Garlic wars

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Jimbo

Re: Garlic wars

Postby Jimbo » 07 Jan 2019, 16:16

The Modernist wrote:Americans on here like to make anything food related complex. They equate it with sophistication.

Not I.

Cold War Number One: 70 years of daily national stupidity. Cold War Number Two: Still in its youth, but just as stupid. - William Blum

Six String

Postby Six String » 07 Jan 2019, 17:43

The Modernist wrote:
Stille Baron wrote:
The Modernist wrote:Flavouring oil? I don't know what you're on about. I'm talking about adding garlic to something to make it garlicky.

You really have a lot to learn about garlic, G!

I don't think so. I do just fine. :)
Americans on here like to make anything food related complex. They equate it with sophistication.

Garlic sophisticated? :lol: ah, no. Sometmes different techniques are used for different outcomes. Nothing sophisticated about that.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 07 Jan 2019, 18:30

You're the one making it complex mate!

My only point is that crushing garlic is a simple thing to do - it doesn't need a morter and pestle, garlic crusher or any other implementation. As to when you'd do it, I find it useful for things that have a short cooking time and for which you want a strong garlic flavour.

Six String

Postby Six String » 07 Jan 2019, 20:11

I use a knife for smashing as well. I mentioned the m&p re:pesto. I just prefer chopping for some applications.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 07 Jan 2019, 20:22

The Modernist wrote:Americans on here like to make anything food related complex. They equate it with sophistication.

:lol:

Oh, G.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 07 Jan 2019, 22:44

My wife and I once got a whole clump of fresh garlic bulbs and to get rid of it faster we'd put a whole bulb into the microwave and then eat the softened and actually mild tasting cloves like peanuts. Cut to a few days later to the company physical examination where I was seated next to this old Japanese guy and we are chatting and suddenly he leans over and sniffs me. "You smell like a Korean," he said. So I'm telling my wife this story later on and she says that she got on a crowded elevator at work and someone in the elevators says that it smelled like garlic in there.
Cold War Number One: 70 years of daily national stupidity. Cold War Number Two: Still in its youth, but just as stupid. - William Blum

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 07 Jan 2019, 22:46

anybody with half a brain knows that you just cover the garlic cloves in lime and then smash them with the butt of your rifle.
Charlie O. wrote:You guys are killing my buzz!

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 07 Jan 2019, 22:48

Sneelock wrote:anybody with half a brain knows that you just cover the garlic cloves in lime and then smash them with the butt of your rifle.

Well, sure, if you're out of ammo. :roll:
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 08 Jan 2019, 09:17

Jimbo wrote:My wife and I once got a whole clump of fresh garlic bulbs and to get rid of it faster we'd put a whole bulb into the microwave and then eat the softened and actually mild tasting cloves like peanuts. Cut to a few days later to the company physical examination where I was seated next to this old Japanese guy and we are chatting and suddenly he leans over and sniffs me. "You smell like a Korean," he said. So I'm telling my wife this story later on and she says that she got on a crowded elevator at work and someone in the elevators says that it smelled like garlic in there.

I remember getting off the plane in Seoul to be greeted by a wave of garlic aroma - it's the kimchee apparently.
Copehead got a special kimchee fermenting jar for christmas - god help us!

A couple of people have mentioned chopped and crushed garlic in tubes/jars. I find that 'preserved' garlic and bought garlic dressings/sauces etc have a horrible taste that you don't get with fresh.

Mind you, I had a salad in Copenhagen airport that was full of whole cloves of garlic - pickled I think - that didn't cause offensive odour. Or maybe everyone was just being polite :?
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 09 Jan 2019, 04:38

Sneelock wrote:anybody with half a brain knows that you just cover the garlic cloves in lime and then smash them with the butt of your rifle.

You Americans make things so complicated! In Australia we have trained wallabies that jump on them. We then scrape the garlic from their paws.
king of the divan

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 09 Jan 2019, 06:26

mentalist (slight return) wrote:

You Americans make things so complicated! In Australia we have trained wallabies that jump on them. We then scrape the garlic from their paws.

Are you the guys who extract digested coffee beans from the shit of a merkat to make merkat shit coffee?

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 09 Jan 2019, 07:01

Re: garlic oil

Crush or chop a few cloves of garlic, and add them to a bottle of olive oil.
Shake it every couple of days.

Within a week or so you will have a well flavoured oil for cooking, pouring on a salad or pasta, or massage (if you’re feeling sexy).
It’s a time-saver if you use a lot of garlic. I think the olive oil pulls a lot of the oils out of the garlic.
I add chopped chillis to some bottles.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."