Happy 90th, Tintin

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Happy 90th, Tintin

Postby GoogaMooga » 09 Jan 2019, 08:10

Tintin is 90 on January 10th. My first euroclassic was the old Methuen edition of King Ottokar's Sceptre, in the second grade, ca. 1970-71. A whole new world opened up, I'd never read a graphic album before. This was something different. Thus began a lifelong love of the euroclassics. And Tintin is the granddaddy of them all: 1929 - 1983, and forever.

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Re: Happy 90th, Tintin

Postby Toby » 09 Jan 2019, 10:20

Herge was a genius.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 09 Jan 2019, 10:22

I have zero interest in the stories, but the illustrations are wonderful..great colours.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 09 Jan 2019, 10:42

And the "ligne claire" really makes the colors stand out. I've also got the facsimiles of the original nine bw albums, that were later redrawn and colored by the master. Tintin in the Land of the Soviets (1929) was the only one that was not colored, but even that has been colored now (the heresy!).
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 09 Jan 2019, 14:48

Along with Spider-Man, Tintin was my childhood hero.
'Cigars...' was my first, and set up a lasting desire to travel, cruise, see Egypt, and meet foreigners, all from that one book!
I still have the ones I bought as a child, and have bought more-some of those facsimile editions.

Great!
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 09 Jan 2019, 15:46

My father traveled quite a bit for work when I was a kid, and would always bring something back for my sister and I as (I suppose) a way of making up for his absence, and after I fell in love with a Tintin book (I forget which one) he brought home once, he proceeded to buy them for me each time he went away. I never quite got the whole collection that way, but I've filled it in over the years, and apart from 'the Land of the Soviets' and 'in the Congo', I think I've got them all.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 09 Jan 2019, 16:08

Whenever I go abroad I always try and buy one in the native language.

Not sure why...
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Robert

Postby Robert » 09 Jan 2019, 16:17

The Modernist wrote:I have zero interest in the stories, but the illustrations are wonderful..great colours.

You should check this out the, uou'll probably like it

http://www.tcj.com/the-joost-swarte-interview/

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 09 Jan 2019, 16:35

harvey k-tel wrote:...and apart from 'the Land of the Soviets' and 'in the Congo', I think I've got them all.

I don't think In the Congo was ever released in the North American market due to sensitivities over the depiction of black people (exaggerated features and so forth). We only had it in a French language edition.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 09 Jan 2019, 16:51

U.S. 60’s kiddy shows used to show the cartoons. I barely ever came across the comics until Fantagraphics or somebody released a gang of them in the early 80’s. I can still curl up with them. Good, character driven story telling.
Last edited by Sneelock on 12 Apr 2019, 16:13, edited 1 time in total.
Count Machuki wrote:Pues, pasas en una ensalada de papa es un abominación y debemos estar felices!!!

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 09 Jan 2019, 17:16

Snarfyguy wrote:
harvey k-tel wrote:...and apart from 'the Land of the Soviets' and 'in the Congo', I think I've got them all.

I don't think In the Congo was ever released in the North American market due to sensitivities over the depiction of black people (exaggerated features and so forth). We only had it in a French language edition.

If it was ever done, it would probably have been Last Gasp, they did some early ones, incl. bw versions.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 11 Jan 2019, 16:27

Happy fuckin' Birthday, Tintin!!
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 11 Jan 2019, 18:29

:o

:D

:oops:
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 15 Jan 2019, 04:48

My first Tintin book was The Crab With The Golden Claws which I got for Christmas when I was about 7. I absolutely loved it but couldn't afford to buy them so borrowed them from libraries. I have quite a few on my shelf now which I'd bought for my son but he never really got into them and I got more pleasure from reading them than he ever did.

I think the two part Red Rackham's Treasure/The Secret of the Unicorn and The Blue Lotus are my favourites. The latter I also have in Chinese but never learnt to read it.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 15 Jan 2019, 08:34

My son was asking if he could Watch the cartoon (not the Spielberg film, the Canadian series*) on Netflix the other day. I think it's still a bit mature for him, with all the guns and whatnot being waved around, but I've planned for a while to introduce him to (my own favourite, and the series' great rival) Asterix and Tintin when he's old enough; I look forward to rediscovering both with him.

*famous for having a credits and "previously on" sequence longer than the actual episodes if I remember rightly from my own childhood, although the theme tune was great and, despite all the aboot-ing, it was generally very faithful to the books.**

**odd fact number two: I looked up the series just now and found that the guy who voiced Captain Haddock comes from a place called Swastika, Ontario. :?
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 15 Jan 2019, 08:35

The Modernist wrote:I have zero interest in the stories, but the illustrations are wonderful..great colours.

There's an awful lot of depth there G. Lots of symbolism and hidden meaning. Tom McCarthy has written that in the series Hergé creates a social tableau worthy of Austen or James!
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 15 Jan 2019, 09:58

Growing up, I heard the opening declaration of the TV version as “Thursday’s adventures of TinTin”. As it wasn’t broadcast on a Thursday, confusion reigned in the gash brain so I could never engage with it.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...yet it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce, didn't it?

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 15 Jan 2019, 10:32

I never cared much for the cartoon, it always seemed lame and hurried compared to the books. I enjoyed the Spielberg movie though.

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 15 Jan 2019, 15:14

The next one is to directed by Peter Jackson with SS producing. No other details about anything else.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.