An Open Letter To The People Of The U.S. From President Nicolás Maduro

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Jimbo

An Open Letter To The People Of The U.S. From President Nicolás Maduro

Postby Jimbo » 12 Feb 2019, 14:47

February 10, 2019

If I know anything, it is about the people, because just like you, I am a man of the people. I was born and raised in a poor neighborhood of Caracas. I was forged in the heat of popular and union struggles in a Venezuela submerged in exclusion and inequality. I am no tycoon; I am a worker of mind and heart. Today I have the great privilege of presiding over the new Venezuela, rooted in a model of inclusive development and social equality, which Comandante Hugo Chávez forged starting in 1998, inspired by the legacy of Simón Bolivar.

We are living today in a historical crossroad. There are days that will define the future of our countries, giving us a choice between war and peace. Your national representatives of Washington want to bring to their borders the same hatred that they sowed in Vietnam. They want to invade and intervene in Venezuela — they say, as they said then — in the name of democracy and freedom. But this is false. Their history of the usurpation of power in Venezuela is as false as the weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. It is a false argument, but it can have dramatic consequences for our entire region.

Venezuela is a country that, by virtue of its 1999 Constitution, has broadly expanded the participatory and protagonist democracy of the people, and that in an unprecedented way so that today Venezuela is one of the countries that has held the largest number of elections in the last 20 years. You may not like our ideology or how our society looks, but we exist and we are millions.

I address these words to the people of the United States of America to warn of the gravity and danger that some sectors in the White House intend, that is, to invade Venezuela with unpredictable consequences for my country and for the entire American region. President Donald Trump also intends to disrupt the worthy initiatives to open a dialogue promoted by Uruguay and Mexico, with the support of CARICOM, for a peaceful solution and dialogue on behalf of Venezuela. We know that for the good of Venezuela we have to sit down and talk because to refuse to dialogue is to choose the path of force. Keep in mind the words of John F. Kennedy: “Let us never negotiate out of fear. But let us never fear to negotiate.” Those who do not want to dialogue, are they afraid of the truth?

The political intolerance toward the Venezuelan Bolivarian model and the desires for our immense oil resources, minerals and other great riches have prompted an international coalition headed by the U.S. government to commit the serious insanity of waging a military attack on Venezuela under the pretext of a nonexistent humanitarian crisis.

The people of Venezuela have painfully suffered social wounds caused by a criminal commercial and financial blockade, which has been aggravated by the dispossession and robbery of our financial resources and assets in countries aligned with this demented onslaught.

And yet, thanks to a new system of social protection, of direct attention to the most vulnerable sectors of our society, we proudly continue to be a country in the Americas with high human development index and low inequality.

The U.S. people must know that this complex multiform aggression is carried out with total impunity and in clear violation of the Charter of the United Nations, which expressly outlaws the threat or use of force, among other principles and purposes, for the sake of peace and friendly relations between nations.

We want to continue being business partners of the people of the United States, as we have been throughout our history. Their politicians in Washington, on the other hand, are willing to send their sons and daughters to die in an absurd war, instead of respecting the sacred right of the Venezuelan people to self-determination and to safeguard their sovereignty.

Like you, people of the United States, we Venezuelans are patriots. And we shall defend our homeland with all our soul. Today Venezuela is united in a single cry: We demand the cessation of the aggression that seeks to suffocate our economy and socially suffocate our people, as well as the cessation of the serious and dangerous threats of military intervention against Venezuela.

We appeal to the good soul of U.S. society, a victim of its own leaders, to join our call for peace. Let us be all one people against warmongering and war.

Long live the peoples of America!

Nicolás Maduro

President of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info
Cold War Number One: 70 years of daily national stupidity. Cold War Number Two: Still in its youth, but just as stupid. - William Blum

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Re: An Open Letter To The People Of The U.S. From President Nicolás Maduro

Postby Count Machuki » 12 Feb 2019, 15:11

Maduro's been using the USA as a boogieman since the Chavez days. That "blockade" and and trade policies there haven't done half as much damage as corruption in his own government, falling oil prices,hyperinflation, and ridiculously over-ambitious social programs designed to keep the elite in favor while they rob the country blind. Maduro should keep JFK's name out of his mouth.

I'm not big on war, at all, obviously. I'm not saying Venezuela needs to be another Vietnam. But there are people starving - you can't get food or diapers in shops. They're flooding into Colombia and while Colombia's been welcoming so far, I bet there's only so many refugees they can take. I'd be very surprised if we sent any troops to S. America.

That being said, I bet the CIA is really busy these days. And you know what, that might be OK. I don't buy that the elections that kept Maduro in power were legit in the first place, and if we can help save a country from the brink of total collapse then all the better. Sadly, we won't just help out and leave - we'll stick around to sack and pillage the place.

The whole situation's fucked, and I feel bad for the Venezuelan people.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 12 Feb 2019, 15:41

A toxic combination of Cuban influence, runaway corruption, the dismantling of democratic checks and balances, and sheer incompetence has kept Venezuela locked into catastrophic economic policies.

Or, you know, blame the USA. Whatevs.

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles ... as-suicide
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/foreign-affairs/
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 12 Feb 2019, 16:23

Feb, 12, 2019
Making Globalism Great Again
CJ Hopkins

Maybe Donald Trump isn’t as stupid as I thought. I’d hate to have to admit that publicly, but it does kind of seem like he has put one over on the liberal corporate media this time. Scanning the recent Trump-related news, I couldn’t help but notice a significant decline in the number of references to Weimar, Germany, Adolf Hitler, and “the brink of fascism” that America has supposedly been teetering on since Hillary Clinton lost the election.

I googled around pretty well, I think, but I couldn’t find a single editorial warning that Trump is about to summarily cancel the US Constitution, dissolve Congress, and proclaim himself Führer. Nor did I see any mention of Auschwitz, or any other Nazi stuff … which is weird, considering that the Hitler hysteria has been a standard feature of the official narrative we’ve been subjected to for the last two years.

So how did Trump finally get the liberal corporate media to stop calling him a fascist? He did that by acting like a fascist (i.e., like a “normal” president). Which is to say he did the bidding of the deep state goons and corporate mandarins that manage the global capitalist empire … the smiley, happy, democracy-spreading, post-fascist version of fascism we live under.

I’m referring, of course, to Venezuela, which is one of a handful of uncooperative countries that are not playing ball with global capitalism and which haven’t been “regime changed” yet. Trump green-lit the attempted coup purportedly being staged by the Venezuelan “opposition,” but which is obviously a US operation, or, rather, a global capitalist operation. As soon as he did, the corporate media immediately suspended calling him a fascist, and comparing him to Adolf Hitler, and so on, and started spewing out blatant propaganda supporting his effort to overthrow the elected government of a sovereign country.

Overthrowing the governments of sovereign countries, destroying their economies, stealing their gold, and otherwise bringing them into the fold of the global capitalist “international community” is not exactly what most folks thought Trump meant by “Make America Great Again.” Many Americans have never been to Venezuela, or Syria, or anywhere else the global capitalist empire has been ruthlessly restructuring since shortly after the end of the Cold War. They have not been lying awake at night worrying about Venezuelan democracy, or Syrian democracy, or Ukrainian democracy.

This is not because Americans are a heartless people, or an ignorant or a selfish people. It is because, well, it is because they are Americans (or, rather, because they believe they are Americans), and thus are more interested in the problems of Americans than in the problems of people in faraway lands that have nothing whatsoever to do with America.

Notwithstanding what the corporate media will tell you, Americans elected Donald Trump, a preposterous, self-aggrandizing ass clown, not because they were latent Nazis, or because they were brainwashed by Russian hackers, but, primarily, because they wanted to believe that he sincerely cared about America, and was going to try to “make it great again” (whatever that was supposed to mean, exactly).

Unfortunately, there is no America. There is nothing to make great again. “America” is a fiction, a fantasy, a nostalgia that hucksters like Donald Trump (and other, marginally less buffoonish hucksters) use to sell whatever they are selling … themselves, wars, cars, whatever. What there is, in reality, instead of America, is a supranational global capitalist empire, a decentralized, interdependent network of global corporations, financial institutions, national governments, intelligence agencies, supranational governmental entities, military forces, media, and so on. If that sounds far-fetched or conspiratorial, look at what is going on in Venezuela.

The entire global capitalist empire is working in concert to force the elected president of the country out of office. The US, the UK, Canada, France, Germany, Spain, Austria, Denmark, Poland, the Netherlands, Israel, Brazil, Peru, Chile, and Argentina have officially recognized Juan Guaido as the legitimate president of Venezuela, in spite of the fact that no one elected him. Only the empire’s official evil enemies (i.e., Russia, China, Iran, Syria, Cuba, and other uncooperative countries) are objecting to this “democratic” coup. The global financial system (i.e., banks) has frozen (i.e., stolen) Venezuela’s assets, and is attempting to transfer them to Guaido so he can buy the Venezuelan military. The corporate media are hammering out the official narrative like a Goebbelsian piano in an effort to convince the general public that all this has something to do with democracy. You would have to be a total moron or hopelessly brainwashed not to recognize what is happening.

What is happening has nothing to do with America … the “America” that Americans believe they live in and that many of them want to “make great again.” What is happening is exactly what has been happening around the world since the end of the Cold War, albeit most dramatically in the Middle East. The de facto global capitalist empire is restructuring the planet with virtual impunity. It is methodically eliminating any and all impediments to the hegemony of global capitalism, and the privatization and commodification of everything.

Venezuela is one of these impediments. Overthrowing its government has nothing to do with America, or the lives of actual Americans. “America” is not to going conquer Venezuela and plant an American flag on its soil. “America” is not going to steal its oil, ship it “home,” and parcel it out to “Americans” in their pickups in the parking lot of Walmart.

What about those American oil corporations? They want that Venezuelan oil, don’t they? Well, sure they do, but here’s the thing … there are no “American” oil corporations. Corporations, especially multi-billion dollar transnational corporations (e.g., Chevron, ExxonMobil, et al.) have no nationalities, nor any real allegiances, other than to their major shareholders. Chevron, for example, whose major shareholders are asset management and mutual fund companies like Black Rock, The Vanguard Group, SSgA Funds Management, Geode Capital Management, Wellington Management, and other transnational, multi-trillion dollar outfits. Do you really believe that being nominally headquartered in Boston or New York makes these companies “American,” or that Deutsche Bank is a “German” bank, or that BP is a “British” company?

And Venezuela is just the most recent blatant example of the empire in action. Ask yourself, honestly, what have the “American” regime change ops throughout the Greater Middle East done for any actual Americans, other than get a lot of them killed? Oh, and how about those bailouts for all those transnational “American” investment banks? Or the billions “America” provides to Israel? Someone please explain how enriching the shareholders of transnational corporations like Raytheon, Boeing, and Lockheed Martin by selling billions in weapons to Saudi Arabian Islamists is benefiting “the American people.” How much of that Saudi money are you seeing? And, wait, I’ve got another one for you. Call up your friendly 401K manager, ask how your Pfizer shares are doing, then compare that to what you’re paying some “American” insurance corporation to not really cover you.

For the last two-hundred years or so, we have been conditioned to think of ourselves as the citizens of a collection of sovereign nation states, as “Americans,” “Germans,” “Greeks,” and so on. There are no more sovereign nation states. Global capitalism has done away with them. Which is why we are experiencing a “neo-nationalist” backlash. Trump, Brexit, the so-called “new populism” … these are the death throes of national sovereignty, like the thrashing of a suffocating fish before you whack it and drop it in the cooler. The battle is over, but the fish doesn’t know that. It didn’t even realize there was a battle until it suddenly got jerked up out of the water.

In any event, here we are, at the advent of the global capitalist empire. We are not going back to the 19th Century, nor even to the early 20th Century. Neither Donald Trump nor anyone else is going to “Make America Great Again.” Global capitalism will continue to remake the world into one gigantic marketplace where we work ourselves to death at bullshit jobs in order to buy things we don’t need, accumulating debts we can never pay back, the interest on which will further enrich the global capitalist ruling classes, who, as you may have noticed, are preparing for the future by purchasing luxury underground bunkers and post-apocalyptic compounds in New Zealand. That, and militarizing the police, who they will need to maintain “public order” … you know, like they are doing in France at the moment, by beating, blinding, and hideously maiming those Gilets Jaunes (i.e., Yellow Vest) protesters that the corporate media are doing their best to demonize and/or render invisible.

Or, who knows, Americans (and other Western consumers) might take a page from those Yellow Vests, set aside their political differences (or at least ignore their hatred of each other long enough to actually try to achieve something), and focus their anger at the politicians and corporations that actually run the empire, as opposed to, you know, illegal immigrants and imaginary legions of Nazis and Russians. In the immortal words of General Buck Turgidson, “I’m not saying we wouldn’t get our hair mussed,” but, heck, it might be worth a try, especially since, the way things are going, we are probably going end up out there anyway.

https://off-guardian.org/2019/02/12/mak ... eat-again/
Cold War Number One: 70 years of daily national stupidity. Cold War Number Two: Still in its youth, but just as stupid. - William Blum

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 12 Feb 2019, 16:35

That "article" is all the fuck over the place.

Your response to everything is "Well, global capitalism!"

To that I say, "OK!"

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 13 Feb 2019, 04:28

Count Machuki wrote:
A toxic combination of Cuban influence, runaway corruption, the dismantling of democratic checks and balances, and sheer incompetence has kept Venezuela locked into catastrophic economic policies.

I read the article and it makes Venezuela look like a violence ridden cesspit of corruption run by a tinpot dictator. On the other hand - unreported by Foreign Affairs - is this: "millions" of Venezuelans lined up to sign a letter supporting Maduro and supporting their country.

It's all about the narrative, the hype, the line you are fed, what you are told to believe vs. what good reporters and a video camera can show you.

https://grayzoneproject.com/2019/02/11/ ... r-country/

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 13 Feb 2019, 15:33

Jimbo wrote:
Count Machuki wrote:

I read the article and it makes Venezuela look like a violence ridden cesspit of corruption run by a tinpot dictator. On the other hand - unreported by Foreign Affairs - is this: "millions" of Venezuelans lined up to sign a letter supporting Maduro and supporting their country.

It's all about the narrative, the hype, the line you are fed, what you are told to believe vs. what good reporters and a video camera can show you.

Alternately, it's about the number of Venezuelan folks that I know through my wife who are telling me that Venezuela is a violence ridden cesspit of corruption run by a tinpot dictator.

But they're probably just in the pocket of the big multinational corporations, right? That's why they're working as seamstresses, child care workers, and laborers in a foreign country away from their families.

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 13 Feb 2019, 17:11

Crisis actors strike again!
Pretty clever fuckers if they fooled you and your wife.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 13 Feb 2019, 17:19

Count Machuki wrote:
Alternately, it's about the number of Venezuelan folks that I know through my wife who are telling me that Venezuela is a violence ridden cesspit of corruption run by a tinpot dictator.

But they're probably just in the pocket of the big multinational corporations, right? That's why they're working as seamstresses, child care workers, and laborers in a foreign country away from their families.

You make a good point but I see it as a sociological/political problem that should be handled by the Venezuelans themselves. Does the US not have similar crime and poverty problems? No matter where they're thorny. But, if you or anyone else thinks any US intervention will help those seamstresses, etc., here is what John Bolton has said about US involvement.

“We’re looking at the oil assets,” Bolton said. “That’s the single most important income stream to the government of Venezuela. We’re looking at what to do to that.”

“We’re in conversation with major American companies now,” he continued. “I think we’re trying to get to the same end result here.”

“It will make a big difference to the United States economically if we could have American oil companies really invest in and produce the oil capabilities in Venezuela ,,,”

Putting aside the probable corruption, ideally Venezuela wants to control its own resources in order to redistribute the wealth it brings to help all Venezuelans. And no matter where, the US is ready to stomp out that kind of thinking, that kind of socialistic governance.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 13 Feb 2019, 17:25

Jimbo wrote:Does the US not have similar crime and poverty problems?

No.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 13 Feb 2019, 18:05

I blame Russia!
Charlie O. wrote:You guys are killing my buzz!

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 13 Feb 2019, 19:47

Jimbo wrote:And no matter where, the US is ready to stomp out that kind of thinking, that kind of socialistic governance.

God bless our troops in Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Ecuador, Nicaragua, Uruguay, Guyana, Bolivia, Barbados, El Salvador, Mexico, St. Vincent, and Suriname. Keep stompin' boys!

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 13 Feb 2019, 19:48

Sneelock wrote:I blame Russia!

Way to start WWIII, SNEELOCK! :x

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 13 Feb 2019, 20:46

:lol: We all need our little hobbies.

I think appointing Elliot Fucking Abrams to call the shots over there is all we need to know about what our intentions are.
Charlie O. wrote:You guys are killing my buzz!

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 13 Feb 2019, 21:21

Sneelock wrote:
I think appointing Elliot Fucking Abrams to call the shots over there is all we need to know about what our intentions are.

He seems like a real piece of work.

I'm here reading his C.V. thinking I might want to reexamine my nice list up top there. No, fuck it, those are all countries that currently right now are officially socialist or governed by majority socialist (of some flavor) governments.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 13 Feb 2019, 21:58

Count Machuki wrote:
Jimbo wrote:And no matter where, the US is ready to stomp out that kind of thinking, that kind of socialistic governance.

God bless our troops in Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Ecuador, Nicaragua, Uruguay, Guyana, Bolivia, Barbados, El Salvador, Mexico, St. Vincent, and Suriname. Keep stompin' boys!

You child. You obviously know nothing about US meddling (to use the mildest term) in South America.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 13 Feb 2019, 22:01

Jimbo wrote:
Count Machuki wrote:

You child. You obviously know nothing about US meddling (to use the mildest term) in South America.

You geezer. Your idea of current affairs is 25+ years outdated.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 13 Feb 2019, 22:27

Count Machuki wrote:
Jimbo wrote:
Count Machuki wrote:

You geezer. Your idea of current affairs is 25+ years outdated.

Nicaragua June 19, 2018
US Gov. Meddling Machine Boasts of ‘Laying the Groundwork for Insurrection’ in Nicaragua

As Nicaraguan student protest leaders meet with neoconservatives in Washington, DC, a publication funded by the US government’s regime change arm, the National Endowment for Democracy (NED), boasts of spending millions of dollars “laying the groundwork for insurrection” against Daniel Ortega

https://grayzoneproject.com/2018/06/19/ ... overnment/

Human Rights Watch, While Hawkish on Venezuela, Is Quiet on Violent Repression and Apparent Coup in Honduras

Honduras’ US-backed right-wing government has been accused of stealing the election, but Kenneth Roth of Human Rights Watch (HRW) is fixated on Venezuela.

United States involvement in regime change in Latin America

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_St ... in_America

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 13 Feb 2019, 22:28

God bless our troops in Bangladesh, India, Nepal, Portugal, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Angola, Congo, Ethiopia, Guinea, Greece, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, St. Vincent, and Zambia. Keep stompin' boys!

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 13 Feb 2019, 22:30

Grayzone project sure seems awful keen on Russia, by the way.

Your other stuff is pretty weak tea, man. Project Condor (ostensibly) ended decades ago, granddad.