Garlic wars

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Minnie Mincepie
funky thigh collector

Garlic wars

Postby Minnie Mincepie » 05 Jan 2019, 17:05

Do you think ‘crushed’ garlic tastes different to ‘chopped’ garlic?

Are you any good at map reading?

What does it take for you to finally get rid of a pair of shoes you’ve had a long time?

Would you rather meet Brian Eno out in Reno or MC Hammer in Alabama?

If forced, could you make a boat?
Last edited by Minnie Mincepie on 07 Jan 2019, 00:38, edited 1 time in total.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Sneelock

Re: Saturday queries

Postby Sneelock » 05 Jan 2019, 17:31

Minnie Mincepie wrote:Do you think ‘crushed’ garlic tastes different to ‘chopped’ garlic?

You know, I think I do. Maybe “taste” isn’t exactly the right word but I think it has a different texture & character.

Good heavens,no. The greatest technological advance of my lifetime is my phone bossing me around while I drive.

What does it take for you to finally get rid of a pair of shoes you’ve had a long time?
When one of them finally dies, both of them go.

I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die. I’d better go with Hammer.

Yes. If it floats - it’s a boat
I'm the Grand Wazoo, from the hardware store. [email protected]#k you if you don't like my hat

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 05 Jan 2019, 17:34

I don't know. I always order a garlic naan.

I get by.

They have to be literally falling apart, or well trodden-out.

Eno, just to find out what he's doing there other than rhyming.

Maybe a little newspaper boat which I could put in a pond.

1966 and all that

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 05 Jan 2019, 18:58

Not that I can tell, but then again I'm quite prepared to use puree out of a tube in some cooking. Otherwise I tend to use the flat of a wide and heavy blade to smash the cloves, or a good old crusher, not for reasons of taste but because it's good to expose as much as possible to the air so one of the health-giving compounds (allicin? no time to look it up) oxidizes.

Yep. Brilliant. I love the OS. You don't know how to drive, but like being driven, and love marching across the countryside, it's a skill you develop and acquire

Um, them wearing out, getting unsafe or getting holes in the uppers, that sort of thing. I have no emotional investment in my footwear

I'm going nowhere, but I'd gladly make Brain One a cup of Earl Grey should he come calling

Nah, but I could probably finagle or steal one, providing I didn't have to drive it
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Six String

Postby Six String » 05 Jan 2019, 19:27

Chopped is more intense assuming cooking parameters are the same.

Yes, even topography maps. I was a boy scout.

Depends on the shoe. I resoled a pair of shoes twice because the uppers were still in great shape. I'm considering getting repairs on a pair of sliders that have extremely supple uppers that I hate to let go.

Eno, everytime.

As per Snee's definition, yes but at my age the possibilities are dimming quickly. :D

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 05 Jan 2019, 19:42

Nah.
I used to do it professionally, so no.
When they become irreparable
The Hammer all day long
Of course.

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 05 Jan 2019, 19:43

Jumper K wrote:Do you think ‘crushed’ garlic tastes different to ‘chopped’ garlic?
Nah.
I used to do it professionally, so yes
When they become irreparable
The Hammer all day long
Of course.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 05 Jan 2019, 21:16

Not really, but this is a topic to get on my high-horse about. I love garlic, and put it in just about everything (food-wise, anyway, nothing kinky), but I've yet to discover a decent way of chopping it up. Garlic crushers tend to just mush it and leave it in a big still-connected mess that you have to scoop out. I've got one of those tiny graters, like a shrunken cheese-grater, and that's ok, but again you end up with the garlic sticking all over that, and all over my fingers, and the clove keeps flitting out of my hand across the kitchen or into the pan. And I bought one of those funny plastic garlic cards that have little ridges, which are supposed to effortlessly shred the garlic. Absolute bobbins, it takes a bit off, and then the garlic glides smooth as Jane Torvill across the wet garlic-encrusted card. So I've yet to find a purpose to anything other than a big sharp knife. Crushing with the blade, as Ray stipulates, is acceptable, but makes little difference beyond the dampness of the chopping board.

I can read the bits that are written in English, and I generally know that to get from one place to another, I head vaguely in the direction of intermediary towns. So no, probably not. I can use one to get from A to Q.

Stereotypical bloke answer: My wife banging on about my shoes cluttering up the area under the stairs.

Cor, it'd be a right Alabama-ding-dong for me, ta.

Forced? Or let it happen organically, man? And out of what. The answer is no, anyway, my practical handyman skills are magnificently underwhelming.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 05 Jan 2019, 21:44

1. I crush it in a pestle and mortar with a bit of salt so yes, it does taste different to chopped.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 06 Jan 2019, 03:05

Do you think ‘crushed’ garlic tastes different to ‘chopped’ garlic? Yes

Are you any good at map reading? Yes

What does it take for you to finally get rid of a pair of shoes you’ve had a long time? when the tread starts wearing out too much they are relegated to shoes for walking round town, then when holes start appearing in the bin

Would you rather meet Brian Eno out in Reno or MC Hammer in Alabama? Eno

If forced, could you make a boat?[/quote] something that floats, whether it would classify as a boat I doubt it

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 06 Jan 2019, 09:37

Yeah. A bit more pungent and less fresh. I remember reading something where the late Anthony Bourdain said that whatever the fuck came out of a garlic press, it sure wasn’t garlic, and that’s stuck with me, so maybe it’s a psychosomatic thing.
I’m not above using a press if the recipe explicitly states it but usually I just try to slice it as finely as possible to soread the flavour and, as Ray says, expose as much as possible to oxygen before cooking it.

Yes. I like maps and have a good sense of direction. I don’t hike up many topographical features but I’m good at finding my way around a new town or city.

Holes, basically. Otherwise a use can be found however grubby and outdated: garden work, outdoor play etc.

Sorry, I have a date with Carlos Santana in Louisiana.

I did a while back, at a daycare parents’ evening: I made a little one from milk cartons and toilet roll tubes that my son could sail at the park. It worked fine, though I have mo idea what became of it. In general I am most decidedly unhandy, though; I used to barely scrape passing grades in Woodwork and similar subjects (this in the ’90s when you basically just had to hand something in to pass: I still remember my wooden clock with no numbers or, indeed, hour or minute hands...).
GoogaMooga wrote:
Minnie Cheddars wrote:Baron got into a fight with some Satan’s Slaves over some culinary issue

Awful thing when that happens. I had a similar experience at a Tom Jones concert.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 06 Jan 2019, 09:44

I don't know really - I don't crush it myself, I tend to use a grater instead. I find chopping garlic to be a rather sad and fiddly process in all honesty.

I've got a good sense of direction nurtured throughout a childhood attendance in Scouts and used to pour over my father's enormous collection of OS maps, so yes, I'd say I'm good. My wife says that I've got an "inner google maps".

When I'm clearing out the cupboard under the stairs and looking at shoes I've not worn for some time.

The latter. I've been to Reno - it's possibly one of the most depressing places I've ever been to.

No.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 06 Jan 2019, 09:57

You don't need a press to crush garlic people.
Simply get a large, broad knife and place it over the clove and hammer it down. Chop it up and repeat.
It's the easy way of doing it.
Basically it releases more of the juices and you'll get a stronger garlic taste. It depends on what I'm using it for. If I'm casseroling something over a long period of time then I'll just use chopped.

Positive Passion

Postby Positive Passion » 06 Jan 2019, 12:17

Are you any good at map reading? Yes

What does it take for you to finally get rid of a pair of shoes you’ve had a long time? I chuck them when my feet get wet

Would you rather meet Brian Eno out in Reno or MC Hammer in Alabama? Eno in Reno.

If forced, could you make a boat? Yes

Robert

Postby Robert » 06 Jan 2019, 12:31

Darkness_Fish wrote:Do you think ‘crushed’ garlic tastes different to ‘chopped’ garlic?
Not really, but this is a topic to get on my high-horse about. I love garlic, and put it in just about everything (food-wise, anyway, nothing kinky), but I've yet to discover a decent way of chopping it up. Garlic crushers tend to just mush it and leave it in a big still-connected mess that you have to scoop out. I've got one of those tiny graters, like a shrunken cheese-grater, and that's ok, but again you end up with the garlic sticking all over that, and all over my fingers, and the clove keeps flitting out of my hand across the kitchen or into the pan. And I bought one of those funny plastic garlic cards that have little ridges, which are supposed to effortlessly shred the garlic. Absolute bobbins, it takes a bit off, and then the garlic glides smooth as Jane Torvill across the wet garlic-encrusted card. So I've yet to find a purpose to anything other than a big sharp knife. Crushing with the blade, as Ray stipulates, is acceptable, but makes little difference beyond the dampness of the chopping board.

I can read the bits that are written in English, and I generally know that to get from one place to another, I head vaguely in the direction of intermediary towns. So no, probably not. I can use one to get from A to Q.

Stereotypical bloke answer: My wife banging on about my shoes cluttering up the area under the stairs.

Cor, it'd be a right Alabama-ding-dong for me, ta.

Forced? Or let it happen organically, man? And out of what. The answer is no, anyway, my practical handyman skills are magnificently underwhelming.

A truffle shaver works perfectly and produces razorblade thin slices.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 06 Jan 2019, 12:36

No need even for that. I'm amazed that people have such difficulty with crushing garlic.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 06 Jan 2019, 13:40

There are a lot of crap garlic crushers out there - it took me a while to find one that works well - the mrs still manages to put it in the dishwasher* without making sure all the residue it cleaned out though.

I don't really like big slices or lumps of garlic in stuff - so crushing is preferable for me.

*On the rare occasions it's not me cleaning up - before you all start accusing me of being some sort of authoritarian misogynist!
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 06 Jan 2019, 13:42

I couldn't really say definitively as I always crush. Chopping tiny slippery garlic cloves is just asking for cut fingers.
I normally wack the cloves with my fist or squash them with the flat of a big bladed knife. (I have a garlic crusher but it's more trouble than it's worth as it leaves so much behind in the holes.)

Very good including topo. maps from years of Girl Guide camping and walking
and also geological maps.
I love maps, atlases too.

I chucked out a pair when a heel broke off recently: I didn't get them mended as they were too tight - my feet have definitely grown since my twenties. A favourite much worn pair of Greek Jesus sandals had to go as the leather straps had rotted and snapped over the years.

Hammer as I'd love to visit Alabama.

Only a toy one.
Last edited by Samoan on 06 Jan 2019, 13:48, edited 1 time in total.
The Modernist wrote:Flavouring oil ? I don't know what you're on about.

Robert

Postby Robert » 06 Jan 2019, 13:46

The Modernist wrote:No need even for that. I'm amazed that people have such difficulty with crushing garlic.

Some peple don’t like it crushed

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 06 Jan 2019, 13:53

:lol: I think I based my whole approach to cooking on that scene in Goodfellas for a good few years! I don't think I ever managed to make it "liquify in the pan" though, is it even possible!?