Zoomboogity

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Re: Zoomboogity

Postby Still Baron » 21 May 2019, 22:47

I suspect this Wikipedia entry is as thorough a bio as we’ll get, so I’ve quoted it in its entirety to better give Zoom his due:

Wikipedia wrote:Richard Derrick was born in Torrance, California in 1961, and is a lifelong resident of nearby San Pedro. He began playing music at an early age, starting with piano at age four, guitar at age ten, then learning both drums and bass guitar at 15. Attempts to find like-minded musicians in and around San Pedro became frustrating, and by 1982 Derrick began spending more time in Los Angeles, performing in various musical settings.

In 1984 Derrick became roommates with Minutemen singer/guitarist D. Boon, and they began playing together informally with Crane, who played trumpet and sang on a few Minutemen records. The trio called themselves Cosmic Joke, but public performance was limited to two private parties.

Derrick and Crane continued performing together, and in 1987, after several attempts with different musicians, they began working as a duo under the name Another Umbrella, which utilized extended delay guitar loops, pre-recorded instruments, slide shows, and a strong emphasis on improvisation. This went against the grain of what was popular in Los Angeles clubs at the time, but they did perform regularly around town and on radio, most notably at The Museum Of Contemporary Art in downtown Los Angeles. Other musicians who performed with Another Umbrella include keyboardist Paul Roessler and flutist/vocalist Emily Hay.

In 1997, two weeks after the final Another Umbrella show, Derrick began performing with drummer Bob Lee and a core of revolving musicians (including Nels Cline and Joe Baiza) under the name Solo Career, a side-project which lasted until 2002, performing whenever the musicians' schedules allowed.

Between 1992 and 1994 Derrick produced concerts in Los Angeles for Canterbury Scene musicians Kevin Ayers, Richard Sinclair, Gilli Smyth and Tim Blake. In 1998 and 2000 Derrick organized and financed two California mini-tours with Ayers, eventually releasing the best of this material on the Alive In California CD through his own Box-O-Plenty Records.

Derrick has also released the best of the home recordings with Boon as D. Boon and Friends,[1] as well as the sole album by Solo Career, Season Finale, which features artwork by British artist Paul Whitehead (best known for his art on the Genesis albums Foxtrot, Trespass and Nursery Cryme).

In 2005 Derrick began to experience symptoms of what was eventually diagnosed as Parkinson's disease, most likely as the result of head injuries sustained during an assault at a San Pedro record store in 1990. With most of the flexibility in his left-hand fingers now gone, he is unable to play guitar, bass or drums at his former level. As he was still able to play basic guitar chords, he joined several friends from the Los Angeles music scene to perform a tribute to Pink Floyd founder Syd Barrett, which they called A Room Of Musical Tunes. A one-off performance in September 2006 was eventually followed by two performances in May 2007 and January 2009.

In the summer of 2007, Derrick went through his entire recording archive and edited the highlights for posterity, ending up with 70 hours of music. The first of these recordings to be publicly available are seven hours of music (spread out over eleven albums) by Another Umbrella, released exclusively on digital downloads with no discs being pressed, in March 2008.

Derrick remains active on the Los Angeles music scene, although on more of a behind-the-scenes level. Derrick closed down Box-O-Plenty Records in June 2011.

References
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 21 May 2019, 23:03

I saw him two months ago and he explained about the checking out early thing with a hospice nurse that Dave alluded to earlier. I was somewhat shocked but certainly understood his desire to do so. By the end he was only able to keep from shaking and speaking coherently for a few hours a day and when he explained that dementia is the usual end stage of Parkinsons I realized he didn't have much of a choice.

I would see him a couple times a year and we'd usually eat at some place of his choice, catch up with each other, and discuss music of course. He was the biggest Moby Grape fan I've ever met, and I was happy to have turned him on to the Springfield, Byrds and Gene Clark in the last ten years or so. Since last year when driving became difficult, I'd go down to his place in Pedro to see him. All of his CDs were on the floor in his bedroom and his computer was on the desk. He'd open up the window and blast music and we'd go outside and smoke a bowl or two before inevitably going out to another place for lunch.

I'd been thinking of him recently and when he didn't answer the email I sent I figured it would be something like this. :cry:

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 22 May 2019, 00:32

Fuck

RIP
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 22 May 2019, 01:01

RIP, zoom. :cry:
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 22 May 2019, 01:03

Much respect to Zoomboogity. Something like MS or Parkinson’s is such a cruel, unfair fate for musicians, in particular. In retrospect, and in light of of the writing here and on FB, I think he was one of the few guys here I never really understood, despite doing this thing for well over a decade and hanging out a time or three. He was unfailingly generous, always pushing things on me that I wasn’t really ready for. :lol:

Velvis posted a biblical joke on FB the other day and it actually sent me back to the New Testament for a bit of Matthew. And now that I think about it, I’ll remember Zoom as a figure a little like one of Jesus’s disciples ... an evangelist. Making connections, trying to open people’s ears. I regret I didn’t have the ears to hear when he was preaching, in his way. Whether it was bending your ear in person, mailing unsolicited CDs, sending random inquiring pms, or fighting against his physical limitations to painstakingly type out lengthy posts, getting out what he had to say.

Don’t know about you, but I’m gonna play some Moby Grape records I’ve never really listened to.

Rest easy, Z.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 22 May 2019, 01:12

Jeemo wrote:He sent me three cds of Zappa instrumentals which became my entry point.

Ha, he sent me that, too.

Another time he was organizing some shows for some Hatfield and the North kind of spin-off (or something like that) and, noting they were short a bass player, blithely suggested that I take the role myself. AS IF I could keep up with players like that. :lol:
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 22 May 2019, 07:16

Ah fuck...

Just fuck.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 22 May 2019, 07:55

He made me so many CDs! All with this perfect symmetrical typed or immaculately handwriiten details including minutes and seconds of each track.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 22 May 2019, 08:05

I’m really sad to read about this. I don’t think I ever had any off-board contact with Richard over the years but I always enjoyed reading his posts; particularly those about Kevin Ayers and, of course, the Triple Echo booklet project which was just wonderful.

I don’t think I ever shared with him my own Triple Echo story. I was was just in my early teens when the Triple Echo set was released. I used to go into the tiny Virgin Records shop in Wdinburgh and rifle through the record racks looking for interesting album covers. It was kind of how I put together my own musical knowledge at the time. When I saw something that interested me I’d Ask the guy behind the counter to stick it on the headphones for me to listen to. So, when Triple Echo was released I asked him to play side one for me. The next day I asked for side 2. On day three, he had side theee already lined up for me when I arrived and so it continued until I’d worked my way through the set, devoting the text in the booklet and learning about another piece of the jigsaw. Having all those signatures on that booklet is absolutely something that I would have wanted myself but it never would have occurred to me to try and make it happen.

RIP Richard, I hope you have peace. You will be missed here.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 22 May 2019, 08:49

As a relative newcomer to BCB, I didn't really have any idea of the guy at all, and certainly didn't know him as well as some here. But I liked his posts, he had a very open attitude to music, and was obviously a pretty talented person to boot. Far too young, and I offer my condolences to all who knew him well.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 22 May 2019, 09:08

Can someone who has the ability to do so please put the Triple Echo project thread into Classic Threads or In Memorium or somewhere where it won’t disappear?

Powehi

Postby Powehi » 22 May 2019, 09:29

Hugh wrote:Can someone who has the ability to do so please put the Triple Echo project thread into Classic Threads or In Memorium or somewhere where it won’t disappear?

One of the best threads of recent years

Just bumped it back to the top of page 1 in YY

RIP, Mr Z.

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 22 May 2019, 10:36

Ah, what terrible news. RIP, Richard and sympathy to all your family and friends.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

Velvis
Mellowed down easy

Postby Velvis » 22 May 2019, 14:00

RIP
a gibbon running freely

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 23 May 2019, 03:17

Sad to hear this. Although I don't recall ever directly interacting with him, I enjoyed his posting. A major loss for this board.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 23 May 2019, 07:14

RIP, zoom. You will be missed. x

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 23 May 2019, 13:26

So very sad to hear this, his enthusiasm for all things Canterbury was infectious and I returned to a lot of things he championed. I never met him but enjoyed his postings and The triple echo booklet thread has been a delight to read. He sounds like a marvelous guy judging from the posts here.

RIP Zoom.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 23 May 2019, 17:19

Hugh wrote:Can someone who has the ability to do so please put the Triple Echo project thread into Classic Threads or In Memorium or somewhere where it won’t disappear?

I feel like that project is worthy of broader renown than BCB.

Not that I know what to do about it, but the narrative strikes me as worthy of being assembled and published somewhere. I suppose it wouldn't be of general, Sunday supplement-level interest, what with the Soft Machine and their ilk having a rather narrow appeal, but... it's such a cool story!

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 23 May 2019, 17:32

It was nice to read so many tales of things Richard did to be helpful - making people's visits easier, getting music to folk. I had no idea about that Soft Machine thread, which, having no interest in Soft Machine, I never would have opened. His giddy enthusiasm is evident in that thread, and is genuinely infectious.

I spent time with Richard in San Francisco and would echo what others have said about him being slow to get to know (whatever that means) - his theories on things were sometimes florid and could be hard to listen to - but that was only one part of him. He was unfailingly generous with his time, words and suggestions and I have many PMs from him which I know were probably hard for him to even write, just written as a response to something I would post. Where to go, what to see, who to contact to make my next California trip easier/more fun.

I've been thinking a lot about the increased urgency and emphasis that people with life shortening illnesses sometimes have for connecting, and sharing what they love with people who have similar passions. If you've spent your life entrenched in the creation and love of music, do you milk it all so much quicker? Would you want to spend your time doing as much of that as possible, reaching out? I didn't know Richard before his illness, so he may always have been a "doer" and a connector. From the contributions on this thread, you can see he was always reaching out a hand.

He once sent me a cheque for some of my artwork he used on a project. It was when I was still living in the UK, and it would have cost more to cash it as it was a US cheque so I just held on to it. I still have it and am now sorely tempted to cash it and buy a Soft Machine CD.

Rest easy Richard. You truly deserve some peace.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 23 May 2019, 17:36

Snarfyguy wrote:

I feel like that project is worthy of broader renown than BCB.

Not that I know what to do about it, but the narrative strikes me as worthy of being assembled and published somewhere. I suppose it wouldn't be of general, Sunday supplement-level interest, what with the Soft Machine and their ilk having a rather narrow appeal, but... it's such a cool story!

It is absolutely worth a newspaper or magazine article.