Zoomboogity

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
bobzilla77

Zoomboogity

Postby bobzilla77 » 21 May 2019, 18:45

I am very sorry to bear the news that our friend Richard Derrick passed away early Monday morning at his home. He was attended by friends and family.

Richard was an enabler, somebody who could make musical events happen. A very talented player, he was seemed totally ego free, content to create a situation where people could converse, play off each other. He got some very high level people to be part of his thing.

And he was high level himself but didn't present himself that way. He was only interested in the thing, the sound, and was willing to do the work to make it happen. You could never meet a mover and shaker like that, who started his own record label, who had less interest in the business/ money aspect of music. At times that was frustrating for him ... I saved several boxes of the CD we made together from the landfill.... but he never lost sight of the reason he was doing it, which was to create joy and then share it.

I will miss him a great deal and I offer condolences to all of you who knew him.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

C
Robust

Re: Zoomboogity

Postby C » 21 May 2019, 18:50

This is very sad news.

He knew his stuff

I loved his Soft Machine Triple Echo booklet autograph project

Condolences to his family and friends

RIP Richard

Last edited by C on 21 May 2019, 18:53, edited 1 time in total.
Nancy wrote:I bet the amps in Heaven go to 12

soundchaser wrote:R.I.P. brother Reap. You can always sync listen from heaven. C has the contacts, I’m sure.

Six String

Postby Six String » 21 May 2019, 18:51

Oh no! Horrible news. I only got to hang out with him few times at Jolly Ups but always enjoyed his company. His love of music was always obvious. RIP Zoomy.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 21 May 2019, 19:03

What a shame. I always liked his posts.

RIP
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 21 May 2019, 19:16

Horrible news. I won't pretend that he couldn't be hard work wnen you first met him, but it didn't take much to realise that with all he had to endure - Not just the Patrkinson's but constant pain in his arm from nerve damage - he was a genuinely warm and giving person, an absolute sweetheart guy. It really wasn't that hard to cut him a small bit of slack and be repaid many times over.

I'll always remember the last time I was in L.A (a surprise visit to a BCB advertised meet up) two years ago, he read on BCB I was in town and made a point of ringing the hotel and arranging to meet me for lunch, and I realised the effort involved wasn't easy for him. He was at his best in that kind of environment one on one, removed from the anxiety of social interactions. That was time well pent and example of BCB at its best. I recall Richard, kmowing I was a fellow Dan fan quipping that we actually were "driving west on Sunset" at one point. I'll remember that day fondly, even more now, including how when he arrived at the hotel and we met up he stepped up and hugged me like a long lost friend.

One of the good guys. God bless you Richard.
We're way past rhubarb

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 21 May 2019, 19:20

I only met Richard a couple of times LA and he was unfailingly generous and pleasant on both occasions. And he knew his music too. As The Fish says above "One of the good guys".

RIP Richard.
From the heart – may it return to the heart!
We first make our habits, then our habits make us
You campaign in poetry. You govern in prose.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 21 May 2019, 19:33

RIP x
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 21 May 2019, 19:52

zoomboogity wrote:

That weekend I was in Houston and Baton Rouge, plane ticket bought months earlier. I'd tried to meet up with Yves (Walk In My Shadow) while he was in New Orleans, but we weren't able to make that happen either. That was almost ten years ago. Okay, there you go - next time someone asks for a suggestion: Canter's.

Yeah, I'm still sorry that didn't happen. It would've been a unique opportunity.

Some of you who were at the Austin JUotA may remember this.
After Austin we drove to New Orleans and afterwards had to be in Houston for our flight home.
We tried to meet up in Baton Rouge but our schedules made it so that we missed each other by two hours. Two bloody hours.
As you can see from his quote he remembered this ten years later.
So no, we never got the chance to meet, not even for a quick coffee.

R.I.P. my unmet BCB friend.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Neil Jung
Watcher Of The Skies

Postby Neil Jung » 21 May 2019, 19:58

That’s very sad news. Another one gone. I think he’d been around since the early days of Mojo4music.

RIP.
It was raining when we drove up the two-lane highway through the long tunnel of trees that led into the black district on the south end of St. Martinville.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 21 May 2019, 20:16

Neil Jung wrote:That’s very sad news. Another one gone. I think he’d been around since the early days of Mojo4music.

RIP.

That's right. He is directly responsible for getting me to join this group. I had to hear him describe your old threads over the phone.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 21 May 2019, 20:16

Another one who never got to meet him in person, but we had a lot of always-entertaining-and-interesting off-board conversations and I loved the guy. I knew he had a number of health issues, but this still hits hard.

Flower

Postby Flower » 21 May 2019, 20:26

I hate hearing this sad news.

He was always kind and fair ... came off as a lovely person.

R.I.P. Richard, you will be missed.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 21 May 2019, 20:48

Very sad to hear this. I'll play the Gene Clark Sings For You I found out about from his thread.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 21 May 2019, 21:02

Terrible news. I’ll miss his d/m’s. He seemed like a fine fellow.
when you're a Jet, you're a Jet all the way.

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 21 May 2019, 21:34

Ah, such a shame. Richard is at fault for immersing me in Frank Zappa. After saying that I had enjoyed Zappa plays Zappa although not liking Frank. He sent me three cds of Zappa instrumentals which became my entry point.

He also turned up and one of my brothers gigs and introduced himself to Tony as being responsible for my Zappa induction.

We had many a chat by PM, and I've just been reading through them.

He was a top guy, RIP Zoomy.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 21 May 2019, 21:36

That is really sad news.
I only spoke to him a few weeks ago about his autograph project. Can't believe he is gone now.

RIP Richard.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 21 May 2019, 22:12

Damn sad news and now I feel really guilty. Was invited by Zoomboogity to stop by his home when I was in LA two weeks ago but ended up not being able to make time to visit. He seemed like a wonderful guy and loved his stories and the whole track down of the Soft Machine Triple Echo booklet signatures. Patrkinson's is a nasty thing as I had a business partner die a few years ago who had it.

RIP Zoomboogity! you will be missed!

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 21 May 2019, 22:17

Lovely guy, wish I'd got an opportunity to meet him in person.

I'll miss his post his posts (and his avatar) :cry:

RIP Richard.
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 21 May 2019, 22:19

Damn sad news and now I feel really guilty. Was invited by Zoomboogity to stop by his home when I was in LA two weeks ago but ended up not being able to make time to visit. He seemed like a wonderful guy and loved his stories and the whole track down of the Soft Machine Triple Echo booklet signatures. Patrkinson's is a nasty thing as I had a business partner die a few years ago who had it.

RIP Zoomboogity! you will be missed!

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 21 May 2019, 22:36

I'm at a huge loss for what to say here. Can't say we were ever close friends, but considering I didn't know him very well or very long, he had a huge impact on my life. We first met - and first played together - at a BCB JU. Not long after that I was invited to participate in a tribute to Syd Barrett along with Quaco, Bobzilla, former BCBer Bixhenry, and my future wife (who I met there for the first time - so he's largely responsible for me meeting pillowz).

Then a few years later when he was putting on a few shows by Peter Lewis of Moby Grape as a birthday present to himself (and here seems a pertinent time to bring up that we were birthday buddies - he was born exactly one year before me), and the original bass player ducked out (and Richard was starting to decline physically enough to the point where he assumed it would be tough for him to fill the role, though he was an excellent bass player - definitely better than me), either he, or he, quaco and bix, or some combination thereof, suggested me. Which resulted in me playing about a dozen gigs as his bass player.

But that was who Richard was - as others have said, he was a facilitator. I'm a huge Kevin Ayers fan, but he's a Kevin Ayers fan that produced a bunch of shows for him in LA, hired a band, and made sure he was comfortable while here. He was a superfan, but also a great musician in his own right, who had a reputation as a straight shooter who treated people fairly.

A lot of people will miss him, but considering he wanted to check out before the pain got unbearable, I have it on good authority that he felt he won that battle by checking out when he did. Glad his pain is over.
Jimbo wrote:My point is to save the world from WWIII.

Jimbo wrote:Trump is right. The collusion conspiracy theory has been debunked and you seem to refuse to look at the evidence.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017 2018!!