Caroline, No

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Samoan

Caroline, No

Postby Samoan » 12 Aug 2019, 20:31

You didn't fully think this through although I feel your intentions were well meant.

Caroline Lucas apologises for omitting BAME women from proposal.
Green MP had suggested all-female cabinet of national unity to block no-deal Brexit.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/12/caroline-lucas-apologises-for-omitting-bame-women-from-proposal
“I haven’t a clue what you’re talking about – and I’m not sure you do either."

Positive Passion

Re: Caroline, No

Postby Positive Passion » 12 Aug 2019, 21:14

Samoan wrote:You didn't fully think this through although I feel your intentions were well meant.

Caroline Lucas apologises for omitting BAME women from proposal.
Green MP had suggested all-female cabinet of national unity to block no-deal Brexit.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/12/caroline-lucas-apologises-for-omitting-bame-women-from-proposal

The UK population is 87% white, 13% eveything else. On that proportion, in a list of ten names such as that propsed by Caroline Lucas, only one would be non-white (merit aside). Of that non-white 13%, the largest "ethnic group"- on quite broad terms, would be "Asians" - essentially India/Pakistan/Bangladesh - at around 8% of the total UK population. Given that, who would one pick to be the one non-white person in her cabinet? The article refers to Diane Abbot - would she really be appropriate (again, merit aside) on those statistics?

I reckon this element of the story is merely a smokescreen to distract from her main point, which is that any group made up only of women would do a better job than than the current male-dominated bunch of craven self-interesteds.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Re: Caroline, No

Postby The Prof » 13 Aug 2019, 14:41

I wouldn't mind her proposal in principal to stop Johnson and his cronies but I think every criticism I've heard is entirely valid.