Postby John_K » 31 Jan 2019, 10:20

Sad news...

RIP

The Dríver
Hippy Replacement

Re: RIP Prez

Postby The Dríver » 31 Jan 2019, 10:47

That's a beautiful tribute, Pete.
He's a simpleton. 200 years ago they wouldn't have let him milk a cow.

C
Robust

Postby C » 31 Jan 2019, 11:18

Well said Pete

Nancy wrote:I bet the amps in Heaven go to 12.

John aka Josh wrote:OOOOOOOF

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 31 Jan 2019, 12:28

That made me more than a little misty-eyed, Pete.

I met Matt twice. One, just the two of us, in a lovely little pub just off Holland Park a couple of weeks before Christmas in, I think, 2006. The second time was a hastily convened mini-jolly in The Queen’s Arms for one of my London work visits. Both times, I was bowled over by his sense of fun and sheer enthusiasm and I was incredibly grateful that he had taken the time to travel from Aylesbury to see me.

It made me really happy to see that he was loving his new life in Liverpool and I’m glad that he was at that point in his life even if it makes all the more tragic that he didn’t get to follow through on all the opportunities that were opening up for him. The first time we met, we enthused over Willie Nelson's version of Bring Me Sunshine which had recently been used in a commercial. It’s a song that sums him up perfectly - I can’t think of him without smiling.

He is going to be greatly missed but I can't help but feel that whenever a couple of BCBers get together, he won’t be far away.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 31 Jan 2019, 12:42

Rest in music Prez
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 31 Jan 2019, 13:15

So sorry to hear about this. I knew he was ill and that it was serious, but was still expecting him to pull through. I never met him but from everything i know from on here and elsewhere he seemed like such a great person and someone I really wish I had gotten to know. RIP.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

joels344

Postby joels344 » 31 Jan 2019, 13:16

That's some crushing news. RIP Matt.

Purgatory Brite

Postby Purgatory Brite » 31 Jan 2019, 13:42

Terrible, terrible news. Through Facebook I'd heard he was unwell and had been hospitalized. I was unaware of the background of his move up to Liverpool. It is tragic that his health failed in a turbulent period in his life. I will remember him fondly.

RIP Matt.

Robert

Postby Robert » 31 Jan 2019, 14:25

That's terrible news.

I only met him once on a JU in London where we got along great bonded by our Clash fandom. The next day he even wrote on Facebook he had met the 'real ' Jimmy Jazz.

We had a bit of contact on this board and on Facebook but that stopped when I left FB about 1,5 years ago and I didn't really see him post much here either. He was a brave guy for taking the turn in life that he did, embarrassing as it was from time to time seeing his admiration for Justin Bieber go out of control :)

Remember that time he proudly posted pictures of his Justin Bieber bed sheet ??

Happy to hear he got in touch with his kids again.

Hope there's walking football up there!

RIP Matt!

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 31 Jan 2019, 14:45

God, what a shame. RIP, Prez.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 31 Jan 2019, 15:47

I can' make sense of this at all. Prez seemed so full of life last time I saw him. So sorry it ended like this.

Rest easy, little guy....

Six String

Postby Six String » 31 Jan 2019, 16:37

Well this is shocking news to start the day. :( Lovely post Pete. I was so happy when Matt felt comfortable coming out on this board as I'm sure ot wasn't easy. I think deep down he knew people would respond positively. I never met him but I know he was always smiling in the JU pics that were posted here.

RIP Matt. You will be missed.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 31 Jan 2019, 16:37

Diamond Dog wrote:Obviously, like everyone, I'm still coming to terms with this.

I had a different relationship with Matt than others in many ways, because he worked for Royal Mail for 25+ years, just down the road from me in Aylesbury. When he took his first tentative (and ultimately aborted) steps into management, I coached him through the selection/interview process and gave him advice throughout his time with the company. Indeed, our last chat with just us two together was at a JU a couple of years back, where we spent the first thirty minutes discussing Royal Mail (which he had by then left) and how 'envious' he was that I was coming up to my 30 years service...he was still essentially a Royal Mail employee at heart. He also during that time discussed his recent 'coming out'.... he was absolutely petrified of how I, and others, would react to that. I just said that it mattered not a single jot to me and that I was just glad he'd had the courage to live his life as he wanted to, and I was absolutely certain everyone on BCB (at least) felt exactly the same way. I think he took great heart in that - so when people say "It's not real" etc I beg to differ ; I think we did have a big influence on him at that time. I also remember how terribly pained he was by the breakdown in his relationship with his kids at that time - the poor guy was in absolute turmoil. I'm glad it seems that that was resolved before his passing.

As a person I'll always remember Matt as a really happy guy, who enjoyed the laughing and joking (and piss taking) of BCB as much as anyone. I know he was the same outside of that circle via his Royal Mail connections. A funny guy, who loved his football (Chelsea, sadly) and music (The Searchers, even more sadly).... he joined in fully with the BCB halcyon days and loved that sense of community.

It's such a shock - I really can't believe the little guy has gone. As a testament to him, I'd just like to say he lightened the life of everyone who knew him and provided much needed love and care to all. I'll miss you Matt - RIP mate.

Beautifully put
Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Fuck Off

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

martha
rambling rose

Postby martha » 31 Jan 2019, 17:01

I was really devastated yesterday because I was expecting him to pull through I really was. It's so hard to realize that someone so bubbly and full of life and excitement and joy could be gone so quickly. Prez and I have always gotten along on here pretty much. when he decided to come out he talked to me about it because I'm pretty open about my sexuality and I'm the voice that usually chirps up for trans rights and things like that over on Facebook. He had a terrible time with acceptance in his family. I was so happy to see the level of acceptance people showed him here because you know I love everyone on here more or less but I had always thought of this place as pretty homophobic really. The more out there he got the happier he became. Being true to yourself and living authentically as yourself is so important in life. Nothing good is gained from hiding.

I'm really gutted I mean... I literally spent all day yesterday crying. I was home with the flu and feeling weepy anyway and it just wouldn't stop. I've started again but it doesn't feel the same.

I was really surprised by my husband Jeff because he's kind of an oblivious asshat as you all know, but when he got home and saw my face he just asked me what was wrong and I told him and after I said it was somebody on BCB, I sort of half expected him to tell me I was being an over-emotional idiot. But instead he said, "I'm sorry, you've been friends with those guys for almost 20 years right? That's a long time to be friends with people you've never seen in person. You should get a passport... Boston is a lot closer to the UK than anywhere else we've ever lived."

I wish I had been able to meet Prez. He and I would have got along really well I'm sure.... I don't have to have met him to know that because he was hysterical online, over the phone and in p.m.s and emails. I really loved him. And I will miss him on here and especially on Facebook.
--m.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 31 Jan 2019, 17:35

What a shame - he seemed like a genuinely nice bloke.

RIP
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 31 Jan 2019, 17:55

I'm really lost for words. It's really hard to believe he's gone. I only met him a few times and didn't really know him all that well but he every time we talked he was always good humored and smiling. So incredibly sad.

RIP
I run out of talent

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 31 Jan 2019, 18:24

Can't add much to what's already been said, particularly in Pete's eloquent post. He was one of us. And the fact that we were all very supportive of him during a period of intense soul-seeking proves what I've said all along - when all the drama fades away, we can actually see ourselves as the supportive group that we are. Because however we may fight about music, football, etc., when it really matters we have always been there for each other. I think he felt that. I certainly hope he did.

It is heartbreaking to me that he didn't get to live a longer life being true to himself. It wasn't an easy journey for him, but it was a brave one. And it was the right one.
Jimbo wrote:My point is to save the world from WWIII.

Jimbo wrote:Trump is right. The collusion conspiracy theory has been debunked and you seem to refuse to look at the evidence.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017 2018!!

Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope

Postby Corporate whore » 31 Jan 2019, 22:32

Diamond Dog wrote:Obviously, like everyone, I'm still coming to terms with this.

I had a different relationship with Matt than others in many ways, because he worked for Royal Mail for 25+ years, just down the road from me in Aylesbury. When he took his first tentative (and ultimately aborted) steps into management, I coached him through the selection/interview process and gave him advice throughout his time with the company. Indeed, our last chat with just us two together was at a JU a couple of years back, where we spent the first thirty minutes discussing Royal Mail (which he had by then left) and how 'envious' he was that I was coming up to my 30 years service...he was still essentially a Royal Mail employee at heart. He also during that time discussed his recent 'coming out'.... he was absolutely petrified of how I, and others, would react to that. I just said that it mattered not a single jot to me and that I was just glad he'd had the courage to live his life as he wanted to, and I was absolutely certain everyone on BCB (at least) felt exactly the same way. I think he took great heart in that - so when people say "It's not real" etc I beg to differ ; I think we did have a big influence on him at that time. I also remember how terribly pained he was by the breakdown in his relationship with his kids at that time - the poor guy was in absolute turmoil. I'm glad it seems that that was resolved before his passing.

As a person I'll always remember Matt as a really happy guy, who enjoyed the laughing and joking (and piss taking) of BCB as much as anyone. I know he was the same outside of that circle via his Royal Mail connections. A funny guy, who loved his football (Chelsea, sadly) and music (The Searchers, even more sadly).... he joined in fully with the BCB halcyon days and loved that sense of community.

It's such a shock - I really can't believe the little guy has gone. As a testament to him, I'd just like to say he lightened the life of everyone who knew him and provided much needed love and care to all. I'll miss you Matt - RIP mate.

Great tribute Pete, thanks.

I was really happy How the BCB community supported him when he came out and accepted the changes in his life. Unfortunately experience shows that kind of unanimous acceptance is really rare.

Prez and I were meant to be seeing the Godfathers (On Valentine’s Day...j, I know he was excited about it. I shall go, and raise a glass or 5.