Five on Friday

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Samoan

Five on Friday

Postby Samoan » 26 Apr 2019, 12:30

1. Have you ever been surfing ?

2. Order-in something for your supper tonight, including drinkies. Splash out a little. Treat yourself...

3. Tell us about your sofa. Is it dream seating or has it seen better days ?

4. Is it the death knell of corded vacuum cleaners we can hear in the distant breeze or do you still have total faith in your powerful, trusty old Hoover ?

5. Have you ever been in danger or a tight spot due to weather or a climate related incident ?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Re: Five on Friday

Postby Minnie the Minx » 27 Apr 2019, 03:19

No! I'm clumsy and graceless.

2. Order-in something for your supper tonight, including drinkies. Splash out a little. Treat yourself...

I'd probably go curry and champers - "high end"

Christ.
The sofa I wanted upstairs in the TV room couldn't get up the stairs, too big. So it's in the lounge,which is fine, I love it, but husband hates it. It's a huge red thing dragged from a neighbour that neeed four bicarbonate of soda soaks to get the dog smell out. It's in the lounge now, which doesn't work COLOUR SCHEME wise but does work daytime nap, comfort wise. I love it.

4. Is it the death knell of corded vacuum cleaners we can hear in the distant breeze or do you still have total faith in your powerful, trusty old Hoover ?
I'm not sure what you mean

5. Have you ever been in danger or a tight spot due to weather or a climate related incident ?

Danger is pushing it, but during Hurricane Harvey some of the neighbour's trees came down and smashed our fence.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 27 Apr 2019, 03:25

No but it's something that's hugely attractive to me. Rather ungainly bodily makeup notwithstanding, I'd very much like to surf. I feel the same way about snow skiing.

The hipster pizza place (way down the road) does sensational sub sandwiches. Texans don't really do this. Let's have the fucking Italian with a six pack. I swear, y'all, it's the balls.

We have 3 sofas. I'm at peace with one and one half of them.

Our vacuum cleaner basically gets the job done. But this is a household implement I have never trusted or held faith in.

Yeah, I mean, weather is a regular thing here.
Specifically, I remember sitting through tropical storms rolling through our town, 100 something miles from the Gulf. It was a two story house, 12 foot ceilings in the 1st floor. No basemement, In fact, the house was built 3 feet above ground. You DO hear the sound of a freight train rolling through. That's happened a few times. Then there was the time that the eastern seaboard was totally socked in by a winter storm in spring. I flew in from New Orleans (where there were snowlfakes) to Philly (where there was real snow) and made it to my roommate's parent's house in South Philly. It was an adventure.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 27 Apr 2019, 11:16

Only when I was a toddler. I don't much care for cold water.

2. Order-in something for your supper tonight, including drinkies. Splash out a little. Treat yourself..

A Thai or Vietnamese salad, something with lots of lime and corriander. Some nice cocktails and cold beers.

We had to get rid of our sofa because the dog had puked on it too many times and the smell had become too pervasive - I always hated it though, cheap nasty thing we bought when we were skint on the never never. We've got a more vom-resistant leather sofa as a back up though.

We've got a Vax cordless thing that I got off the telly (QVC) cheap (half the price it was in Tesco). It worked OK for a while, but the pipe gets easily clogged and it lacks power compared to our old Henry. The problem with Henry is - dog smells alert agin - the bag fills up with dog detritus and then it blows out dog-smell the whole time. I suppose we should get a corded Dyson (we used to have one which was very effective) but James Dyson is a nasty tory hypocrite scumbag.

'Danger' might be pushing it a bit but one Easter me and the mrs (I think she may even have been pregnant at the time) decided to walk around Cwm Idwal in Snowdonia.

Some doughty walker coming down the path said "It's a bit wet oop top like", but I said "Cobblers! I grew up walking in these mountains!" or words to that effect and on we pressed, laughing in the face of a bit of water. Being lazy, I decided we should take a short cut across the back of the cwm (Never leave the path!) rather than attempt the arduous ascent to the Devil's Kitchen. As we scrambled through the boulders and scree, a wall of white came up the Ogwen Valley towards us - a huge hail storm! We found a handy shelter among some boulders and sat it out. Of course the problem with hail is that it sits on the ground and then all melts at once literally flooding into the streams turning them into raging torrents. So when we came to the stream that comes down from the back of the cwn it had swollen into a fierce white water torrent. I reckon I could have jumped it, but not my pregnant wife!

I really did not want to retrace our steps back the way we came but ultimately decided this was the only sensible option - we ended up scrambling back down the path which had itself turned into a waterfall. The cup of hot chocolate at Ogwen Falls cafe was very welcome when we got back to the car park. We were never less than about half a mile from the A5 main road the whole time! Of course when we had arrived earlier the sun was shining and the sky was blue. Perhaps the Mountain Rescue helicopter which was winching a climber off Tryfan should have been a sign.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 28 Apr 2019, 10:13

I went surfing at St Ouen's bay in Jersey when I was about 25. I was doing Ok, but I fell off once and got caught in a rip current and couldn't find the surface. When I did my surf board smashed me in the head and i went down again. very scary and I haven't tried again.

I did . veggie hot one pizza and large Vermouth.

It is still good, although I never sit on it. I have a wing back arm chair which has definitely seen better days. probably be replaced when we move.

We have a Miele , which is absolutely brilliant. I think we are going to get a cordless one for the upstairs though.

I got sun burned last year. I did not like it.
You don't like me...do you?

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 28 Apr 2019, 10:24

No but it's always sounded alluring, the whole culture and that. Maybe if I'd grown up in Cornwall or I believe there's a surf scene on the Northumbrian coast. I swim pretty well but I think ultimately I'd chicken-out from the cold of it in this country.

I'd go for a spring roll, barbequed pork chow mein, prawn crackers to snack on and a nice Chablis.

I had to get a new one about 2 years ago as the arm on one side collapsed. I had to wait 5 months for it so I negotiated £60 off and they disposed of it for free.
It's serviceable, nice and long but the fabric I chose pills on the seat cushions and from time to time I'm at it with a disposable razor to get it smooth. Don't know why I bother as you don't notice when the lights are low but I've a bee in my bonnet about it as a sofa is a big ticket furniture purchase.
I got a surprise when I noticed the Azir family in Coronation Street have a similar sofa and exactly the same fabric.

I think cordless vacs are a fad (like steam cleaners) when folk realise how little punch they pack. My 20 year old Henry is so powerful it eats socks. There's one in there at the moment which I will have to salvage as it's half of a good pair when I next change the bag.
Like Deebank, I'd never buy any vac from that Dyson bloke.

Nothing extreme but I remember days of torrential rainfall when we were kids on a camping holiday in France and one night my Dad was up with a shovel digging a trench round my brother and mine's tent.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 29 Apr 2019, 09:24

I got a surprise when I noticed the Azir family in Coronation Street have a similar sofa and exactly the same fabric.

It's horrible when that happens.

Back in the 90s I had the same sweater as Roy (Pat Butcher's one time hubby) in Eastenders. I was never 100% about that jumper and Roy was the final nail in its coffin. Imagine having the same clothing as Barry's dad! :o
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 01 May 2019, 11:02

Deebank wrote:

It's horrible when that happens.

Back in the 90s I had the same sweater as Roy (Pat Butcher's one time hubby) in Eastenders. I was never 100% about that jumper and Roy was the final nail in its coffin. Imagine having the same clothing as Barry's dad! :o

It's not good, no. I've got the same M & S scarf as Harriet Walter in Law and Order UK, a gloomy green thing I never really liked and it's now in the back of the car in my emergency breakdown cold weather bag.