Zoomboogity

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Re: Zoomboogity

Postby Minnie the Minx » 23 May 2019, 17:38

I agree!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

C
Robust

Postby C » 23 May 2019, 20:17

Hugh wrote:Can someone who has the ability to do so please put the Triple Echo project thread into Classic Threads or In Memorium or somewhere where it won’t disappear?

I have already asked the admins Hugh

Nancy wrote:I bet the amps in Heaven go to 12

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 23 May 2019, 22:25

There will be a memorial gig for Richard at Cafe Nela on Sunday July 28.

In honor of his habit of bringing spontaneous musical collaborators together, ten bands will be formed just for the occasion, each playing a 15 minute set. I'm organizing it. I don't know what I'm getting myself into, exactly, but it sounds more interesting than just picking some bands to play a set.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 23 May 2019, 22:43

Good luck with that! A wonderful tribute to him.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 23 May 2019, 22:51

bobzilla77 wrote:There will be a memorial gig for Richard at Cafe Nela on Sunday July 28.

In honor of his habit of bringing spontaneous musical collaborators together, ten bands will be formed just for the occasion, each playing a 15 minute set. I'm organizing it. I don't know what I'm getting myself into, exactly, but it sounds more interesting than just picking some bands to play a set.

Great!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 24 May 2019, 01:20

Hugh wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:
Hugh wrote:Can someone who has the ability to do so please put the Triple Echo project thread into Classic Threads or In Memorium or somewhere where it won’t disappear?

I feel like that project is worthy of broader renown than BCB.

Not that I know what to do about it, but the narrative strikes me as worthy of being assembled and published somewhere. I suppose it wouldn't be of general, Sunday supplement-level interest, what with the Soft Machine and their ilk having a rather narrow appeal, but... it's such a cool story!

It is absolutely worth a newspaper or magazine article.

It would make a great article in Prog Rock magazine

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 24 May 2019, 12:57

I'll never forget meeting him for the first time (it was in LA and Slider was visiting for his 40th - all of this seems like a million years ago on so many levels). He showed up at the place John was staying (friend's house) and...we're both meeting him for the first time...bequeaths us both with an abundance of lovingly chosen, rendered, annotated CDRs in jewel cases (and these are recordings that have mostly become personal "canon" in the intervening years). He was not always gentle in his approach, which - if you weren't up for it, you know...but that very specific brand of hyper-enthusiasm is now inevitably the thing I remember most warmly about him. There's a lot to be said for being PRESENT, and...was he ever. He and I had attempted to collaborate on getting Kevin Ayers to perform in Chicago (rather late in Ayers' life, we now know), and there were just far too many moving parts for either of us to really navigate (a financial in-feasibility, for one thing), and the tour ultimately never happened (I've never forgotten his understated cautions about Kevin's alcoholism - basically something incredibly Zen about "If you manage to catch Kevin before about 4pm, he's generally at his best."). I think we'd all like to be accepted by our people in the spirit of that remark, and...again, it's a nice aspect of Richard that has and will always remain with me.

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 24 May 2019, 14:58

Bent Fabric wrote: Slider was visiting for his 40th - all of this seems like a million years ago

16 years ago, then.
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

billy
A pound

Postby billy » 24 May 2019, 20:15

I have just seen this and would love to just pay my respects to Richard. I always found him to be a wonderful font of knowledge and had many a DM conversation with him regarding the finer points of Moby Grape who I am sure he knew more about than the universe itself might. And I agree that his Triple Echo Project needs greater exposure (Andrew Male at Mojo?)

May he rest in peace until the next time round the cycle x
mantochanga wrote:Dave Bartram from Showaddywaddy - on telly every week, but most people didn't even know his name. No burdening us with his issues or personal life, just a straightforward entertainer. Navvy!

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 24 May 2019, 22:42

RIP. I always enjoyed his posts, and his avatar and signature were among my favorites. :(
Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.

Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

TG

Postby TG » 25 May 2019, 15:06

God, he could be difficult. Not in a boorish way, but in his zeal to get you on his side - Moby Grape LPs, Steely Dan outtakes, Canterbury ephemera - if he loved it he wanted you to love it, too. He was one of a kind, a true gentleman and will be missed.
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

echolalia

Postby echolalia » 28 May 2019, 15:40

I met Richard a couple of years ago. He took us to see Sunken City and then we got something to eat and chatted for a few hours. Due to a last-minute change of itinerary we'd arrived in San Pedro a few hours earlier than initially arranged and because his meds hadn’t taken effect yet his mobility was grievously compromised. Didn’t stop him talking though! It wasn’t until we were back at his mum’s house and saying our farewells and his meds began to work – a newly supple Richard – that I realized what a heroic effort he must have been making up to that point just to move.

RIP Richard. I’m glad I met you. Looks like you got to Sidcup first (that’s a private joke based on our shared love of The Caretaker).

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 28 May 2019, 23:31

trans-chigley express wrote:
Hugh wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:I feel like that project is worthy of broader renown than BCB.

Not that I know what to do about it, but the narrative strikes me as worthy of being assembled and published somewhere. I suppose it wouldn't be of general, Sunday supplement-level interest, what with the Soft Machine and their ilk having a rather narrow appeal, but... it's such a cool story!

It is absolutely worth a newspaper or magazine article.

It would make a great article in Prog Rock magazine

If any of you folks know someone who might be interested in writing it up, I can put you in touch with the person who has it now and helped Richard with the project.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 28 May 2019, 23:39

TG wrote:God, he could be difficult. Not in a boorish way, but in his zeal to get you on his side - Moby Grape LPs, Steely Dan outtakes, Canterbury ephemera - if he loved it he wanted you to love it, too. He was one of a kind, a true gentleman and will be missed.

I have occasionally felt pangs of guilt when something came up that he had loaned me or given me months earlier - "what did you think of that?!" I inevitably had not checked it out, and felt I was shirking my responsibility to culture or something. If he came over, I sometimes saw a stack of discs in his hand, that I knew he would want me to copy and I might have to defend myself for not wanting them. I had to stop letting him loan me stuff because I would inevitably misplace it and be unable to find it when he came over again months later.

But I did try, and enjoy, a lot of his suggestions. Sometimes you just had to say "Let's talk about something other than Moby Grape. I feel like I know a lot about that topic now."

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 29 May 2019, 01:25

That's interesting, he rarely lent me stuff - I was always giving him movies or CD-Rs. The last thing I gave him was the Neil Young Archives DVDs a few months ago. I guess I'll never know if he got around to watching/listening to them.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 30 May 2019, 00:04

get the OUIJA board!!
can you prove it didn't happen?

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 06 Jul 2019, 17:40

Six String

Postby Six String » 06 Jul 2019, 17:48

Cool!

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 09 Jul 2019, 15:19

I'll be there!

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 09 Jul 2019, 15:47

No Watt?
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...