Integrity Initiative

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
sloopjohnc
Posts: 63921
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12

Re: Integrity Initiative

Postby sloopjohnc » 17 Dec 2018, 23:27

Jimbo wrote::roll:

The thread is not about the state of journalism it's about this now exposed secret program named Integrity Initiative set up and funded by the UK government to make Russia look bad.


But I think it is about the state of journalism as many people on here have tried to state. In journalism, you are taught to get sources for a story and fact check the sources, twice. And name the sources if you are able and get permission. If you can't get permission, you typically have to go to an editor and state your case as to why you can't use a source. That fact alone can kill a story or a source in the story so it isn't published.

This involves phone calls, email communications, carefully referencing and checking those sources and statements, and using an invalidated source off the internet is sloppy, at best, and inaccurate at worst, journalism, if you even want to call it that.

While I never wrote professionally, I was in San Jose State University's journalism school for three years, and switched majors my last year. it's a pretty good journalism school. I have some knowledge of the trade and not trying to brag:

Based on 66 evaluation factors, San Jose State University journalism program ranks #37 out of Journalism Schools (out of 1,754; top 15%) in USA. Major competing journalism schools in CA are University of Southern California in Los Angeles and University of California Berkeley.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 16188
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: Integrity Initiative

Postby Jimbo » 18 Dec 2018, 00:33

sloopjohnc wrote:
Jimbo wrote::roll:

The thread is not about the state of journalism it's about this now exposed secret program named Integrity Initiative set up and funded by the UK government to make Russia look bad.


But I think it is about the state of journalism as many people on here have tried to state. In journalism, you are taught to get sources for a story and fact check the sources, twice. And name the sources if you are able and get permission. If you can't get permission, you typically have to go to an editor and state your case as to why you can't use a source. That fact alone can kill a story or a source in the story so it isn't published.



And I provided a link to the Moon of Alabama blog which got its material not from the blogger's imagination but from sources. Did you check the link or are you making an unfounded opinion based on how you characterize bloggers? Based upon MOA's compelling, relevant and interesting content, professional and readable presentation, esteem and popularity I'd say its content is kosher. So here again is a link to the blog. Check for yourself to determine if it isn't what I said it was and get back with your professional opinion of the blog's legitimacy and more importantly tell us what you think of the news that UK government is actually doing - outdoing by miles - anything we have been accusing Russia of doing, i.e., someone in Russia spent $4,700 on Facebook ads to swing the election to Trump - UK millions to fuck with Russia and propagandize its own citizens.

https://www.moonofalabama.org/
Cold War Number One: 70 years of daily national stupidity. Cold War Number Two: Still in its youth, but just as stupid. - William Blum

User avatar
Davey the Fat Boy
Posts: 23881
Joined: 05 Jan 2006, 02:55
Location: Applebees

Re: Integrity Initiative

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 18 Dec 2018, 05:33

Still holding to that “just a few Facebook ads” line, eh?

Too bad Robert Parry is dead. He’d feed you some new material. Where’s Caitlin on this?
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Image

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 16188
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: Integrity Initiative

Postby Jimbo » 18 Dec 2018, 05:46

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:Still holding to that “just a few Facebook ads” line, eh?

Too bad Robert Parry is dead. He’d feed you some new material. Where’s Caitlin on this?


How many were there then?

And even if … go up to anyone who voted for Trump, Stein, Bernie or Busters or stay-homers and ask why they voted as they had and prepare yourself for the torrent of "Facebook ads … Could not resist."

You used to be a contender. Hillary lost. Move on, sad man.
Cold War Number One: 70 years of daily national stupidity. Cold War Number Two: Still in its youth, but just as stupid. - William Blum

User avatar
Davey the Fat Boy
Posts: 23881
Joined: 05 Jan 2006, 02:55
Location: Applebees

Re: Integrity Initiative

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 18 Dec 2018, 06:32

So now your argument is, “advertising doesn’t work anyhow?”

Is anyone keeping score?
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Image

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 16188
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: Integrity Initiative

Postby Jimbo » 18 Dec 2018, 06:51

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:So now your argument is, “advertising doesn’t work anyhow?”

Is anyone keeping score?


You have a point. Show me an ad or two and I might change my mind.
Cold War Number One: 70 years of daily national stupidity. Cold War Number Two: Still in its youth, but just as stupid. - William Blum

User avatar
Davey the Fat Boy
Posts: 23881
Joined: 05 Jan 2006, 02:55
Location: Applebees

Re: Integrity Initiative

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 18 Dec 2018, 07:29

What... change it back to whatever it was before the drugs rendered you into a walking Cheech and Chong skit?
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Image

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 24451
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: Integrity Initiative

Postby Copehead » 18 Dec 2018, 16:30

yomptepi wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:
yomptepi wrote:
I think it is the sort of thing governments do, and I'm sure your mate and hero Tony Blair wasn't averse to some disinformation now and then. You are such a hypocrite.


Are you able to actually quote anything you disagree with (or are embarrassed by because it blows your heroes up) without referring it back to a comparison with Blair? Anything? Ever?

Grow the fuck up.


I am just trying to be fair by throwing things back to the last elected Labour Prime Minister, such as he was. The point, which of course you miss, is that power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. I doubt you could find a government in the last 100 years who din't use some kind of chicanery to discredit the opposition. Copehead seems to think all this nonsense started with the May government. It did not. Look at how Blair remodeled the BBC to make sure that it always followed the government line. Now the Labour opposition complain the BBC is not impartial. Well there is reason for that...


I don't remember the Labour government funding an anti-Russian disinformation troll farm with a side line in smearing British opposition politicians, if you can show me where and when this happened, or anything like it, I'd be most interested.

If you don't think this is seriously worrying all your high minded principles about what Blair got up to are just so much partisan hot air.
Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Fuck Off

Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013
Posts: 39269
Joined: 11 Jun 2005, 15:28
Location: trying to get over

Re: Integrity Initiative

Postby Count Machuki » 18 Dec 2018, 16:43

Jimbo wrote:
Davey the Fat Boy wrote:Still holding to that “just a few Facebook ads” line, eh?


How many were there then?


Just MILLIONS.

New research says YouTube, Tumblr, Instagram and PayPal - as well as Facebook and Twitter - were leveraged to spread propaganda.
The report, released today by the US Senate, exposes the scale of Russian disinformation efforts.
Its authors criticise the "belated and unco-ordinated response" by tech firms.
The report was put together by University of Oxford's Computational Propaganda Project and the social network analysis firm Graphika.
It is the first analysis of millions of social media posts provided by Twitter, Google and Facebook to the Senate Intelligence Committee.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-46590890


FFS, Jimbo.
:roll:

"University of Oxford! Pah! Senate Intelligence Committee! Bah! What do they know?! They never even DID standup comedy!"

and here's dessert, from last February: https://www.wired.com/story/did-russia- ... ndeniable/
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 16188
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: Integrity Initiative

Postby Jimbo » 18 Dec 2018, 17:12

Count Machuki wrote:
Jimbo wrote:
Davey the Fat Boy wrote:Still holding to that “just a few Facebook ads” line, eh?


How many were there then?


Just MILLIONS.

New research says YouTube, Tumblr, Instagram and PayPal - as well as Facebook and Twitter - were leveraged to spread propaganda.
The report, released today by the US Senate, exposes the scale of Russian disinformation efforts.
Its authors criticise the "belated and unco-ordinated response" by tech firms.
The report was put together by University of Oxford's Computational Propaganda Project and the social network analysis firm Graphika.
It is the first analysis of millions of social media posts provided by Twitter, Google and Facebook to the Senate Intelligence Committee.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-46590890


FFS, Jimbo.
:roll:

"University of Oxford! Pah! Senate Intelligence Committee! Bah! What do they know?! They never even DID standup comedy!"

and here's dessert, from last February: https://www.wired.com/story/did-russia- ... ndeniable/


If you buy into the idea that African Americans need help from Russian trolls to know shit is fucked up in America then .... I don't know what.

Twitter’s daily user count at 48 percent of its current MAU count of 328 million, which would tally to 157 million users. Snapchat, for comparison, claims 166 million daily users.


But "MILLIONS!" How many millions? At 328 million Twitter users per day a few million ain't much.
Cold War Number One: 70 years of daily national stupidity. Cold War Number Two: Still in its youth, but just as stupid. - William Blum

User avatar
Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013
Posts: 39269
Joined: 11 Jun 2005, 15:28
Location: trying to get over

Re: Integrity Initiative

Postby Count Machuki » 18 Dec 2018, 17:31

Jimbo wrote:
But "MILLIONS!" How many millions? At 328 million Twitter users per day a few million ain't much.


Yet if a fraction of that "not much" ends up staying home or voting Jill Stein the world ends up with this fucking Trump meshugas.

Anyway, how many Russian spies have been uncovered working in mainstream newsrooms so far? And how many blogers/YouTubers/anonymous indie news organizations?
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

sloopjohnc
Posts: 63921
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12

Re: Integrity Initiative

Postby sloopjohnc » 18 Dec 2018, 17:36

Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 16188
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: Integrity Initiative

Postby Jimbo » 18 Dec 2018, 17:58

Count Machuki wrote:
Anyway, how many Russian spies have been uncovered working in mainstream newsrooms so far? And how many blogers/YouTubers/anonymous indie news organizations?


How many?

See, this is McCarthyism. Russians in newsrooms? The meshugana is not Russia's fault man. Blame me. I didn't vote. I gave money to Bernie. That didn't help HRC. Blame the Electoral College. Blame Hillary. Blame the crazy elections system. Gerrymandering. Purged voter rolls. James Comey. Blame Trump for lying about his platform. He pretty much promised Medicare for all. Hillary poo-pooed it. She lost and Trump won. Be philosophical. This too shall pass.
Cold War Number One: 70 years of daily national stupidity. Cold War Number Two: Still in its youth, but just as stupid. - William Blum

User avatar
Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013
Posts: 39269
Joined: 11 Jun 2005, 15:28
Location: trying to get over

Re: Integrity Initiative

Postby Count Machuki » 18 Dec 2018, 18:06

I can blame all that stuff AND be pissed off about Russia.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 16188
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: Integrity Initiative

Postby Jimbo » 18 Dec 2018, 18:15

Count Machuki wrote:I can blame all that stuff AND be pissed off about Russia.


You can but here is what Nate Silver said about this new report on Twitter. You like Silver if I'm not mistaken.

Nate Silver
‏Verified account @NateSilver538

What fraction of overall social media impressions on the 2016 election were generated by Russian troll farms? 0.1%? I'm not sure what the answer is, but suspect it's low, and it says something that none of the reports that hype up the importance of them address that question.


Here's Michael Tracy's Tweet.

Michael Tracey✔
@mtracey

Of all the absolute mountains of propaganda produced every election cycle, we're supposed to believe the minuscule fraction of Russian stuff (probably .000001% of total propaganda produced) was somehow decisive. No one has *ever* explained how that even remotely makes sense.
Cold War Number One: 70 years of daily national stupidity. Cold War Number Two: Still in its youth, but just as stupid. - William Blum

User avatar
yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice
Posts: 36024
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 17:57
Location: well

Re: Integrity Initiative

Postby yomptepi » 18 Dec 2018, 19:17

Copehead wrote:
yomptepi wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:
Are you able to actually quote anything you disagree with (or are embarrassed by because it blows your heroes up) without referring it back to a comparison with Blair? Anything? Ever?

Grow the fuck up.


I am just trying to be fair by throwing things back to the last elected Labour Prime Minister, such as he was. The point, which of course you miss, is that power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. I doubt you could find a government in the last 100 years who din't use some kind of chicanery to discredit the opposition. Copehead seems to think all this nonsense started with the May government. It did not. Look at how Blair remodeled the BBC to make sure that it always followed the government line. Now the Labour opposition complain the BBC is not impartial. Well there is reason for that...


I don't remember the Labour government funding an anti-Russian disinformation troll farm with a side line in smearing British opposition politicians, if you can show me where and when this happened, or anything like it, I'd be most interested.

If you don't think this is seriously worrying all your high minded principles about what Blair got up to are just so much partisan hot air.


You forgot your tin foil hat Will. I don't believe a word of it. Why would they need to fund anyone to discredit a fool like Corbyn. He does a better job than anyone could pay him for without even asking.
You don't like me...do you?

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 24451
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: Integrity Initiative

Postby Copehead » 19 Dec 2018, 10:01

yomptepi wrote:You forgot your tin foil hat Will. I don't believe a word of it. Why would they need to fund anyone to discredit a fool like Corbyn. He does a better job than anyone could pay him for without even asking.


In that case I don't believe Tony Blair invaded Iraq, two can play at that game.
Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Fuck Off

Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice
Posts: 36024
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 17:57
Location: well

Re: Integrity Initiative

Postby yomptepi » 19 Dec 2018, 10:14

Copehead wrote:
yomptepi wrote:You forgot your tin foil hat Will. I don't believe a word of it. Why would they need to fund anyone to discredit a fool like Corbyn. He does a better job than anyone could pay him for without even asking.


In that case I don't believe Tony Blair invaded Iraq, two can play at that game.


I am quite sure you don't. It was , after all the tories who did it. I remember quite clearly how Blair spoke so passionately against the war and GWB. It is all well documented. How could anyone think that a man with such lovely blue eyes could do anything wrong. I'm with you. * calls ambulance*
You don't like me...do you?

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 24451
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: Integrity Initiative

Postby Copehead » 19 Dec 2018, 10:19

yomptepi wrote:
Copehead wrote:
yomptepi wrote:You forgot your tin foil hat Will. I don't believe a word of it. Why would they need to fund anyone to discredit a fool like Corbyn. He does a better job than anyone could pay him for without even asking.


In that case I don't believe Tony Blair invaded Iraq, two can play at that game.


I am quite sure you don't. It was , after all the tories who did it. I remember quite clearly how Blair spoke so passionately against the war and GWB. It is all well documented. How could anyone think that a man with such lovely blue eyes could do anything wrong. I'm with you. * calls ambulance*


See it is easy to reject news that makes us uncomfortable, aren't we great

You do realise that the Integrity Initiative was stuff that was leaked from within the organisation `and has not been denied by anyone including the Tory government?

The best they could do was it was all a terrible mistake and it was only a little bit of Corbyn smearing on our tax money so it wasn't really important.

Like in America it is the normalising of actions that would have lead to prison and resignation a few years ago and right wing dummies lap it up.
Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Fuck Off

Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice
Posts: 36024
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 17:57
Location: well

Re: Integrity Initiative

Postby yomptepi » 19 Dec 2018, 10:24

Copehead wrote:
yomptepi wrote:
Copehead wrote:
In that case I don't believe Tony Blair invaded Iraq, two can play at that game.


I am quite sure you don't. It was , after all the tories who did it. I remember quite clearly how Blair spoke so passionately against the war and GWB. It is all well documented. How could anyone think that a man with such lovely blue eyes could do anything wrong. I'm with you. * calls ambulance*


See it is easy to reject news that makes us uncomfortable, aren't we great

You do realise that the Integrity Initiative was stuff that was leaked from within the organisation `and has not been denied by anyone including the Tory government?

The best they could do was it was all a terrible mistake and it was only a little bit of Corbyn smearing on our tax money so it wasn't really important.

Like in America it is the normalising of actions that would have lead to prison and resignation a few years ago and right wing dummies lap it up.


It is unimportant, except to desperate Corbynista's like you. Let's be honest, he doesn't need smearing because he leaves a trail of fuck ups everywhere he goes. He has no choice but to employ buffoons like Richard Burgon and Angela Rayner in his cabinet. The rest are old friends who just feel sorry for him. And Kier Starmer, who is Blairite mole.
You don't like me...do you?