Ice cream with less than 40% dairy cream is not good ice cream

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Ice cream with less than 40% dairy cream is not good ice cream

Postby GoogaMooga » 29 Mar 2019, 21:25

Had an ice cream dessert tonight, Dutch import, peach-vanilla swirl, at 43% dairy cream. I could tell the difference immediately. So smooth, so rich, so tasty. Oh, I know there is a lot of ice cream containing 20% or less, or even no cream at all, trying to pass as real ice cream. I may be spoilt, but no thanks. Then I'd rather do without.

Peach ice cream, mmm... Reminds me of the first year or two in Tokyo, when you could still get Lady Borden with that flavor. Lady Borden has got to be the richest, creamiest, smoothest ice cream in the world. Yes, indeed! Meiji licensed the brand from 1971 to 1991, then Lotte took over the license. Haagen-Dazs outsells Lady Borden by far, but Lady Borden is secretly the better ice cream.

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Powehi

Re: Ice cream with less than 40% dairy cream is not good ice cream

Postby Powehi » 30 Mar 2019, 00:20

Wasn‘t there a famous legal case where it was established that, rather than enriched with cream, Bordens had in fact been adulterated with quite a lot of wax?

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Re: Ice cream with less than 40% dairy cream is not good ice cream

Postby GoogaMooga » 30 Mar 2019, 01:09

First I've heard of that, couldn't have been the Japanese one, they have high standards.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck