RIPJeremy Hardy

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Deebank
Resonator

RIPJeremy Hardy

Postby Deebank » 01 Feb 2019, 14:31

I didn't even know he was ill. :(

Always a treat when he was on The News Quiz - in fact pretty great in everything he was involved with.

RIP
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Re: RIPJeremy Hardy

Postby yomptepi » 01 Feb 2019, 14:42

I never liked him. The very smuggest of the metropolitan elite. Happily ensconced in the London Labour bubble, making in jokes with his Corbynite mates as if anyone who wasn't on board with the project was stupid. I always turned the radio off when he came on.

Very sad to see a father and husband die so young though. Life is not fair.
You don't like me...do you?

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 01 Feb 2019, 15:09

I loved him, even though I’m not part of the metropolitan elite, the London Labour bubble, or even a Corbynite. He was genuinely funny, quick-witted and compassionate. He slayed it on radio comedy, and was hilarious on stage.

In a world where ‘ Mrs Brown’s Boys ‘ is lauded, comedians like Hardy are much-needed. He will be sorely missed.

Cancer took Jeremy Hardy, Victoria Wood and my dad. It can go fuck itself.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 01 Feb 2019, 15:48

Polishgirl wrote:I loved him, even though I’m not part of the metropolitan elite, the London Labour bubble, or even a Corbynite. He was genuinely funny, quick-witted and compassionate. He slayed it on radio comedy, and was hilarious on stage.

In a world where ‘ Mrs Brown’s Boys ‘ is lauded, comedians like Hardy are much-needed. He will be sorely missed.

Cancer took Jeremy Hardy, Victoria Wood and my dad. It can go fuck itself.

Yes, much better said than anything I could have posted.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 01 Feb 2019, 18:46

Very sad indeed.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

borofan

Postby borofan » 01 Feb 2019, 19:06

yomptepi wrote:I never liked him. The very smuggest of the metropolitan elite. Happily ensconced in the London Labour bubble, making in jokes with his Corbynite mates as if anyone who wasn't on board with the project was stupid. I always turned the radio off when he came on.

You never liked him. There's a surprise... Your description of him is so utterly wrong it is laughable. Your problem with him is, of course, that his worldview was different from your own.
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 01 Feb 2019, 19:35

borofan wrote:
yomptepi wrote:I never liked him. The very smuggest of the metropolitan elite. Happily ensconced in the London Labour bubble, making in jokes with his Corbynite mates as if anyone who wasn't on board with the project was stupid. I always turned the radio off when he came on.

You never liked him. There's a surprise... Your description of him is so utterly wrong it is laughable. Your problem with him is, of course, that his worldview was different from your own.

I don't care about his world view. It was his smug patronising tone that pissed me off. You wouldn't understand of course.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 01 Feb 2019, 20:11

borofan wrote:

Yes his humour was as far from smug as you can get really, totally self effacing.

If it’s not Thatcher, Hague or some other disgraced corrupt former Tory grandee I think we can assume Yomp hates them whoever it is.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 01 Feb 2019, 20:34

I am not going to get dragged into some nasty exchange over this. He was not to my taste, and it had nothing to do with his politics. Have you even heard the News Quiz? Certainly during Sandy Toksvig's chairmanship it was unbearably smug. They were so pleased with themselves it made me ill.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 01 Feb 2019, 20:53

Let’s not do this.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 01 Feb 2019, 22:45

It seems wrong that the news quiz even exists without Linda Smith and Jeremy Hardy. Two funny, passionate people taken far too young.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony

Postby The Prof » 02 Feb 2019, 01:39

What he believed in and what he championed was just common sense.
RIP

borofan

Postby borofan » 02 Feb 2019, 16:44

yomptepi wrote:
borofan wrote:

I don't care about his world view. It was his smug patronising tone that pissed me off. You wouldn't understand of course.

Ah, the patronising reply to a valid comment. Entirely typical. No need for the final sentence, but you just can't help yourself, can you...
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 03 Feb 2019, 02:35

The clips they showed on his obit on the news just reminded me how unfunny he was. He did seem a nice enough guy though.