John Cleese opines.

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Samoan

John Cleese opines.

Postby Samoan » 29 May 2019, 19:46

He disappoints me.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2019/may/29/john-cleese-criticised-for-saying-london-is-no-longer-an-english-city

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48451384

The British comedian Dom Joly, 51, also criticised Cleese’s tweet. He said: “John Cleese is one of my comedy heroes … Suddenly this thing came out of nowhere and it’s so depressing on so many levels.

“He’s clearly a really smart, funny man, but it is basically a very racist tweet. Secondly, it’s a racist tweet by a man who lives on a Caribbean island – the irony of that is insane.
Even the language is insane. Who uses the word ‘opine’?

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Re: John Cleese opines.

Postby Lord Rother » 29 May 2019, 22:48

This is so shit.

Unless I’ve missed something he hasn’t said anything remotely offensive or racist. He has expressed an opinion that some people disagree with.

Twitter Twats.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 29 May 2019, 22:56

Maybe I'm giving him too much benefit of doubt, but I'm not convinced that what he said was racist.

“I suspect I should apologise for my affection for the Englishness of my upbringing, but in some ways I found it calmer, more polite, more humorous, less tabloid, and less money-oriented than the one that is replacing it.” I know plenty of non-racist Americans in his age bracket who would say more or less the same thing about this country.

And if he's sufficiently disappointed/disillusioned by his country of birth to go live in the Caribbean (or wherever), why shouldn't he be allowed to say so?

I don't really get what he's saying about the Brexit vote, so I won't comment on that.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 31 May 2019, 10:20

London could declare independence from the rest of the UK and join the EU. Though it could not be a "no-deal" Lexit.