Democrat candidates so far. . .

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Sneelock

Re: Democrat candidates so far. . .

Postby Sneelock » 24 Apr 2019, 01:33

I think he stands a good chance of Jebbing out.

it looks like he's planning to bundle a lot of money really fast at a time when all the other candidates are bragging about not doing it. "Good Old Middle Class Joe"? low hanging fruit if anybody wants to get nasty and they probably will.

good points: Obama boosters will probably step up to the plate and dig down deep. bad points: is he going to keep bad mouthing millennials? I hope not - they're a really big and growing voting block. what's up with that?
"well, if THIS isn't nice, I don't know what is!" KVJ

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 24 Apr 2019, 02:57

Sneelock wrote:the primary or the election?
I'll assume you mean both. well, I hope you're right. (meaning that if he wins one thing he wins both)
I think he handled his "touchy feely" thing worse than Warren handled the "Pochohantas" thing.
hopefully enough voters aren't bothered by it because TRUMP will sure keep bringing up anything bad anybody says about anybody he is running against.

I do mean both.

I’d lay odds that he doesn’t pull a Jeb. People are comfortable with Joe. Not the people screaming into the internet, but the kind of people who have no idea who Glenn Greenwald and don’t feel any loss for the lack of having him in their lives.

The ‘touchy-feely’ thing won’t have any legs in the general against President Pussygrabber. Joe will add someone like Kamala Harris to the ticket and should be able to put enough of the Obama coalition together to pull it out. But I worry about him in 2024, which is one of many reasons I’m probably not going to support him.

Right now I’m trying to convince myself that Buttigieg doesn’t have enough experience to fill the Johnny Bravo suit, but I’m failing at it. I’ve already sent him one check and I may send another. But I could still be won over by anybody in the Democratic primary who emerged as viable other than Bernie or Tulsi. Of course, I’ll support any Dem in the general.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 25 Apr 2019, 23:21

TRUMP just dubbed him "Sleepy Joe"
you've got to wonder if he's been saving that one up or if he just sprung it off the top of his head.
either way -- it's pretty weak.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 26 Apr 2019, 04:15

Especially since Biden looks like he could bench press Trump.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 26 Apr 2019, 10:48

Sneelock wrote:TRUMP just dubbed him "Sleepy Joe"
you've got to wonder if he's been saving that one up or if he just sprung it off the top of his head.
either way -- it's pretty weak.

The BBC just mentioned it and showed a bit of film of Biden nodding off in some meeting. Then went on to say that Biden is older now than Regan was when he left office. Although he is only 4 years older than Trump.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 26 Apr 2019, 10:53

There might be one or 2 people that haven't seen this before....

It's a great reminder of what a marvellous windbag Kinnock was!

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 26 Apr 2019, 17:55

I'm liking Warren more and more (and I already liked her a lot to being with).
I still like Bernie, too, but maybe some of this anti-Bernie stuff is getting to me.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 26 Apr 2019, 22:54

don't worry. If EW ever starts to catch on you can betcher ass we'll be feeling pretty anti-Warren too. A lot of people will be putting in a lot of overtime to make that happen.

I'm going to use this to try to ease into some things I've been wanting to say about Biden. First, here's a Politico article from a while back that gives some background to the comments EW made about Biden today.
https://www.politico.com/magazine/story ... ill-225728

I bring it up mainly because I think this is Fair Game. I probably first heard about her when I was working my worry-beads over this issue and, by speaking of these matters today, I see her as being consistent.

I do NOT think this is "circular firing squad" stuff. I think this is the very breast plate of politics - I stood for THIS & he stood for THAT. How Biden responds could make this a conversation worth having. I hated that bill and I'm glad to see I'm not the only person who remembers it.

Part Two: most of the fellow Democrats I hobknob with are either of the opinion that Joe is our only hope or that he's the final straw that broke the camel's back. Well, I try to be an open minded guy. I don't much like Joe myself but, at least among the people I know, those who are Pro-Joe seem a little more sincere to me. maybe this is because I feel like I've seen many last straws that are yet to break any Camel's backs.

I like primaries and I usually approach them with stars in my eyes. In my heart of hearts, I believe this is what primaries are for. this is when the party learns what the registered party members want - where our heads are at.

My very practical friends assure me that this is not the best way to go about it. People who supported Muskie gave us McGovern, I'm warned. People who supported Jesse Jackson gave us Dukakis. Well, I'm not sure I agree but I'll admit that it's a lot to chew on.

I try to put on my little pointed hat and look at it like Nicely Nicely regarding his Racing Form. I hear people saying that if Biden gets the nom that this would win over a lot of "working middle class people". I don't know. I have trouble swallowing that. Okay, I'll try harder. I'm sure a lot of people will be logging a lot of hours FRAMING it that way. so, okay, I'll concede this point. let's suppose there's something to it.

what if he got the nomination and ran with a woman? better yet a woman of color? well, Harris seems to be the loudest "the more the merrier" so far. if that's the plan - who am I to say it's not a good plan? 60% of women supposedly vote Dem. there was a lot of yak that neither HRC or Bernie really reached "the Obama Voters" last time. would Harris on the ticket help? well, it wouldn't hurt but those "last straw" voters would sure belly ache about it.

so, here I am again right where I started. Do I continue to keep my ears open and see who I like and why? Cory Booker gave 15% of his income to charitable causes for the entire 10 years of taxes he disclosed. the distant second was maybe 5 and a half!! that's the sort of thing I'm talking about. I've got at least one thing in my Cory Booker column. I'm keeping track!

OR, do I start pretending that I know who can or can't win and why? Shit, I don't know if I can and I think all these goddam algorithms and pundits make it easier than ever to THINK that I DO.

If Biden wins the nom he most certainly has my support. The primary is still a work in progress. there's a lot of stuff I still need to put in my head. it's too early to start circling the wagons but it's never too early to hear who somebody likes or doesn’t like and why. I'm very interested to see which of the 20 declared candidates are still standing in a couple month's time. I wish I enjoyed watching Democrats on the Hill half as much as I enjoy watching them on the stump!

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 27 Apr 2019, 02:34

I’m fine with vetting all of our candidates. Frankly, I don’t actually think it matters anyhow. We are through the looking glass. President’s can obstruct justice and lie openly. The only people who care are the same tiny slice of the electorate who care loudly on the internet about EVERYTHING. Folks like us.

We do our bit, making with all of the big opinions. Then the print media tells us what we want to hear in order to get us to click and share. That allows us to convince ourselves that our opinions have gone mainstream and changed everybody’s mind. But then the election actually happens and it turns out that millions of people showed up at the polls with no idea about any of it. They just vote based on their general impressions about the candidates.

That’s the context in which I think Biden’s got a good shot to win the nomination and the Presidency. But a lot could happen. I’m not claiming to have a crystal ball.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 27 Apr 2019, 02:57

I've had a couple. Those things are delicious!

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 29 Apr 2019, 23:38

Putting this here to read later:

https://www.thecut.com/2019/04/elizabet ... paign.html

Guide to Elizabeth Warren's many policy proposals
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.

Qube

Postby Qube » 30 Apr 2019, 05:24

I'm a little dismayed that most the candidates are anti-nuclear power (as are the public, sadly). I think Cory Booker is one of the few who has been openly for it, so if I had to vote tomorrow he'd probably get mine.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 01 May 2019, 19:54

I see Biden is backing any potential overthrow in Venezuala by Trump.

That ought to rule him out of the Democratic running instantly.
A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
Praise will come to those whose kindness leaves you without debt.
Only four, Mr President, and you don't have my vote.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 01 May 2019, 23:22

you'd think so, wouldn't you?

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 01 May 2019, 23:23

He stands by his Iraq vote. He stands by the way he handled the Clarence Thomas hearings. He stands by women and smells their hair.

We’re told he is “electable" and apparently that is all that matters.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 02 May 2019, 18:28

Here’s an In These Times piece that both praises and criticizes Warrens plans and operation.
http://inthesetimes.com/article/21864/e ... -election/
Food for thought.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 02 May 2019, 22:13

Sneelock wrote:Here’s an In These Times piece that both praises and criticizes Warrens plans and operation.
http://inthesetimes.com/article/21864/e ... -election/
Food for thought.

That's a good read. I think firebrand Warren is still in there. This Bill Barr thing seems to be pissing her off, and she's DTI*.

I bet she'd get some of that fire back once she's on the campaign trail proper.

*Down To Impeach

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 02 May 2019, 22:20

I’m not convinced she lost it. Tempered it down, maybe.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 11 Jun 2019, 21:07

I thought this profile of Tulsi Gabbard in New York magazine was very well done.
http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/06/ ... paign.html

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 12 Jun 2019, 02:19

Is Tulsi still running?