Farage

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony

Re: Farage

Postby The Prof » 23 May 2019, 16:36

Yeh don't be such a stick in the mud.

Throwing eggs at politicians is as old as politics.
Milkshakes are a natural development with several times more goo.

Powehi

Postby Powehi » 24 May 2019, 13:09

Problem is stunts like this have a habit of backfiring.

Look at the 82 year old Brexit guy who got a shaking yesterday. At last count, the gullible
public had stumped up £14,000 to buy him a new suit. One imagines most of the remainder will
end up in Brexit party coffers.

If it was actually a Remain supporter who did it, all he's succeeded in doing is to hand
Farage and his lactose-intolerant mates a huge PR gift.

It could, of course, equally been faked by the old guy himself with much the same results.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 27 May 2019, 13:24

So Farage won, BUT Remain parties had a larger share of the vote than Leave parties overall.

And that Remain share does not include any of Labour's 14.5 % which I suspect is mainly remain (poling suggests that Labour voters are 75% remain). While the Leave share does not include any of the Tories' modest number of votes - harder to speculate on where they would have gone, but presumably mainly Leave.

I still reckon too close to call if there were to be another referendum.

Despite the undeniable success, Farage's performance was at the lower end of what was expected.

To sum up then: :?

'Tommeh' sank without trace though :lol: prick.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 27 May 2019, 20:00

Looks like we hadnt had ‘peak’ Farage when this thread started. Might be a while yet before his bubble bursts

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 27 May 2019, 20:32

The Prof wrote:Looks like we hadnt had ‘peak’ Farage when this thread started. Might be a while yet before his bubble bursts

Looks like we hadn't quite got the measure of quite how stupid 50% of the British public really are. One minute it is Corbyn, now it's Farage. when will they learn that politics is not about the party that promises to give everything away?
You don't like me...do you?

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 27 May 2019, 21:04

yomptepi wrote:
The Prof wrote:Looks like we hadnt had ‘peak’ Farage when this thread started. Might be a while yet before his bubble bursts

Looks like we hadn't quite got the measure of quite how stupid 50% of the British public really are. One minute it is Corbyn, now it's Farage. when will they learn that politics is not about the party that promises to give everything away?

And the old Tory completely fails to mention May - the Prime Minister during this whole sorry episode.

Well that's a surprise. Said no one. Ever.
To sleep, perchance to dream- ay, there's the rub
I don't like that man. I must get to know him better.
The fashion of passion i rationed with caution because of the notion the potion of passion had never been passed to me

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 27 May 2019, 21:05

Um. Did you see who won the most seats at the 2014 European elections and failed to win a single one this time around? That would be UKIP.

Notice a trend here?
The fashion of passion i rationed with caution because of the notion the potion of passion had never been passed to me

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 27 May 2019, 22:11

Yeh, Farage forming another party and taking all the UKIP votes and then some.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 May 2019, 09:45

The Prof wrote:Yeh, Farage forming another party and taking all the UKIP votes and then some.

He must be hoping against hope that there's a General Election before Brexit is sorted. Because, if the Election is delayed until after we leave/stay, the Brexit Party will be another busted flush and will sink accordingly.

One Policy Parties are viable until that policy is put to bed. Then they immediately become redundant.

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 28 May 2019, 09:59

I wouldn't be too sure. He's probably writing his election manifesto right now between press interviews.
I've already heard him say he'd abolish the House of Lords.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 May 2019, 11:09

The Prof wrote:I wouldn't be too sure. He's probably writing his election manifesto right now between press interviews.
I've already heard him say he'd abolish the House of Lords.

Based on that, he'll get my vote! :lol:

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 28 May 2019, 12:25

I know you're joking but a far right wing manifesto with a few popular things thrown in is a very dangerous agenda.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 May 2019, 13:09

I am joking, but not about the House Of Lords. It needs to be abolished immediately.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 28 May 2019, 13:41

The Prof wrote:Yeh, Farage forming another party and taking all the UKIP votes and then some.

A swing from Farage to Farage as someone said.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 28 May 2019, 15:35

Diamond Dog wrote:
yomptepi wrote:

And the old Tory completely fails to mention May - the Prime Minister during this whole sorry episode.

I don't recall her promising to give anything away. She was always the strong and stable candidate wasn't she. Not that you'd know...

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 28 May 2019, 15:52

I don't know about that.
The actual result was at the lower end of what the Brexit Party was expected to do (Still astonishing though) and certainly not good enough to suggest any mandate for crashing out.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 28 May 2019, 17:34

Deebank wrote:

I don't know about that.
The actual result was at the lower end of what the Brexit Party was expected to do (Still astonishing though) and certainly not good enough to suggest any mandate for crashing out.

When looked at in the cold light of day, and taking into account that once again young people decided it was too much trouble to vote so the turnout was dismal, it looks like all Farage did was transfer the UKIP vote over to brexit. The remarkable thing is how dedicated these half wits are. If only the rest of the electorate were as responsible with their right to vote, then perhaps we wouldn't be in this situation. As it stands a man like Farage can stand to be taken seriously because he has loyal and dedicated voters backing him up. This becomes even more understandable when you look at the Tories and at Corbyn and his rag tag team of drones. Why would anyone go out of their way to vote for either when they don't even have a strategy between them. Just a mire of self interest and rampant egomania. The house of commons resembles little more than a monks chain of mp's, all desperately trying to get noticed. Perhaps a short talk on the concept of public service might be in order, but I suspect they would all be too busy indulging themselves at the subsidised bars and restaurants to bother to listen.

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 28 May 2019, 18:30

Deebank wrote:

I don't know about that.

You think he’s just going to get back in his box? I don’t see that happening any time soon, unfortunately.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 29 May 2019, 08:19

I'm with Prof. Even if a no deal Brexit were to happen before a General Election, he'd find another issue to whip up a frenzy about..probably immigration. How far he can go I don't know, it depends how significant the Tory collapse is. In a minority government, he actually wouldn't need that many seats to hold the balance of power and at that point would probably be offered a senior government position.
There's a very good New York Times article on him
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/editorpicks/nigel-farage-is-the-most-dangerous-man-in-britain/ar-AAC3NbT?ocid=spartandhp

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 29 May 2019, 09:00

yomptepi wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:
yomptepi wrote:

I don't recall her promising to give anything away. She was always the strong and stable candidate wasn't she. Not that you'd know...

Well there's all the tax breaks for the rich and allowing avoidance of corporation tax of course...but we shan't talk about that shall we? Why do you think London has become the favoured home for Russian oligarchs? They're not here for the weather.