R.I.P. Bob Einstein

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Charlie O.

R.I.P. Bob Einstein

Postby Charlie O. » 03 Jan 2019, 04:14

... alias hapless stuntman Super Dave Osborne, Officer Judy (The Smothers Comedy Brothers Hour, which he wrote for, winning an Emmy), Marty Funkhouser (Curb Your Enthusiasm), Larry Middleman (Arrested Development). Brother of comedian/actor/director Albert Einstein (who changed his professional name to Albert Brooks - to avoid being compared to his brother, no doubt), son of the legendary Harry "Parkyakarkus" Einstein. Age 76.

Deadline wrote:When Milton Berle and other comics told jokes at his father’s 1958 funeral, the teenage Einstein decided he would never go into comedy.

Instead, he went to college and played basketball at Chapman University and then pursued a career in advertising. But when he did a TV performance on a local cable show for a friend, pretending to be the man who installed the stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, it caught the eye of Tom Smothers. After Smothers invited the 26-year old to the set, Einstein recalled how it transformed his life. “I go over and now I’m sitting and watching rehearsals and my mind is burning and all of sudden out of nowhere I want this, a bee has stung me in the back, and I want this.”

Einstein’s most memorable character on the Smothers Brothers show, Officer Judy, famously gave Liberace a speeding ticket for playing the piano too fast in a 1969 episode. “Tom Smothers made our life by giving us that,” Einstein said in 2017.

https://deadline.com/2019/01/bob-einstein-dead-curb-your-enthusiasm-super-dave-osborne-smothers-brothers-1202527938/

never/ever

Re: R.I.P. Bob Einstein

Postby never/ever » 03 Jan 2019, 07:51

Super Dave was a perennial favorite in Clive James's shows. Terrifically hilarious and he had a sincerity in his performance that really fit the idea that some 'mericans were slightly short of a dollar.

Gotta check out that Officer Judy-skit.

RIP.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 03 Jan 2019, 10:41

I just learned about him through Seinfeld’s Comedians in Cars—he was a standout guest and Min has been flogging one of his jokes mercilessly this winter. I vaguely remember Super Dave but was otherwise totally oblivious to him. I was just starting to look at some of his old stuff.

RIP
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 03 Jan 2019, 14:08

My dad and I used to watch 'Bizarre', a Canadian sketch comedy show, where the character of Super Dave was created. It was a pretty risqué show at the time, featuring censored nudity and swearing - something that was never seen on Canadian teevee. Super Dave was my dad's favourite character, and he always laughed like a loon at his 'stunts'. I remember thinking it was pretty corny stuff at the time, but whenever I see any of those old sketches now I get a laugh out of them. Marty Funkhouser was one of the greatest characters in 'Curb Your Enthusiasm'. Just genius.

RIP.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 03 Jan 2019, 14:21

There's a guy lost in the desert. He sees someone else, so he eventually staggers up to another guy, and pleads. "Water! Water!"
The other guy says, "I don't have any water. I'm a tie salesman. Do you want to buy a tie?"
The first guy just repeats, "Water! Water!"
"About an hour that way-- over that dune-- there's a restaurant that has water."
The first man staggers in the direction that the man is pointing, goes over the dune, and disappears from sight.

About four hours later, the same man returns, crawling on his hands and knees. He's sunburned and near death. "Water! Water!"
The tie salesman says, "I thought that you went to the place. You didn't get any water there?"
"They wouldn't let me in without a tie."

RIP
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Six String

Postby Six String » 03 Jan 2019, 15:58

I vaguely remember his early characters but enjoyed him more recently on Curb Your Enthusiasm. RIP

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 04 Jan 2019, 01:10

loved him. his big deadpan character was really one of a kind. since Buddy Hackett died, I think he was the king of the dirty joke. He could tell the joke economically but he could also belabor it if the punchline was worth it. a really one of a kind seasoned comedian of considerable skill. he will be missed.
Björk says we all need to get off Facebook and go for a walk.
https://i-d.vice.com/en_us/article/mbva ... q097SIBlf4