Oscar Nomination - James Bulger film

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Blanche Hunt

Oscar Nomination - James Bulger film

Postby Blanche Hunt » 23 Jan 2019, 16:48

James Bulger's parents 'disgusted' as film about son's killers gets Oscar nomination

Denise Fergus and Ralph Bulger attack shortlisting of Detainment, a drama based on the police interrogation of Robert Thompson and Jon Venables

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/jan/23/james-bulger-detainment-parents-film-oscar-nomination-denise-fergus-ralph-bulger

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46964691

Any thoughts on this Oscar film nomination about 2 year old James Bulger ?

Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_James_Bulger
“I haven’t a clue what you’re talking about – and I’m not sure you do either !”

Blanche Hunt

Re: Oscar Nomination - James Bulger film

Postby Blanche Hunt » 23 Jan 2019, 17:25

It's not a documentary, there are child actors playing the roles which I gather is what horrifies James' parents.

I can't see what good purpose it would serve.
The film maker says it's to enhance comprehension of why Venables and Thompson did what they did so that a similar tragedy never occurs, a predictive tool if you will, but I don't accept that. Human beings as individuals are inherently unpredictable.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 23 Jan 2019, 23:23

I can't really see any justification for making a film about this without having first discussed it with the victim's family. Generally in my bleeding heart liberal way I do not think the men should be persecuted for the things they did as children (Venables's crimes as an adult are a different matter, and their underlying cause a matter for psychologists, criminologists and educational theorists). But i can entirely sympathise with the mother, who probably wishes a million times a day every day that she had not become distracted talking to her friend when what happened was NOT HER FAULT, if she thinks no-one should be exploiting her tragedy in any way at all.

C
Robust

Postby C » 24 Jan 2019, 20:32

James's mum and step dad were on Good Morning ITV this morning.

Apparently, they didn't even realise the film had been made until they read about the Oscar nomination. The director at no stage had contacted them about the making of the film.

They were particularly concerned about the welfare of the three child actors re: trauma.

kath wrote:ooooooooof

John aka Josh wrote:oodles of oofness

never/ever wrote:Oooooooofffff!

slightbreeze wrote:Oooof, ooooof, oooof!

GoogaMooga wrote: ooof x 10

toomanyhatz wrote:oofness is required

joels344 wrote:lots and lots of oooooooof

Hightea wrote:(oooofa)! = (oooofa)(oooofa-1)(oooofa-2)(oooofa-3)...x3x2x1

Matt Wilson wrote:Oooof!

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 24 Jan 2019, 20:53

C wrote:James's mum and step dad were on Good Morning ITV this morning.

Apparently, they didn't even realise the film had been made until they read about the Oscar nomination. The director at no stage had contacted them about the making of the film.

They were particularly concerned about the welfare of the three child actors re: trauma.

Hmmmm, I'm not sure I buy that reason tbh. Would it have been sensitive to contact them? Yeah. Can I understand why he wouldn't? Yeah, a bit. If he asked them for permission I suspect they would have said, "no" and then he would have to deal with that after the movie came out (why did you make it when Bulger's parents said no? Similarly if they had concerns and I suspect they would). However artists should be free to make movies about difficult subjects but should they contact the people involved prior to this? Is there a responsibility there? I do feel like the parents grief is being exploited somewhat whenever they appear in the media. I suspect that they don't want anything released that maybe empathises with Venables and Thompson a bit and that perhaps portrays them as "victims" too to a degree. The grey areas. It's understandable but their opinions are not exactly rational.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 25 Jan 2019, 04:56

Goat Boy wrote:
C wrote:James's mum and step dad were on Good Morning ITV this morning.

Hmmmm, I'm not sure I buy that reason tbh. Would it have been sensitive to contact them? Yeah. Can I understand why he wouldn't? Yeah, a bit. If he asked them for permission I suspect they would have said, "no" and then he would have to deal with that after the movie came out (why did you make it when Bulger's parents said no? Similarly if they had concerns and I suspect they would). However artists should be free to make movies about difficult subjects but should they contact the people involved prior to this? Is there a responsibility there? I do feel like the parents grief is being exploited somewhat whenever they appear in the media. I suspect that they don't want anything released that maybe empathises with Venables and Thompson a bit and that perhaps portrays them as "victims" too to a degree. The grey areas. It's understandable but their opinions are not exactly rational.

Of course their opinions are not rational. Their child was murdered. And yes if making a story about real people, you should contact them. There is a famous story about a film based on the same material as "the King and I", where in the film Anna Leonowens's son was depicted as dying. The real son, still alive, was then denounced as an imposter.
An artist wanting to explore "difficlt issues" can do so in a fictional setting, rather than trying to tag on to a notorious real case.

Blanche Hunt

Postby Blanche Hunt » 25 Jan 2019, 16:46

I think Vincent Lambe is nothing but a fame-hungry wannabe Hollywood whore.

Oscars 2019: How controversial James Bulger film Detainment was made

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46994119

Bulger film director 'won't withdraw' from Oscars race

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46995039

Lambe said: "The public opinion at the moment now is that those two boys were simply evil and anybody who says anything different or gives an alternate reason as to why they did it or tries to understand why they did it, they get criticised for it.

Bollox - we in the UK already know an awful lot about these lads, their home lives at the time of the murder and their early life experiences. I think we are more mature than he gives credit. Plenty of people have offered up explanations and attempts at comprehension over the years.
"I think we have the responsibility to try and make sense of what happened."

Do "we" ? Why ?
Bollox, Weasel words. Shallow justification for a goal that is entirely unachieavable - understanding other individuals.

I worked with a senior psychiatric charge nurse on my student psych. secondment who was about to retire and I remember him saying to me, " the more I think I understand human behaviour over the years I've worked as a psych nurse, the more I realise, as I'm coming up to retirement that I don't know anything at all. "

Powehi

Postby Powehi » 26 Jan 2019, 09:40

Meanwhile, dozy Tina Malone (Shameless, Hollyoaks, etc) is facing the possibility of a maximum of two years in jail for contempt of court after (allegedly!) (re)tweeting a recent picture of Bulger killer Jon Venables.