Gosh, you sure are pretty.

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 16280
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Gosh, you sure are pretty.

Postby Jimbo » 28 Jul 2019, 22:35

Is it okay to say that to an actual pretty woman?

We all see striking looking women or men everyday and mentally we go wow! But if, say, I sat next to a pretty woman or man on a bus, would it be all right, complimentary even, to say something. I kind of know it would be rude to call someone ugly if they were ugly but if they were and I was in a conversational position to say something like, "You'd be lucky to get a dog to like you," I might check myself, however true. But a beautiful woman or handsome man, I'd like to say how I feel about how excited their appearance makes me feel. And If I weren't married, or could get away somehow with adultery, I'd hope my words would lead to something. But at the least, could I - without the PC squad on my tail - say, "Excuse me, but you are the prettiest woman I've seen all day." ?
Last edited by Jimbo on 28 Jul 2019, 22:57, edited 1 time in total.
Cold War Number One: 70 years of daily national stupidity. Cold War Number Two: Still in its youth, but just as stupid. - William Blum

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 16280
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: Gosh, you sure are pretty.

Postby Jimbo » 28 Jul 2019, 22:44

And fat people know they're fat. They're probably mentally obsessing about it 24/7. How come it wouldn't be right to outright talk about their weight, get the subject done with and then and talk about sports or conspiracies. "Must be hard for someone like you to find a good pair of jeans." "Building Seven. Believe that shit?"
Cold War Number One: 70 years of daily national stupidity. Cold War Number Two: Still in its youth, but just as stupid. - William Blum

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 16280
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: Gosh, you sure are pretty.

Postby Jimbo » 28 Jul 2019, 23:01

Do you ever pay compliments to strangers?
Cold War Number One: 70 years of daily national stupidity. Cold War Number Two: Still in its youth, but just as stupid. - William Blum

User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 25658
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Re: Gosh, you sure are pretty.

Postby GoogaMooga » 28 Jul 2019, 23:07

I've said it to women a few times, and they always took it well. Thanked me, felt genuinely flattered. One young lady gave me a big smile and said, "You are so sweet!" But it never led to anything and I never expected it would.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 30446
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: Gosh, you sure are pretty.

Postby Minnie the Minx » 29 Jul 2019, 00:19

:lol: :lol: :lol:
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 16280
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: Gosh, you sure are pretty.

Postby Jimbo » 29 Jul 2019, 00:40

GoogaMooga wrote: But it never led to anything and I never expected it would.


You're a virgin, aren't you? No shame in that. All those comic books and quirky albums. Not saying a good lay will answer all your problems but it'd be something to finally take off your bucket list.
Cold War Number One: 70 years of daily national stupidity. Cold War Number Two: Still in its youth, but just as stupid. - William Blum

User avatar
Charlie O.
Posts: 40264
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:53
Location: In-A-Badda-La-Wadda, bay-beh

Re: Gosh, you sure are pretty.

Postby Charlie O. » 29 Jul 2019, 02:26

Jimbo wrote:You're a virgin, aren't you? No shame in that. All those comic books and quirky albums. Not saying a good lay will answer all your problems but it'd be something to finally take off your bucket list.

That's what your mom said.
Image

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 7022
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: Gosh, you sure are pretty.

Postby Darkness_Fish » 29 Jul 2019, 09:19

I guess it depends on the time and place. If you're in a 1950s U.S. sitcom, "gosh, you sure are pretty" may well be appropriate.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 16280
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: Gosh, you sure are pretty.

Postby Jimbo » 29 Jul 2019, 09:47

Darkness_Fish wrote:I guess it depends on the time and place. If you're in a 1950s U.S. sitcom, "gosh, you sure are pretty" may well be appropriate.


I see your point. Maybe "Grrrrrrr," would be more appropriate.
Cold War Number One: 70 years of daily national stupidity. Cold War Number Two: Still in its youth, but just as stupid. - William Blum

User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 25658
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Re: Gosh, you sure are pretty.

Postby GoogaMooga » 29 Jul 2019, 15:11

Jimbo wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote: But it never led to anything and I never expected it would.


You're a virgin, aren't you? No shame in that. All those comic books and quirky albums. Not saying a good lay will answer all your problems but it'd be something to finally take off your bucket list.


Ha ha, fuck off, Jimbo. Even geeks get laid, you know.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 25658
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Re: Gosh, you sure are pretty.

Postby GoogaMooga » 29 Jul 2019, 15:14

For the record, I've had two girlfriends. Not bad for a comic collecting Asperger.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

User avatar
The Great Defecator
Posts: 14
Joined: 31 Aug 2017, 19:57

Re: Gosh, you sure are pretty.

Postby The Great Defecator » 29 Jul 2019, 23:15

I tell em and tehn i bought them a pint. worksevery time.
The Great Defector wrote:"'Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"Oskar whilde.

User avatar
Sneelock
Posts: 13093
Joined: 19 Nov 2011, 23:56
Location: Lincoln Head City

Re: Gosh, you sure are pretty.

Postby Sneelock » 29 Jul 2019, 23:27

Jimbo wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:I guess it depends on the time and place. If you're in a 1950s U.S. sitcom, "gosh, you sure are pretty" may well be appropriate.


I see your point. Maybe "Grrrrrrr," would be more appropriate.


Gosh, Jimbo, you sure Grrrrr pretty.
Björk says we all need to get off Facebook and go for a walk.
https://i-d.vice.com/en_us/article/mbva ... q097SIBlf4

User avatar
Charlie O.
Posts: 40264
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:53
Location: In-A-Badda-La-Wadda, bay-beh

Re: Gosh, you sure are pretty.

Postby Charlie O. » 30 Jul 2019, 00:02

Jimbo wrote:And fat people know they're fat. They're probably mentally obsessing about it 24/7. How come it wouldn't be right to outright talk about their weight, get the subject done with and then and talk about sports or conspiracies. "Must be hard for someone like you to find a good pair of jeans." "Building Seven. Believe that shit?"

Meant to respond to this before. Speaking as a fat person: I know I'm fat, and I'm not particularly sensitive about that fact. But when I meet a stranger who just assumes that it's okay to "go there" - or for that matter assumes that this is something worth bringing up in a first conversation - I invariably assume that I'm dealing with an insensitive, insensible clod who probably isn't worth getting to know better.
Image

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 16280
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: Gosh, you sure are pretty.

Postby Jimbo » 30 Jul 2019, 00:35

Charlie O. wrote:
Jimbo wrote:And fat people know they're fat. They're probably mentally obsessing about it 24/7. How come it wouldn't be right to outright talk about their weight, get the subject done with and then and talk about sports or conspiracies. "Must be hard for someone like you to find a good pair of jeans." "Building Seven. Believe that shit?"

Meant to respond to this before. Speaking as a fat person: I know I'm fat, and I'm not particularly sensitive about that fact. But when I meet a stranger who just assumes that it's okay to "go there" - or for that matter assumes that this is something worth bringing up in a first conversation - I invariably assume that I'm dealing with an insensitive, insensible clod who probably isn't worth getting to know better.


Ever get greeted with, "Hey big guy!"

I'm fat too. Well, actually, I'm just right now getting out of two and a half months at a rehab hospital - waiting for my wife to pick me up - where due to enforced small meals and proscribed eating times I have managed to lose 10 K. I'd like to keep it off but my apartment is not staffed with hard-assed nurses and a locked kitchen. Though I still walk like Chester I do like the way I look when not galloomping about. Sorry if I hurt your feelings Charlie.
Cold War Number One: 70 years of daily national stupidity. Cold War Number Two: Still in its youth, but just as stupid. - William Blum

User avatar
Charlie O.
Posts: 40264
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:53
Location: In-A-Badda-La-Wadda, bay-beh

Re: Gosh, you sure are pretty.

Postby Charlie O. » 30 Jul 2019, 03:39

Jimbo wrote:Ever get greeted with, "Hey big guy!"

Yes. :x

Jimbo wrote:Sorry if I hurt your feelings Charlie.

Thanks - you didn't at all. BUT: a) I know you (sorta), and b) you weren't directing the post at me anyway.
Image

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 16280
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: Gosh, you sure are pretty.

Postby Jimbo » 30 Jul 2019, 06:54

Charlie O. wrote:
Jimbo wrote:Sorry if I hurt your feelings Charlie.

Thanks - you didn't at all. BUT: a) I know you (sorta), and b) you weren't directing the post at me anyway.


No problem big guy. ;)
Cold War Number One: 70 years of daily national stupidity. Cold War Number Two: Still in its youth, but just as stupid. - William Blum