compared to other natural and astrological happenings.

:lol: Yes. Thanks.
Cold War Number One: 70 years of daily national stupidity. Cold War Number Two: Still in its youth, but just as stupid. - William Blum

Powehi

Postby Powehi » 29 Aug 2019, 09:28

northernsky wrote:

I bet he didn't see that coming...

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 29 Aug 2019, 10:45

Wait for it..,
Last edited by Sneelock on 29 Aug 2019, 12:47, edited 1 time in total.

Sneelock

It’s a good thing it’s just a Hoax!

Postby Sneelock » 29 Aug 2019, 10:47

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 29 Aug 2019, 15:15

Jimbo wrote:
Should we stop dumping plastic into the oceans and stop all the other clearly fucked up shit we do to dirty the air, land and water. Of course.

end of story.

Yes Jimbo anything can happen - meteor, mega tsunami, sunspots, mega earthquake other things out of our control. However, the things you mentioned above are something we can work on and people are. However, that is just one issue there are plenty more. If you don't believe the earth is warming you are delusional. There are already several island nations that have moved or are relocating to higher ground (yes I know the argument that it might be for other reasons like the land is sinking because of bad design but I don't buy it). Seasons have also changed and its affected numerous bird and other animal populations- the amount of species dying off is alarming. Does the earth warming mean we are screwed that is the debate. Maybe the earth will self correct or maybe it just means different parts of the world will now grow crops and other places will become deserts. Maybe sunspots will save us? Heck maybe we need a great mass wipe out of millions of people to save the planet (sometimes I feel this is the deniers idea). Who knows? But I'm sorry from what we see it makes sense to work on alternatives now and spend a little more today to save in the future. Are there companies out there to make a profit of Climate change? Yes but that doesn't mean most of them are for doing good not bad. I'm glad to see people working on solutions and new ideas - green building are wonderful had a meeting in one yesterday.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 29 Aug 2019, 16:27

Jimbo wrote:Look, alls I know is I go outside and it doesn't look like we're on the eve of destruction weather-wise. The media and some scientists have been crying wolf about climate change since before the '50s. Should I believe them now? It's a beautiful day! .

Are you expecting some giant flashing neon WARNING sign from God ? A vision of the four riders of the Apocalypse ? What is it you expect to see exactly ? CO2 is a colorless gas.

Yes, you should believe them now, because although scientists have been warning us for years we haven't done anything about it!

Six String

Postby Six String » 29 Aug 2019, 16:28

The earth will reset and will survive of course. The question is whether the humans will be part of the equation. The earth will get along just fine without us just as it did before we arrived.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 29 Aug 2019, 18:13

^This.

It's not a matter of "Save the World." It's more a question of what kind of world we're leaving for future generations, and just how many future generations there might be.
Jimbo wrote:My point is to save the world from WWIII.

Jimbo wrote:Trump is right. The collusion conspiracy theory has been debunked and you seem to refuse to look at the evidence.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017 2018 2019?

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 30 Aug 2019, 04:18

Hightea wrote:
(yes I know the argument that it might be for other reasons like the land is sinking because of bad design but I don't buy it).

Just happened upon this fun fact.

Indonesia To Erect New Capital City In Borneo As Jakarta Sinks Into Java Sea

Already among the world's most overpopulated urban regions (over 10 million in the city limits with an estimated 30 million people in the greater metropolitan area), it's long been known as among the fastest-sinking cities on Earth — given scientists recently estimated that at the current rate 95% of North Jakarta will be underwater by 2050, displacing nearly 2 million people, as the city sinks into a bog.
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-08- ... s-java-sea

Jakarta, the fastest-sinking city in the world
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44636934
Cold War Number One: 70 years of daily national stupidity. Cold War Number Two: Still in its youth, but just as stupid. - William Blum

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 30 Aug 2019, 10:13

...Jakarta?

No, she went on British Airways...
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 30 Aug 2019, 13:15

The Great Barrier Reef - another victim of the "hoax"

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/great-barrier-reef-coral-climate-change-crisis-australia-unesco-a9084911.html

Immediate national and international action is required to improve the reef’s prospects, with the global climate crisis representing the greatest long-term threat to the natural wonder, according to the five-year Great Barrier Reef Outlook Report 2019.
The degradation of the world’s largest living structure has resulted in significant habitat loss for turtles, fish and sea birds. Back-to-back major coral bleaching events in 2016 and 2017 resulted in the death of around half of the entire 133,360sq mile structure due to marine heatwaves exacerbated by rising global temperatures.
“The current rate of global warming will not allow the maintenance of a healthy reef for future generations,” the report said, stating “the window of opportunity to improve the reef’s long-term future is now”.
“Significant global action to address climate change is critical to slowing the deterioration of the reef’s ecosystem and heritage values and supporting recovery,” the authors said.

Meanwhile President Trump rolls back emissions restrictions on methane gas, a major contributor to Global warming

Hepcat

Postby Hepcat » 30 Aug 2019, 18:58

Robert wrote:
Sneelock wrote:Holy CRAP, what YEAR is this?

Same year as the other day Sneelock, just a parallel universe. It's just that simple.

Cool! Were you one of the few lucky enough to score this issue of the spinner rack in 1961?

Or are you just another latter day dilettante?

:?:

"That government governs best that governs least."

Hepcat

Postby Hepcat » 30 Aug 2019, 19:25

Sneelock wrote: little did I believe in my wildest dreams (HOCK A LOOGER) that this mendacious rhetorical tactic would become so goddam common place all these years later.

My word! You mean I'm not the first to advance that proposition? And here I thought I was being completely original when pecking out that scribe. Oh well. What do you expect for free? If you want originality, I suppose you'll have to ante up a subscription fee to something or other and then hope for the best.

Sneelock wrote:All I mean is it doesn’t matter WHAT somebody’s Motivation is. You either see a problem that needs to be addressed or you don’t. Frankly, i’m Stunned at this stage of the game to hear this “people who fly on airplanes can’t possibly care about the climate” Horse shit. You can bet your ass if they took a trans continental canoe that their perceived hypocrisy would be attributed to something else.

A mendacious rhetorical tactic if I've ever encountered one. Just because the people who point out this hypocrisy might have an agenda of their own doesn't mean the hypocrisy doesn't exist exactly like Popeye's hole in the boat. And it is indeed hypocritical for those who link climate change to mankind's usage of fossil fuels to fly around in jet planes (particularly when they're seeking to escape the cold for a week or two in the sun).

If those who insist that mankind is aggravating climate change by burning fossil fuels aren't willing to make lifestyle changes of their own (by eschewing air travel for example), why should they be given any credibility when they insist I should give up street racing?

Oh, and incidentally, when was the last time you travelled by Amtrak?

Last edited by Hepcat on 30 Aug 2019, 20:37, edited 3 times in total.

Hepcat

Postby Hepcat » 30 Aug 2019, 19:31

Mike Boom wrote:The Great Barrier Reef - another victim of the "hoax"

So who the bloody hell is denying that the climate has and will change? It's been happening for billions of years.

The fundamental dishonesty is automatically conflating changes in climate with mankind's (particularly the American breed of mankind) culpability in these changes. And this is what you're always slyly trying to do.

:x

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 30 Aug 2019, 19:59

Hepcat wrote:So who the bloody hell is denying that the climate has and will change? It's been happening for billions of years.

The fundamental dishonesty is automatically conflating changes in climate with mankind's (particularly the American breed of mankind) culpability in these changes. And this is what you're always slyly trying to do.

Not slyly trying to do anything, its humans that are pumping the CO2 and other Greenhouse gases into the atmosphere.

Hepcat

Postby Hepcat » 30 Aug 2019, 20:23

Hightea wrote:Climate change is real. It really doesn't matter how it happened(man made or not) although IMHO man has made it a lot worse. The truth is the earth is changing because of it. Natural disasters and weather events continue to get worse....

Weather events keep getting worse? You might try asking the last Cro-Magnon fellow who found himself standing in the path of a glacier.

My problem is with the underlying thesis, even with the mild form you've expressed above that being "Mankind's activities are exacerbating climate change, global warming to be precise". (The more extreme form of the thesis would be that mankind is responsible for global warming.) Consider:

The scientific method involves forming a hypothesis, and then testing it to see if there's any statistical validity underlying this hypothesis. The thesis of those who argue for mankind's culpability is that we've caused or at least acted to exaggerate climate change in the last 150 years or so by burning fossil fuels. The Earth though is 4.5 billion years old anyway. The climate has continually changed throughout the Earth's existence. Therefore we have 30 million 150 year data points. In only the last might there be some correlation between mankind's activities and the changes in climate. There's no such correlation in the 29,999,999 data points before the last one, yet the climate did indeed change! Now that's powerful statistical evidence to conclude that mankind is not the main cause of climate change.

Moreover, there's the logical principle known as Occam's Razor, i.e. "The simplest explanation for an event is the best one barring compelling evidence that such is not the case." Well between about 1300 and 1870 the Earth experienced what's now called the Little Ice Age. It's perhaps why the Vikings abandoned Greenland around the year 1400 although this theory has now been questioned. It is though why we read about Dutchmen skating on canals back a couple hundred years ago. (That trick doesn't work very well these days even in late January.) And it's why Napoleon's army froze its ass off retreating from Russia in the early nineteenth century. So the simplest explanation for any global warming these days is that the Earth is still recovering from the Little Ice Age and reverting to the climate of the Medieval Warm Period.

Other than sunspot activity, why these changes in the Earth's climate over time? Well for one thing the Earth's orbit isn't entirely stable. It's more elliptical some years/decades/centuries than others. Worse yet it goes and wobbles a bit around its axis. Very inconvenient. Then there's the phenomenon called geomagnetic reversal when the earth's poles switch around (perhaps due to the sloshing around of Earth's core but who the hell knows). There have been 183 such reversals over the last 83 million years or so I've heard. Nasty those. The last one resulted in most of the Arabian peninsula becoming a desert.
Last edited by Hepcat on 30 Aug 2019, 20:31, edited 3 times in total.

Hepcat

Postby Hepcat » 30 Aug 2019, 20:25

Mike Boom wrote:
Hepcat wrote:So who the bloody hell is denying that the climate has and will change? It's been happening for billions of years.

Not slyly trying to do anything, its humans that are pumping the CO2 and other Greenhouse gases into the atmosphere.

You are too! You're slyly insinuating that these greenhouse gases are the underlying cause of these climate changes. Do you deny this?

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 30 Aug 2019, 20:38

Hepcat wrote:You are too! You're slyly insinuating that these greenhouse gases are the underlying cause of these climate changes. Do you deny this?

Im not slyly insinuating it, Im saying it as plainly as I can - as are 98% of the scientific community. The global warming we have been experiencing for the last 200 or so years is due to mans burning of fossil fuels and pumping CO2 and other greenhouse gases into the air.