RIP Prez

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
trans-chigley express

Re: RIP Prez

Postby trans-chigley express » 31 Jan 2019, 23:48

C wrote:Ottway and Barrett have lost their greatest fan.

When I met him he spoke at some length and no little enthusiasm on the merits of Otway claiming he was a far superior songwriter than Andy Partridge (he knew I was a big fan) and promised to send me something. I was expecting a little sampler but received a parcel full of Otway CDRs. I listened to them and gave him feedback but hadn’t the heart to tell him he was completely wrong about Otway’s superiority to Partridge :D

I will play some of his Otway CDs today in honour of the sweet and generous little guy.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 01 Feb 2019, 04:31

trans-chigley express wrote:
C wrote:Ottway and Barrett have lost their greatest fan.

When I met him he spoke at some length and no little enthusiasm on the merits of Otway claiming he was a far superior songwriter than Andy Partridge (he knew I was a big fan) and promised to send me something. I was expecting a little sampler but received a parcel full of Otway CDRs. I listened to them and gave him feedback but hadn’t the heart to tell him he was completely wrong about Otway’s superiority to Partridge :D

I will play some of his Otway CDs today in honour of the sweet and generous little guy.

I got a complete Searchers mp3 set from him.
But for me that symbolises not just a generosity of music sharing, but a large generosity of spirit, which is the main thing I associated Matt with.
I also want to add my appreciation of Pete's post, which said so much of what needed to be said.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 01 Feb 2019, 08:26

Horrible news: one of the small handful of BCBers I had met in person, he seemed such a genuine, friendly and positive person.
Some very touching tributes here.

RIP, Matt.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 01 Feb 2019, 11:40

Matt's story about his coming out and being shunned by his family was terribly sad. I didn't know him that well, but he was always chipper and friendly at Jollys.

Lovely tribute by Pete.

The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony

Postby The Prof » 01 Feb 2019, 12:00

the masked man wrote:I can' make sense of this at all. Prez seemed so full of life last time I saw him. So sorry it ended like this.

I feel the same. Everytime we met we seemed to have this argument/discussion about wether The Undertones should carry on without Fergal Sharkey. It remains unresolved.
RIP Matt.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 01 Feb 2019, 15:57

Goat Boy wrote:Rest in music Prez

That’s very much how I feel whenever we lose a BCBer.
RIP Prez. All thoughts to his family for the time ahead.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 01 Feb 2019, 21:14

Prez exasperated the shit out of me with his unequivocal pronouncements of generally poor/incorrect taste and opinions, but it got boring to fight about these things so I stopped engaging him in recent years when he would pronounce how crap or overrated some obviously great movie or band was. The thing is, I believe that he didn't give a shit about what I had to say, or anyone else, really. He just wanted to champion what he thought was great. And that's part of what I really liked about him---his exuberance and relentless positive attitude about his life and his loves (misplaced though it may have been). ;)

It was really nice to see him on FB on his move to Liverpool and his adoption of the city as his. The eagerness to take any sign, no matter how slight or apparently inconsequential, as vindication that he was where he needed to be was endearing. It's outrageous that he is gone all of a sudden, but he seems to have run out his days going full steam ahead.

When I met him at a JU in London, the main thing I remember from our conversation was his profound concern that I master the correct application of salt and vinegar to fish and/or chips. Prez was adamant that it was crucial to the order of the universe that the vinegar had to go before the salt so it did not wash the salt off the food. I think of him every time I do this . And hopefully, in the future, we'll all carry something of his indefatigable spirit, crashing through every day with the utmost energy and enthusiasm for whatever awaits around the corner. I hope the friends and family he leaves behind find peace. It’s shocking to have someone go so suddenly, apparently almost out of nowhere.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Chelsea97

Postby Chelsea97 » 02 Feb 2019, 13:32

Whilst being Prez, a postman, a friend, a Justin Bieber lover, an advocate for the correct application of condiments. Most importantly Matthew Doherty was a grandfather, a husband and a father. A father who wasn't shunned, a man not judged or defined by a sexual preference, but a parent involved in a conflict that was resolved in time. A conflict easily forgotten, which in life and his passing does not define the relationship shared with his family. His greatest achievement was and always will be bringing up two young ladies, 21 and 26, who are currently channeling the devastation that comes with losing the man you all know and love and everything else he was and didn't share in the virtual world here. We are his greatest achievements because he needed no excuse to tell us and any one else who would listen. Whilst we sat there with him last week laughing and sharing all the love he taught us to have, nothing else mattered and now never will. So please share your stories, have that uncontrollable smile when you think of him, but remember whilst you're grieving for Prez, two young ladies are grieving for their Dad. Two young children will now be hearing stories of Grandad and not stories told by their Grandad. This is my families reality, I can't thank those enough who have contacted us or shared words of comfort, the words our father would have been proud to read.

Shagger Dave
connecticut hermit

Postby Shagger Dave » 02 Feb 2019, 14:30

He seemed so happy on FB with his move, and was so positive about the direction his life was going. . . I never had the opportunity to meet him face to face, only through here and FB. He seemed so larger than life in his zest for what he loved. I'll miss seeing his enthusiasm. My love to his family.
He tries.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 02 Feb 2019, 14:39

Chelsea97 wrote:Whilst being Prez, a postman, a friend, a Justin Bieber lover, an advocate for the correct application of condiments. Most importantly Matthew Doherty was a grandfather, a husband and a father. A father who wasn't shunned, a man not judged or defined by a sexual preference, but a parent involved in a conflict that was resolved in time. A conflict easily forgotten, which in life and his passing does not define the relationship shared with his family. His greatest achievement was and always will be bringing up two young ladies, 21 and 26, who are currently channeling the devastation that comes with losing the man you all know and love and everything else he was and didn't share in the virtual world here. We are his greatest achievements because he needed no excuse to tell us and any one else who would listen. Whilst we sat there with him last week laughing and sharing all the love he taught us to have, nothing else mattered and now never will. So please share your stories, have that uncontrollable smile when you think of him, but remember whilst you're grieving for Prez, two young ladies are grieving for their Dad. Two young children will now be hearing stories of Grandad and not stories told by their Grandad. This is my families reality, I can't thank those enough who have contacted us or shared words of comfort, the words our father would have been proud to read.

Thanks for taking the time to post this at such a difficult time in your lives.
All the best thoughts to you.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Powehi

Postby Powehi » 02 Feb 2019, 16:01

Never met, Prez, but reading some of the genuinely moving tributes and recollections above I rather wish I had

RIP.

Jock

Postby Jock » 02 Feb 2019, 17:14

Sad, sad news. Only met Prez the one time, but never to be forgotten. Rest in Peace wee pal.
Always Cheated Never Defeated

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 02 Feb 2019, 17:18

He was my daft little mate and I loved him.
His absence will be palpable whenever we meet from now on.
My sincere condolences to you Chelsea and to Ashley too.

There is a light that never goes out.
It lives in his smile and that daft chuckle of his.
The Complete AC/DC Mp3 set now available in the usual place, should you want one.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 02 Feb 2019, 17:30

I should really like the opportunity to pay my last respects to him, Chelsea.
If there are funeral details I'd very much like to attend.
The Complete AC/DC Mp3 set now available in the usual place, should you want one.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 02 Feb 2019, 18:28

r.i.p. prez.

sending love to his family and friends.

thanks everyone for sharing these messages.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 02 Feb 2019, 18:47

Minnie the Minx wrote:

Absolutely this. Please accept my condolences. My thoughts have been, and will be, with you all.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 02 Feb 2019, 21:38

Hugh wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:

Absolutely this. Please accept my condolences. My thoughts have been, and will be, with you all.

Yes! My condolences too!

He was our (online) pal, but aren't we all, first and foremost, part of our family?
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 03 Feb 2019, 20:44

Oh my God. Only just seen this. What a bolt from the blue. As has been said he could be "wrong" about much , but we didn't care one jot. The bottom line was he was one loveley guy and a pleasure to be with always. Rest easy Matt, we'll all miss you.
We're way past rhubarb

Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope

Postby Corporate whore » 04 Feb 2019, 23:21

I played a bootleg of Van Morrison swearing a lot in Matts memory today. It seemed somehow appropriate.

R.I.P. mate.

The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony

Postby The Prof » 05 Feb 2019, 11:07

Jane has asked me to put this on here.

https://www.gofundme.com/in-the-name-of-matthew-doherty

Want to join me in making a difference? I'm raising money for Church Homeless Trust in Liverpool.
A friend, Matthew Doherty, moved to Liverpool recently and embraced it with all his heart. He was especially concerned about the plight of the homeless in the city and did as much as he could to help them and to bring it to the attention of us, his friends and indeed everyone.
Sadly Matthew died on Tuesday 29th January, of pneumonia in the city he had grown to love. I know he would want a legacy that cared for the homeless as much as he did, so please join me in reaching our target of £500 in his name