GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Vital consumer products that are drying up

Postby GoogaMooga » 03 Mar 2019, 22:07

Vital to you and me:

CD jewel cases
CD inlay trays
DVD cases
Blu-ray cases (do they even sell those?)
CD players
DVD players
Blu-ray players (Samsung stopped production)

As it is, I can only get standard and slimline double, clear tray jewel cases in Denmark. Fatboys, singles, and slimline double, black tray jewel cases I have to order from the UK. And those confounded dual lid Motown cases? Nowhere to be found. Roy from Trackback had them a long time ago, so long ago that he does not even remember now.

Then there is CD storage:

Harald Nyborg stopped selling their cardboard folding boxes from China (I think). There is only Ikea and an office supplier, at a significantly higher price. Ryman in the UK still does folding boxes, £1 each incl. VAT, but Zilth Pilchards says postage has gone way up in the UK, so that would eat up any savings right there.

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Re: Vital consumer products that are drying up

Postby Toby » 04 Mar 2019, 07:45

SELL IT ALL

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 04 Mar 2019, 09:14

Toby wrote:SELL IT ALL

Good heavens, no.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 04 Mar 2019, 13:59

Towels
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 04 Mar 2019, 14:45

GoogaMooga wrote:Then there is CD storage:

Harald Nyborg stopped selling their cardboard folding boxes from China (I think). There is only Ikea and an office supplier, at a significantly higher price. Ryman in the UK still does folding boxes, £1 each incl. VAT, but Zilth Pilchards says postage has gone way up in the UK, so that would eat up any savings right there.

Have you tried shelves?
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 04 Mar 2019, 15:22

The first years, yes, but then the collection got out of hand, so the bookcases are now only for books and hc comics. Folding boxes are the only practical way when you've got 10,000+.

I'll probably get the Leitz boxes from a supplier, they are appx. £5, but are sturdy and can hold up to 30 CDs.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 05 Mar 2019, 03:04

iPods. A small Apple or other iTunes compatible device that plays music and podcasts. Can't understand why they discontinued making them. The used electronic appliance shop I visit sells out used iPods fast. I predict there will be a new version one day soon. Or I hope so because I burn them out pretty fast.
Cold War Number One: 70 years of daily national stupidity. Cold War Number Two: Still in its youth, but just as stupid. - William Blum

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 05 Mar 2019, 03:45

CD jewel cases Throw them away
CD inlay trays Throw them away
DVD cases plan to get rid of them
Blu-ray cases (do they even sell those?) don't have any
CD players
DVD players no longer have one
Blu-ray players (Samsung stopped production) don't have one

CD players will probably be a round a while yet but the rest will disappear

Powehi

Postby Powehi » 05 Mar 2019, 09:05

Replaced all my CD jewel cases and inlays and DVD/BluRay plastic cases with space saving poly sleeves a few years back. Then artists who should really have known better started releasing CDs in cardboard sleeves. Am now about to cull huge numbers of DVDs that I'll almost certainly never watch again. Am hanging on to my BluRay and CD players and spent about £100 on a couple of low-end back ups for if I ever reach my dotage.