Garlic wars

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Robert

Re: Saturday queries

Postby Robert » 06 Jan 2019, 15:53

The Modernist wrote::lol: I think I based my whole approach to cooking on that scene in Goodfellas for a good few years! I don't think I ever managed to make it "liquify in the pan" though, is it even possible!?

It does melt away when you slice it that thin but to save time I’d recommend the truffle shaver or to find an inmate who owes you.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 06 Jan 2019, 16:10

Do you think ‘crushed’ garlic tastes different to ‘chopped’ garlic? - Probably. I don't know. Like most reasonable people, I smash the cloves with the broad side of a knife and chop it fairly coarsely. I made a porchetta roast over the holidays that called for several tablespoons of chopped garlic to be rubbed all over it, so I did the smart thing and bought a jar of garlic that was pre-chopped.

Are you any good at map reading? - Road maps, yeah. Topo maps, maybe not so much.

What does it take for you to finally get rid of a pair of shoes you’ve had a long time? - I'll hold on to shoes if they're still in half-decent shape - my favourite shoes to play drums in can't be worn for anything else, for instance, because they're falling apart - but at some point you just have to say "fuck it" and bin 'em, and that's a pretty arbitrary choice to make, but it usually comes when I realize I haven't worn them in a long time and they're just taking up space.

Would you rather meet Brian Eno out in Reno or MC Hammer in Alabama? - I passed through Reno once, and it seemed like a real shithole, so I'll go for the Alabama option. Maybe we could meet at Muscle Shoals...?

If forced, could you make a boat? - I reckon I could. I doubt it would be pretty, though, because I'd probably slather it in silicone sealant to prevent leaks.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 06 Jan 2019, 20:24

Rayge wrote:Yep. Brilliant. I love the OS. You don't know how to drive, but like being driven, and love marching across the countryside, it's a skill you develop and acquire

:)

Baron downloaded the OS maps to his phone while we were in Yorkshire and set off in his wellies tramping round various fields. It suited him!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 06 Jan 2019, 20:25

I have to say, I am surprised at the confidence most people seem to have in making their own boat.
Maybe I should have added "a boat that will transport one from a to b"
BCB boat building challenge anyone?

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 06 Jan 2019, 20:27

Do you think ‘crushed’ garlic tastes different to ‘chopped’ garlic?

It does a bit, but I don't know why. One of my recipes calls for nine cloves of "crushed" garlic and when I have made it with chopped, it does taste different.

Are you any good at map reading?

Absolutely not!

What does it take for you to finally get rid of a pair of shoes you’ve had a long time?

When raccoons have chewed through them

Would you rather meet Brian Eno out in Reno or MC Hammer in Alabama?

Oh, Eno!

If forced, could you make a boat?

God no. No, no, no.

Dr Markus wrote:

Six String

Postby Six String » 06 Jan 2019, 21:38

Re: smashed vs chopped garlic
Right or wrong I was thinking of the dispersion of garlic in a cooking process. Which leads to this question. Do the mashers really mash the garlic into small bits as would happen with chopping or are you merely smashing a bit and putting it in the pan as one piece?

As far as chopping, if you sprinkle some salt on the garlic before chopping it will make it less fiddly, i.e. won't stick to the knife (much).

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 06 Jan 2019, 22:51

Don't know how many times either my wife or I ask, "Do you taste the garlic?" It may be that garlic salt we sprinkled on spaghetti or garlic toast when I was a kid that tasted most garlicy. But that side of knife smashing, chopping it up then chucking it into hot oil to season the oil and then removing the browned bits doesn't work for me. Now I chop it up and chuck the raw bits into a boiling curry like any other veg. Still don't get that garlic punch however.
Cold War Number One: 70 years of daily national stupidity. Cold War Number Two: Still in its youth, but just as stupid. - William Blum

echolalia

Postby echolalia » 06 Jan 2019, 22:55

I think what happens is, when you crush garlic you get its oils running, but when you slice it you don’t. Therefore, sliced garlic will burn more readily than crushed, and so on.

I’m not bad. Probably a bit rusty.

What does it take for you to finally get rid of a pair of shoes you’ve had a long time?

Grievously compromised sole-upper integrity. Summer!

Eno in Reno. But I’d much rather meet Bob Dylan in St Fillans.

I’m sure I could lash a raft together. A cargo pallet and a few polystyrene things.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 06 Jan 2019, 23:12

Six String wrote:Re: smashed vs chopped garlic
Right or wrong I was thinking of the dispersion of garlic in a cooking process. Which leads to this question. Do the mashers really mash the garlic into small bits as would happen with chopping or are you merely smashing a bit and putting it in the pan as one piece?

The former. Its not a difficult concept!

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 06 Jan 2019, 23:44

No idea. Is crushed better?

Not bad, surprisingly. I have a fairly good sense of direction, and I love to study a map. Put me down as pro-map.

Holes, general tattiness.

Neither. I want Danny Dyer on the Mull of Kintyre.

Possibly a tiny one for kittens.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Six String

Postby Six String » 07 Jan 2019, 00:06

The Modernist wrote:

Oh I understand the process. I grow basil in the summer and make pesto. Usually garlic is not only thing I'm prepping so if I'm chopping onion, carrot, etc. it doesn't occur to me to use a mortar & pestle for just the garlic. Also if I want less garlic flavor (for a delicate fish for example)I will mash the clove but leave it in one piece and remove it before the dish is finished. Granted, that doesn't happen a lot but it is an option that works for some things.

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 07 Jan 2019, 00:37

The Modernist wrote:

Well it depends what you’re doing, doesn’t it!
If you’re just flavoring oil, a quick smash is all it takes. But that isn’t always what’s going on.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Re: Garlic wars

Postby The Modernist » 07 Jan 2019, 01:03

Flavouring oil? I don't know what you're on about. I'm talking about adding garlic to something to make it garlicky.

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 07 Jan 2019, 03:33

The Modernist wrote:Flavouring oil? I don't know what you're on about. I'm talking about adding garlic to something to make it garlicky.

You really have a lot to learn about garlic, G!

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

mission

Postby mission » 07 Jan 2019, 07:16

I used to chop it super thin - also because of that scene in Goodfellas - but now I use the fattest part of the blunt edge, near the handle, to grind the clove down, part by part. It's super quick, easy to do and the result is more flavoursome than sliced, pressed, chopped or minced.

So, for those following along at home, you don't use the flat part of the blade, you lay the knife flat and use the thick (non-cutting) edge to grind down the clove, small section by small section.

Try it. You'll like it.
Goodness gracious me.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 07 Jan 2019, 10:16

Cold War Number One: 70 years of daily national stupidity. Cold War Number Two: Still in its youth, but just as stupid. - William Blum

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 07 Jan 2019, 13:35

Not a fan of garlic, so I'll pass on this.

Yes. My iPhone map app has frequently got me out of a mess in Peterborough's more confusing areas.

Locating a convenient recycling bin is a good start

I quite fancy a visit to Nevada, so Eno it is.

I am Ikea's worst nightmare. I am totally useless at operating anything other than a computer keyboard using my hands - I really am all thumbs - so I wouldn't even know where to start with building a boat

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 07 Jan 2019, 14:56

Six String wrote:
Oh I understand the process. I grow basil in the summer and make pesto. Usually garlic is not only thing I'm prepping so if I'm chopping onion, carrot, etc. it doesn't occur to me to use a mortar & pestle for just the garlic. Also if I want less garlic flavor (for a delicate fish for example)I will mash the clove but leave it in one piece and remove it before the dish is finished. Granted, that doesn't happen a lot but it is an option that works for some things.

You don't need a mortar and pestle. A large flat knife and chopping board is fine.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 07 Jan 2019, 14:58

Stille Baron wrote:
The Modernist wrote:Flavouring oil? I don't know what you're on about. I'm talking about adding garlic to something to make it garlicky.

You really have a lot to learn about garlic, G!

I don't think so. I do just fine. :)
Americans on here like to make anything food related complex. They equate it with sophistication.

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 07 Jan 2019, 15:08

Now you’re being silly!
Enjoy your beans on toast!