R.I.P., Tim Conway

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Charlie O.

R.I.P., Tim Conway

Postby Charlie O. » 16 May 2019, 04:44

I was just watching a classic Carol Burnett Show sketch on YouTube when I saw that someone had uploaded a tribute to Tim Conway, with an R.I.P.

Huh, I thought - I didn't even know he was dead! Then I saw that the tribute had just been uploaded.

"Conway died on May 14, 2019 at the age of 85 from complications of normal pressure hydrocephalus," says Wikipedia.

I first encountered him on the old sitcom McHale's Navy, and he did lots of other stuff, but most Americans (at least) would know him best from his many guest appearances on the Burnett show. (He finally became a full time cast member in the last season, but he had been on so frequently before then that many people remember him as being one all along.)* His specialty was making the cast corpse - particularly poor Harvey Korman.

This might be the best known example, though like a lot of that show's sketches it takes a while to get going - I recommend skipping to about the five minute mark:

I don't know if this sketch ever did get finished, but it couldn't have been as hilarious as the outtakes:

R.I.P. to one of the funniest men ever to grace my TV screen.

*correction: he actually joined the cast starting with the ninth season (out of eleven)
Last edited by Charlie O. on 16 May 2019, 21:06, edited 1 time in total.

fange
100% fangetastic

Re: R.I.P., Tim Conway

Postby fange » 16 May 2019, 11:09

I grew up with "McHale's Navy", so I was a fan as a kid, but you know what I really enjoyed most about his career? The late-career cameo of having him and Ernest Borgnine as the voices of Mermaid Man (Borgnine) and Barnacle Boy (Conway) in SpongeBob SquarePants. My girls and I laughed so many times at their lines and delivery.

RIP.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 16 May 2019, 17:19

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 16 May 2019, 19:24

I was wondering why that name sounded familiar. SKy Arts channel here is airing a series The Sixties looking at various aspects - Music, Politics etc and on an episode I caught about TV, they showed that Dentist sketch. I guess TV shows didn't cross the ocean quite as readily back in the day. The real surprise from the show was The Smothers Brothers. I knew the name but no real impact this side of the Atlantic and I alwys imagined them as some kind of anodyne cozy entertainment, but it seems they were quite radical for the times.
We're way past rhubarb

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 16 May 2019, 20:21

RIP, indeed.
I saw some things a few years ago from the Carol Burnett Show that were absolutely hilarious but whenever I look up clips now they don’t quite deliver. Anyway, I don’t know quite how to say what I mean beyond saying that he was almost always great.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 16 May 2019, 20:55

Re-watching that Emmy clip, I spotted Georgia Engel in the audience which got me looking up her Wiki page. She died last month! :(

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 20 May 2019, 18:30

What's a Tim Conway?

About 125 pounds.

RIP
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 21 May 2019, 16:51

the nicest thing about his passing was how many people remember laughing at him on television while watching with their families.
that's a pretty nice send off.
Björk says we all need to get off Facebook and go for a walk.
https://i-d.vice.com/en_us/article/mbva ... q097SIBlf4