Headphones advice

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Polishgirl

Headphones advice

Postby Polishgirl » 27 Feb 2019, 22:55

I currently have the earphones that came with my iPhone. I don’t often use them, but had a prolonged session with them at work today and JESUS, do they hurt my ears. :cry:

I don’t want to spend much on an alternative, given they won’t be used mega frequently, but something reasonably decent and comfortable would be good.

Any ideas?
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Positive Passion

Re: Headphones advice

Postby Positive Passion » 27 Feb 2019, 23:22

I have some Sennheiser ear phones - about £25. Had them for years

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 27 Feb 2019, 23:52

I recommend getting something that fits over the ear, not anything that insers into the ear canal. I am very sensitive to vibrations & using in-ears for any length of time, at any volume, causes me pain. And they should preferably be "noise cancelling" meaning you won't need to turn them up loud to drown out the background.

Finally I recommend not using them for more than half an hour without taking a silent break.

I used to practice my drums with a pair of in-ear phones cranked up to ten. I gave myself "sound trauma" and was advised to start wearing earplugs immediately. I had been in the studio a lot that month, and practicing a lot between sesssions.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 28 Feb 2019, 02:09

Hurt your ear how? Do they hurt on the ear or in the ear?

Believe me, drawerfuls of unwanted earphones can show I have tried a bunch of cheapo products. For my money, on the go, at the gym or lying in bed, I'm happiest with the cheapest Sony in-ear canal job @ $20. They're maybe the smallest profile in ear phones.

I tried bluetooth jobs and find that they run down my device battery too quickly so I'm a wire guy now.
Cold War Number One: 70 years of daily national stupidity. Cold War Number Two: Still in its youth, but just as stupid. - William Blum

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 28 Feb 2019, 08:20

I have used an earlier model of these for around 10 years without any problems

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-II- ... +earphones

They are in ear but fit far more comfortably than the iPhone headphones you have.
A kid swapping a fishing rod for a Dr. Feelgood album.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 28 Feb 2019, 09:57

I have a pair of wireless UrbanEars headphones that I got free with my phone (as an apology for the first phone they sent going missing in last year’s now-legendary Swedish Postal Crisis, which was nice).
They have solid sound quality - much better than iPhone earbuds - and do a decent job on noise cancelling. I think they cost about £30-40 on the high street. And their chunky retro pastel design is ideal for ’80s sounds!
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 28 Feb 2019, 10:13

I use SoundPEATS bluetooth earphones, comfortable and sound good. I only listen to podcasts with them:

https://www.amazon.com.au/SoundPEATS-Bl ... B079PQZ5PS
king of the divan

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 28 Feb 2019, 11:51

Thanks chaps- all very useful info. It’s the in ear ones/ buds that I struggle with- I think my ears must be so delightfully delicate and small. I quite like the idea of pastel chunkiness..
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 28 Feb 2019, 15:26

Are you sure it's not the music that's causing the pain?

I know, glass houses, and all that.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 28 Feb 2019, 16:20

I bought a pair of these for one of Robbi's friends, and she still uses them daily a year or so on , and says they are fantastic. And at £15 you cannot go wrong!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1
You don't like me...do you?

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 01 Mar 2019, 00:01

Darkness_Fish wrote:Are you sure it's not the music that's causing the pain?

:o