Bloke Or Guy?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Jimbo

Bloke Or Guy?

Postby Jimbo » 03 Mar 2019, 13:05

...or dude, cat, individual, fellow, character, whatever the kids are saying these days, etc.

I was listening to an interview with this British, um, guy and he said something about a "bloke" he knew and I gave a thought to just how easily he said the word and how it is something I would never say unless I was doing my dumb impression of a Brit. I do lapse back to my long hair days from time to time and say "dude." I'm big on "buddy" these days because my name memory function has gone to crap. But that's different. I wouldn't refer to another guy, a third-person sort, as "buddy." Anyway ...
Cold War Number One: 70 years of daily national stupidity. Cold War Number Two: Still in its youth, but just as stupid. - William Blum

Flower

Re: Bloke Or Guy?

Postby Flower » 03 Mar 2019, 17:39

My mother often used the term "fellow" ... :)

I tend to use either guy, friend, co-worker, neighbor .. etc.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 03 Mar 2019, 21:56

Guy. Even after eight years in the UK, I never used "bloke". Maybe "chap".
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 03 Mar 2019, 22:18

Early on in my time here in Japan this guy came to our school, a salesman perhaps, and I asked a colleague who was that "yatzu" (guy) and he was aghast at my words. I learned he was not just a "yatsu" but "okyaku-san." an honored visitor or guest. Well, suuuuumimasen. (Excuuuuuse me.)
Cold War Number One: 70 years of daily national stupidity. Cold War Number Two: Still in its youth, but just as stupid. - William Blum

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 04 Mar 2019, 07:48

Bloke, every time. I couldn't imagine saying "guy", without trying to do some kind of ironic "you guys" shitty pisstake. And "dude" only works in a stoner voice.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 04 Mar 2019, 09:42

Bloke, fella, chap, even ‘geezer’ on occasion.
Cunt, often.
Guy, rarely.
Buddy, never.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."