Democrat candidates so far. . .

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Jimbo

Re: Democrat candidates so far. . .

Postby Jimbo » 16 Jan 2019, 01:57

Five Reasons I’m Excited About Tulsi Gabbard’s Candidacy
Caitlin Johnstone Jan 15

https://medium.com/@caityjohnstone/five ... b8807351a9

Cold War Number One: 70 years of daily national stupidity. Cold War Number Two: Still in its youth, but just as stupid. - William Blum

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 16 Jan 2019, 06:12

Caitlin Johnston can count to 5! :p
It’s shaping up that at least three women will be seeking the nomination.
Good.

Even if the DNC has its BUTT on the scales again, this could really make for an engaging, issue driven primary.
Charlie O. wrote:You guys are killing my buzz!

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 16 Jan 2019, 18:18

If it's worth anything at primary or election time it appears that Tulsi at least has got the Jimmy Dore, Consortium News, Caitlin Johnstone, alternative news, anti-war libertarian types sewn up. Oh, and probably the surfer vote as well. She surfs.

Just made a contribution. :D
Cold War Number One: 70 years of daily national stupidity. Cold War Number Two: Still in its youth, but just as stupid. - William Blum

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 16 Jan 2019, 18:46

I like Julian Castro quite a bit. His announcement was very Obamish.
I could do Warren/Castro, in fact.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 16 Jan 2019, 19:09

Jimbo wrote:If it's worth anything at primary or election time it appears that Tulsi at least has got the Jimmy Dore, Consortium News, Caitlin Johnstone, alternative news, anti-war libertarian types sewn up.

they weren't so crazy about her when she endorsed Hillary Clinton!
yeah, they'll forgive any goddam controversial Anti-Islam, pro strong man thing she ever said and yet...
STILL better than Jill Stein.

I actually think she has a lot going for her but I wish I was surprised how willing that crowd is to blot out her problem areas.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 16 Jan 2019, 20:42

It is a bit nerve wracking, as the fundamentals say that Trump should be in big trouble, but it is hard to imagine many of the candidates we have beating him. At an almost animal-world level, it still feels like we need someone who appears to be the “alpha” standing next to him. This is an opinion I hate giving voice to, as it clearly upholds existing prejudices around identity. But the question has to be asked: is getting Trump out of office the greater good? I think so, but it bugs me that I do.

With the above in mind, I can’t helo but wish he had options beyond the ones widely reported as considering a run. And while I’m not a huge fan of military Presidents, I do think that a tough, distinguished military leader is the best contrast to Trump.

He hasn’t given any indication that he’ll run - but I do with that Seal Team 6 leader Admiral WilliaM McRaven would get in the race. Cornball as some of it may be, I think America would eat stuff like this (see link below) with a spoon:

“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 16 Jan 2019, 21:42

I don’t know, man. I’m having Westley Clark flashbacks.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 16 Jan 2019, 23:12

Sneelock wrote: they weren't so crazy about her when she endorsed Hillary Clinton!.

Uh, Gabbard voted for Hillary but she didn't endorse her.

Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-Hawaii), one of Bernie Sanders's top supporters in the Democratic primary, says she'll vote for Hillary Clinton.

“Given the remaining choices, like Bernie Sanders, I will be casting my vote for Hillary Clinton,” Gabbard told the Honolulu Star-Advertiser in a story published Wednesday. ... The Hawaii lawmaker was slow to offer her support to Clinton even after she became the presumptive Democratic nominee after the primaries.

She stepped down from her post as a vice chairwoman of the Democratic National Committee to back the independent Vermont senator.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 16 Jan 2019, 23:30

Same difference.
Anybody who didn’t vote for Jill Stein was a corporate whore, remember?

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 16 Jan 2019, 23:40

Sneelock wrote:Same difference.
Anybody who didn’t vote for Jill Stein was a corporate whore, remember?

HRC was the corporate whore. I didn't vote for reasons I have stated before. I probably won't vote again. If I could have voted I would have voted for HRC. Meanwhile, I will support Gabbard over Bernie. She isn't hysterical over Russia! nor is she anti-Assad like Bernie has said he is.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 16 Jan 2019, 23:47

Gillibrand is talking directly to women. I have a lot of problems with her but I think this is a very sound strategy.
the Repubs have been using the old "household budget" canard to disparage government spending for years. Well, anybody who really knows how household budgets work is going to have a problem with telling thousands of people to go to work without pay.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 16 Jan 2019, 23:54

I love Bernie's issues - most of them - and his genuine compassion for the little guy but I can't stand listening to his phlegmy voice. "Clear your throat!" I want to scream at the TV.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 16 Jan 2019, 23:57

I know what you mean. it's not how he says it - it's what he says.
you see him with that EPA guy? If he runs as a Dem in the primary, I'm going to have a hard time voting for anybody else.
He asks the right questions for the right reasons. I could do without the phlegm but it still gives me goosebumps.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 17 Jan 2019, 00:01

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 23 Jan 2019, 14:34

Kamala Harris Was Not a ‘Progressive Prosecutor’

The senator was often on the wrong side of history when she served as California’s attorney general.

By Lara Bazelon

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/17/opin ... stice.html

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 23 Jan 2019, 16:32

I thought you HATED the New York Times :lol:
That's a good piece. personally, despite all that, I think she's the most serious contender to officially announce so far.
she handled those high profile hearings very well. she is taking progressive positions in her platform. she hasn't been in the Senate long enough to have a lot of low hanging fruit (except with the base). the stuff in that article (the good as well as the bad) will be brought up and should be brought up.

Frankly, I know you and Jimmy Dore and his assorted droogs will never support her but I think she stands a good chance of straddling the fence between the establishment & the base. what's yet to be seen is if the establishment are even going to have any say in this thing.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 23 Jan 2019, 16:43

Also, I think there's a very good chance that TRUMP will be contested in the primary. This depends on how other things play out but I think Nikki Haley is in the wings.

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 23 Jan 2019, 16:44

Sneelock wrote:Also, I think there's a very good chance that TRUMP will be contested in the primary. This depends on how other things play out but I think Nikki Haley is in the wings.

As long as there’s no third party candidate.
:x
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 23 Jan 2019, 16:57

sadly, I don't think that's out of the queston at this point. voters who have Global Warming as their number one issue aren't going to go along with Biden or Clinton. they would make a lot of noise for Bernie or Tulsi to run third party. it doesn't mean they would but my fear is that the "Susan Sarandon Factor" might be an even bigger problem for Dems than it was last time.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 24 Jan 2019, 02:11

Sneelock wrote:"Susan Sarandon Factor"

:roll: