5 questions, none about Brexit

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

5 questions, none about Brexit

Postby Minnie the Minx » 08 Apr 2019, 10:49

1. What's your favourite stretch of motorway? (Highway). What journeys do you look forward to and why?

2. Animals and animal companions - do you think the cuddliness of pets makes a difference as to how much you love them? If your hamster had a coat like sheet steel, or your cat felt more like an iguana, would you perhaps love them less?

3. Lace curtains! what happened to them? Do you still have them?

4. What book do you enjoy having read to you? If nobody does, what book would you like someone to read to you?

5. A swimming pool at your house. Do you like the idea, or not?
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony

Re: 5 questions, none about Brexit

Postby The Prof » 08 Apr 2019, 11:13

1. Certainly not the motorway to Dover. That will be chaos after Brexit

2. Exactly! What about import/export licences? Look at 6 months quarantine for a hamster and it's probably die of old age thanks to Brexit

3. Introduced to he UK by Remainer Catherine of Aragon and what will happen to the Lace Making Guild without EU funding? Brexiteers don't think to ask these questions. another Brexit disaster.

4. Clearly all 500+ pages of the draft withdrawal Brexit agreement. It's a Brexit nonsense

5. If I was a Disaster Capitalist edging money of a catastrophic collapse of the pound after Brexit then yes, I'd be drawing up plans for a pool because, let's face it, they are the only ones going to benefit from this whole Brexit mess.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 08 Apr 2019, 12:24

:x

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Powehi

Postby Powehi » 08 Apr 2019, 12:41

1. What's your favourite stretch of motorway? (Highway). What journeys do you look forward to and why?

The M5 to Brexiter

2. Animals and animal companions - do you think the cuddliness of pets makes a difference as to how much you love them? If your hamster had a coat like sheet steel, or your cat felt more like an iguana, would you perhaps love them less?

My only pet is an Ibrex which I love despite its having a very rough coat

Seem to be brextinct down our way

4. What book do you enjoy having read to you? If nobody does, what book would you like someone to read to you?

Last Brexit to Brooklyn

Only if its offers sufficient room to do the brex stroke

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 08 Apr 2019, 14:23

1. What's your favourite stretch of motorway? (Highway). What journeys do you look forward to and why?Trail ridge road - Colorado- 11 miles above 11,000 ft. . Two journeys coming up one driving the west coast of Cali from San Diego to LA. Other St Louis to Northern Arkansas

yes - I've had cats that are lap cats and ones that won't even let you pet them. lap cats get more love!

they get dusty and dirty looking no matter how much you clean them- eventually they end up in the trash

? a cookbook recipe while cooking :lol:

5. A swimming pool at your house. Do you like the idea, or not?prefer what I've got now - live in a condo unit with 5 pools. Never want one on my own too much maintenance.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 08 Apr 2019, 17:20

[quote="Minnie the Minx"]1. What's your favourite stretch of motorway? (Highway). What journeys do you look forward to and why?

There is a stetch of the A 34 between Oxford and the M4 where you can see the road about three miles ahead of you. I used to love taking my old BMW 735 Alpina down that stretch, and really giving it some welly. magic.

Perhaps. All of our cats have very different coats, but they are all really soft. Our Maine Coon doesn't do cuddles at all, but the two boys are both very tactile, and love to be picked up and made a fuss of. It doesn't make me love Miss B E Bee any less

No

I did try to get into audio books, and I spent quite a lot of money on a good collection. Every time I put one on I am asleep within five minutes.

I like the idea, but they are hugely impractical in the UK, and no one I know who has one feels they get any sort of value from it. When I live by the sea I will swim every day.
You don't like me...do you?

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 08 Apr 2019, 19:42

caramba wrote:
Last Brexit to Brooklyn

:D
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 08 Apr 2019, 19:47

Minnie the Minx wrote:1. What's your favourite stretch of motorway? (Highway). What journeys do you look forward to and why?

1. None. Don't drive myself, and was never driven much.
2. No pets, thanks, but Chinchillas are super soft.
3. It's a generation thing.
4. Would never be able to concentrate. But in elementary school, we used to have teacher read us Norse mythology sagas, they could hold our attention for ten minutes or so.
5. No. But still preferable to public pools. (no piss)
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Flower

Postby Flower » 09 Apr 2019, 00:49

Highway 90 from Jacksonville to New Orleans.. I look forward to stress free journeys but they don't seem to be possible..

No .. I've loved untouched feral cats as much as beloved lap cats.

No one in my family has ever had them to my knowledge.

I last books read to me were by Dr. Seuss ... Maybe "If I ran the Circus"

Not a good idea, too much work and I'd worry that some poor animal would drown .. the neighbor's kids drowning won't be an issue except for the legal aspect.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 09 Apr 2019, 03:23

Any journey to the Lake District from Lancashire, crossing Lancashire into Yorkshire, driving to Oban.

There's something about nesting with a soft, warm creature that snuggles into you on a regular basis - over years - that is one of the most lovely part of having a relationship with an animal. I'm sure I could love a porcupine, but being unable to cuddle it would have a detrimental effect, I think.

No, but I did in the UK. Only as the previous owner had them, and I never got round to taking them down. When I did take them down before I left the UK I was horrified to find they were completely caked in crap and insects.
When I used to live near Blackburn and walk down the streets on the hillsides on the way to Ewood, absolutely everyone had them and every few weeks someone would be washing them. What a fucking pallava that seemed to be - trying to thread them back onto that wire. Bollocks to that!

I still like hearing Estonian poetry, even when I can understand so little of it. Everyone loves Winnie the Pooh as well don't they? At any age.

A surprising amount of houses in our hood have them, but they don't seem to add any price onto a house. They seem like a complete fucking ballache, needing constant cleaning and maintenance. One house we walk past most days have drained theirs and it just sits there gathering leaves. How do you go about getting them removed? Another ballache. Having said that, when it's pushing 100 here I'd swim in any old bastard's pool.

Dr Markus wrote:

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 09 Apr 2019, 05:32

I no longer enjoy driving and particularly dislike motorway driving, so never look forward to it. In the days when I did like to drive a bit it was never motorways but the A and B roads, especially in Scotland’s highlands.

Oh yes definitely. If you can’t cuddle it I’m not interested.

pointless. I don’t even have curtains of any kind in my living room

i use to like the sound of my old English Teachers voice when she read aloud from a book. It didn’t matter what book.

I live in an apartment so it’s not possible but the apartment block has its own pool and dipping in that after a long day out in the stifling Hong Kong summers is wonderful. If I had a house in this kind of climate I’d happily have one in my garden. I wouldn’t bother in the U.K. as it would hardly be used.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 09 Apr 2019, 08:11

Not a motorway but there is a road that leads directly to Watergate Bay in Cornwall.... it's a stunning view as you go over the brow of the hill and see the beach unfurl below you. That's magical.

Of course

The flat I live in now had them. I removed them immediately. Bloody horrible things.

I've not had a book read to me since my teacher at school.

If I could, of course I would
"Excuse my dust."
"On mellow blue, birds curve and glide, Through shadows of grief she slides,"
"It's a scientific fact that if you stay in California you lose one point of your IQ every year."

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 09 Apr 2019, 14:15

I forgot to mention the A road into Bath that goes in over the tops from up north.

Dr Markus wrote:

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 09 Apr 2019, 17:14

The M25. When I lived in London we raced around it at 3 o’clock in the morning to see what your best time was. Exciting as hell. My record was on a tricked out Suzuki Katana.
Nah, I’m not that superficial.
Do you realise it takes approximately 5 days to hand make 1cm square of lace. There’s your answer.
Bobby Seale’s history of the Black Panther movement.
I quite fancy a Lido. I wouldn’t let anyone else in though.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 09 Apr 2019, 18:53

Diamond Dog wrote:Not a motorway but there is a road that leads directly to Watergate Bay in Cornwall.... it's a stunning view as you go over the brow of the hill and see the beach unfurl below you. That's magical.
[/color]

Love Watergate Bay. My Cousin owns the pub (now called Wax, used to be called The Pheonix when he ran it) there.
I have a pic of my daughter sat outside the Watergate Bay Hotel on a sun lounger and you can see the distinctive visage (and quiff) of Mark Kermode staring out to sea through the window behind her - purely by coincidence. We only noticed him when we looked at the pics later, like a ghost... or something.

Anyway, best road is the A5 through Eryri (Snowdonia).
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 11 Apr 2019, 09:29

What's your favourite stretch of motorway? (Highway). What journeys do you look forward to and why?
The M6 from junction 36 (Kendal turn off) towards Penrith, where you're suddenly thrown into the properly barren and inspiring rolling hills. Similarly Lake Districty, the A591 from Ambleside to Kendal is probably the nicest drive I know of, particularly that stretch past Thirlmere.

Animals and animal companions - do you think the cuddliness of pets makes a difference as to how much you love them? If your hamster had a coat like sheet steel, or your cat felt more like an iguana, would you perhaps love them less?
Dunno. Probably, never really had much in the way of pets. Kept some zebra finches for a while, but you wouldn't exactly cuddle one.

Lace curtains! what happened to them? Do you still have them?
My wife hates them with a vehemence that you'd normally reserve for Tories or people who start threads about The Beatles. So no, we don't have them.

What book do you enjoy having read to you? If nobody does, what book would you like someone to read to you?
Why would you have someone read a book to you? Bob Carolgees can read Infinite Jest at me.

A swimming pool at your house. Do you like the idea, or not?
If my house was somewhere else, and I didn't have to clean it myself, sure.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.