Do we need to talk about Liam ?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Samoan

Do we need to talk about Liam ?

Postby Samoan » 06 Feb 2019, 13:04

Liam Neeson film's red carpet event cancelled amid racism row.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47138980
Deebank wrote: I get most excited about a decent salad bar.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: Do we need to talk about Liam ?

Postby Diamond Dog » 06 Feb 2019, 13:18

Samoan wrote:Liam Neeson film's red carpet event cancelled amid racism row.

Samoan wrote:Yes.

We Know.

We all read and/or listen to the news in it's various formats and sources of choice.

I'm truly at a loss to know why you persistently and regularly do this as if you're coming out with some entirely novel and profound analytical insight into the whole sorry debacle.
"Excuse my dust."
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits "
"It put me back in my place and made me realize, yes I'm just a cunt in a clown suit."

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 06 Feb 2019, 14:07

Diamond Dog wrote:

Evidently not.
Deebank wrote: I get most excited about a decent salad bar.

caramba

Postby caramba » 06 Feb 2019, 14:39

Does this mean we can no longer watch Schindler's List?

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 06 Feb 2019, 17:38

Is it any good?
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 06 Feb 2019, 21:24

John Barnes has got it right.

Well, apart from the “deserves a medal” bit which is a bit OTT.

The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony

Postby The Prof » 07 Feb 2019, 10:29

I wonder if the perpetrator in the story had been a Protestant wether that would have made a difference? It would then have been the story of and angry man on some kind of simplistic 'revenge' attack.
Or is the outrage because one of the first questions he asked is to do with the colour of the rapist's skin? Seemingly it was a black man.
Maybe there was a sizeable black community in the city he was living in in the 70's 80's when this happened. Maybe there wasn't.

I dunno, I wouldn't be surprised in the next few weeks if he admits he made the whole thing up just appear to act tough.

Robert

Postby Robert » 07 Feb 2019, 10:43

Diamond Dog wrote:

Samoan wrote:Yes.

We Know.

We all read and/or listen to the news in it's various formats and sources of choice.

I'm truly at a loss to know why you persistently and regularly do this as if you're coming out with some entirely novel and profound analytical insight into the whole sorry debacle.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony

Postby The Prof » 07 Feb 2019, 10:48

Pete's been waiting for that. He's had it copied+pasted to his clipboard for weeks, waiting for the right time to pounce!

caramba

Postby caramba » 07 Feb 2019, 11:31

Hope Neeson doesn't run into the woman from Bath who tweeted that, having recently squandered £12 on a ticket for an LN-type movie
at her local multiplex, she's now combing the streets in the hopes of finding an action movie hero she can dismember.

Whether LN is or isn't a racist, his remarks were stupid in the extreme given that so many people now take offence at the slightest thing.

Wonder if his career will recover or, that he'll be "whitewashed" out of future releases a la Kevin Spacey - as many keyboard warrior types are now urging.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 07 Feb 2019, 12:03

I feel sorry for the guy. It shows extraordinary naivety but also refreshing candour to admit to something like that. Of course the social media outrage vultures and thought police will demand their penance which is kinda funny considering Neeson was talking about the putrid, futile ugliness of vengeance but there you go. I hope it doesn’t end his career.

Whenever you try talk about prejudice, especially your own (past or present) or those dark, troubling thoughts that cross your brain from time to time and remind us that there is all this weird, ugly, crazy shit swimming around your subconscious that occasionally pops up and yells, “Hiya!!,” you can see people shutting down instantly in my experience. The social mask cannot and will not be penetrated. “I’m not prejudiced!” “Oh I never think anything like that”.

It’s funny but also sad and understandable I guess. It’s like a taboo to acknowledge these things so I like to push it with people occasionally because I’m a bit of cunt. One time at work I remarked how I briefly contemplated eating some dog shit I saw on the pavement. One of those thoughts that just pops into your head like, “Christ, imagine if I just picked it up and popped it in there…”. People were horrified. “Oh I never think anything like that!” etc. What? Never? A common one is the stepping in front of a bus or walking off a railway platform. I could really easily kill myself here!!

Please.

It’s being human. At times like this I wish some people would recognise this rather than recoil in horror and pass judgement. Sure his reaction was racist and ugly but he learned from it, as you do in life hopefully and move on with that insight embedded.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 07 Feb 2019, 12:18

Good post if I may be so bold.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 07 Feb 2019, 12:31

Lord Rother wrote:Good post if I may be so bold.

Cheers ya uptight bald cunt

;)
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 07 Feb 2019, 12:41

:lol:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 07 Feb 2019, 13:00

Goat Boy wrote:I feel sorry for the guy. It shows extraordinary naivety but also refreshing candour to admit to something like that. Of course the social media outrage vultures and thought police will demand their penance which is kinda funny considering Neeson was talking about the putrid, futile ugliness of vengeance but there you go. I hope it doesn’t end his career.

Whenever you try talk about prejudice, especially your own (past or present) or those dark, troubling thoughts that cross your brain from time to time and remind us that there is all this weird, ugly, crazy shit swimming around your subconscious that occasionally pops up and yells, “Hiya!!,” you can see people shutting down instantly in my experience. The social mask cannot and will not be penetrated. “I’m not prejudiced!” “Oh I never think anything like that”.

It’s funny but also sad and understandable I guess. It’s like a taboo to acknowledge these things so I like to push it with people occasionally because I’m a bit of cunt. One time at work I remarked how I briefly contemplated eating some dog shit I saw on the pavement. One of those thoughts that just pops into your head like, “Christ, imagine if I just picked it up and popped it in there…”. People were horrified. “Oh I never think anything like that!” etc. What? Never? A common one is the stepping in front of a bus or walking off a railway platform. I could really easily kill myself here!!

Please.

It’s being human. At times like this I wish some people would recognise this rather than recoil in horror and pass judgement. Sure his reaction was racist and ugly but he learned from it, as you do in life hopefully and move on with that insight embedded.

I had a really good friend who years ago told me that whenever they saw a pregnant woman they would think about kicking them in the stomach. After choking on my beer a bit we talked about it and we went hither and yon about where these thoughts might have come from. It was a genuinely fascinating if vaguely unsettling conversation but they were glad they had told someone (of course they would never have done it.)
I do sometimes think of if we had had that conversation today, someone overheard it, took pic, posted it, uproar, thought police.

Not sure how relevant my story is, but still.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 07 Feb 2019, 13:13

Sometimes if I see a person in a wheel chair I think how fucked up it would be to just tip them out on the street!

Or kick a crutch away from somebody just out of badness.

Splat!

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 08 Feb 2019, 09:09

Goat Boy wrote:Or kick a crutch away from somebody just out of badness.

If the thought wasn't bad enough, imagine the shame if your kick was too lame to kick the crutch away. That's the only reason I don't do it regularly.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

caramba

Postby caramba » 08 Feb 2019, 09:16

A few years ago, I was on crutches and sometimes used to give any fully-able person stupid* enough to get in my way a good hard crack on the shin

* and sufficiently weedy enough

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 08 Feb 2019, 09:18

Goat Boy wrote:Sometimes if I see a person in a wheel chair I think how fucked up it would be to just tip them out on the street!

Or kick a crutch away from somebody just out of badness.

Splat!

Now I know the origination of your name (I honestly hadn't a clue) it all falls into place....it's very much like Hicks' 'stream of consciousness' "jokes".
"Excuse my dust."
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits "
"It put me back in my place and made me realize, yes I'm just a cunt in a clown suit."

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 08 Feb 2019, 09:39

Did you wake up in a mood, DD?

One can only imagine all the thoughts and prejudices you have my angry friend but if it makes you feel any better all those thoughts and prejudices you have are perfectly normal but that doesn't mean you can't work on the latter of course.

Take care, Pete and remember, we all love you

x