Postby Six String » 16 Mar 2019, 15:55

Eggcellent.

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Re: New Zealand mosque attacks

Postby The Red Heifer » 16 Mar 2019, 20:58

never/ever wrote:
The Red Heifer wrote:
By the way feel free to stop by Fraser Anning's twitter page to call him a complete fuckwit. If even Piers Morgan roasts you for being a horrible person you must be downright evil.

This will warm the cockles of your heart...

https://chaser.com.au/news/eggteen-no-f ... year-2020/

That kid (Will Connolly as it happens is his name), is a fucking hero. Anning is lucky he escaped with a mere egg. Cunt deserved to be bricked.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 18 Mar 2019, 07:25

To be honest, I'm absolutely shattered- and I'm still trying to process how an act so manifestly evil could occur in my country, hell, in a city that my parents live in and I frequently visit. I've been in Christchurch over the weekend and the general vibe is one of complete shellshock. This isn't like the Christchurch earthquakes, because as harrowing as it was (and still is), you could explain it, it was a natural disaster. This...well, there clearly has been something bubbling under that I wasn't aware of. Media commentator and all-round top bloke Russel Brown talks eloquently about the subculture that someone like Tarrant belonged to, and how it's been allowed to grow in certain dark corners. But for all that premonition, I (naively) felt that it wouldn't happen here. I honestly thought it was "all talk". As Brown points out, the rhetoric in certain corners has become so toxic that sometimes those with actionable intent can hide in plain sight.

I've been impressed immensely by Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern, both in her displays of total empathy with the victims and indeed the entire Muslim community, and in her forthright stance that our firearms regulations will change and soon. Also, I thought it was both right and necessary to call this event what it was: an act of terrorism. I've been touched by the sheer amount of goodwill that has been on display since the event. The vigils of schoolkids- and they are kids- has been both impressive and heartening.

And I certainly don't envy the colleagues of mine who have been pulling 12 or even 18 hour shifts covering this thing in the media- it makes my own role, as a lowly local government and environment reporter, feel decidedly small. And I honestly don't know what it all means, and probably never will. Other than the fact that the gunman obviously wanted to stir up hate and divide New Zealanders against oneanother. Well, he failed to do that.

And I never, ever expected it to happen here.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony

Postby The Prof » 18 Mar 2019, 10:31

The Red Heifer wrote:
never/ever wrote:
The Red Heifer wrote:
By the way feel free to stop by Fraser Anning's twitter page to call him a complete fuckwit. If even Piers Morgan roasts you for being a horrible person you must be downright evil.

This will warm the cockles of your heart...

https://chaser.com.au/news/eggteen-no-f ... year-2020/

That kid (Will Connolly as it happens is his name), is a fucking hero. Anning is lucky he escaped with a mere egg. Cunt deserved to be bricked.

Just seen the video. Jeez, he doesn't half give that lad a punch. What an arse.

Nice that some of the donation money is going to victims charity.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 18 Mar 2019, 10:56

The Write Profile wrote:To be honest, I'm absolutely shattered- and I'm still trying to process how an act so manifestly evil could occur in my country, hell, in a city that my parents live in and I frequently visit.

What's horrible to think as well is that he is inspired by the two events where my response was pretty similar to the above - the van attack in Stockholm (where I'm from), and Breivik's unspeakable massacre of children in neighbouring Norway. I couldn't really speak about those two attacks for quite some time after they happened, the shock and sadness was too deep - and this guy actually gets motivated to kill by them. Unthinkable.

Hope you are doing OK.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 19 Mar 2019, 08:20

Geezee wrote:
The Write Profile wrote:To be honest, I'm absolutely shattered- and I'm still trying to process how an act so manifestly evil could occur in my country, hell, in a city that my parents live in and I frequently visit.

What's horrible to think as well is that he is inspired by the two events where my response was pretty similar to the above - the van attack in Stockholm (where I'm from), and Breivik's unspeakable massacre of children in neighbouring Norway. I couldn't really speak about those two attacks for quite some time after they happened, the shock and sadness was too deep - and this guy actually gets motivated to kill by them. Unthinkable.

Hope you are doing OK.

Thanks, it's been a harrowing few days for sure. I think NZ journalist Steve Braunias sums up my feelings about the atrocity- namely it felt like something weirdly and horrifyingly "imported". There's simply no precedent for it in New Zealand- previous mass murders have been of the "man alone" type, whereas this attack was utterly premeditated.
It doesn’t make a lick of sense. This sort of thing — an attack, an armed moron with a mission statement, three accomplices running amok in a flat, romantic city, with its gentle Avon River and its cherry blossom in spring — simply doesn’t belong here.

When we go about mass killing, we go about it furtively. The Bain family of five, shot at dawn by a deranged family member in Dunedin. David Gray, the lone gunman who shot and killed 13 neighbors in Aramoana. They were New Zealand killings, in the New Zealand manner — seething tensions suddenly unleashed, a mad dog gone wrong. They had recognizable national characteristics.

But the mosque killings were something new, something off the chart. This was organized, planned, slaughter on a large scale of the innocent, carried out by a killer or killers with a head full of militant trash — the usual rubbish of white supremacy, with its fear and loathing of immigrants.

But the terrorists weren’t hitting out at some separate, isolated community. Muslims in New Zealand are part of the fabric of everyday life. Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern is at her best when she addresses issues of national identity. She noted in her news conference held to announce the tragedy that many of the victims of the shooting were migrants. “They have chosen to make New Zealand their home and it is their home,” she said. “They are us.” The terrorists killed New Zealanders.

As an aside, I'm pleased that the company I work for has decided that it would not name the killer in any of its reports of the incident, in line with the Prime Minister's decision to do the same thing in her address to Parliament. He is not us.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 19 Mar 2019, 08:33

I'd just like to say that I've been hugely impressed with the words, demeanour & actions of Jacinda Ardern - she has proven to be a real leader of people and a tremendous role model for others.
"Excuse my dust."
"On mellow blue, birds curve and glide, Through shadows of grief she slides,"
"It's a scientific fact that if you stay in California you lose one point of your IQ every year."

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 19 Mar 2019, 08:42

Diamond Dog wrote:I'd just like to say that I've been hugely impressed with the words, demeanour & actions of Jacinda Ardern - she has proven to be a real leader of people and a tremendous role model for others.

Oh, absolutely. She was already known for her empathy, but her response to this has been nothing short of faultless. She's humanised the victims and made it part of a larger conversation we probably need to have about how we speak of others. And she's delegated roles when needed, as evidenced in the fact that there will be an inquiry into where NZ's intelligence service failed. Also, the fact she was so quick to indicate that gun laws will be changed was a great way of seizing the initiative.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 23 Mar 2019, 02:21

kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 29 Mar 2019, 00:43

My best friend in Austin is a New Zealander. We had drinks last night for the first time since the attacks, and she told me of relatives of hers who had sent her all these extraordinary examples of public kindness and displays of solidarity that had floored her. It's one of the things that's stopped her from sinking, the knowledge that from such horror, such intense love and compassion has flourished.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?