Beijing is trying to rid city of Chinglish before 2022 Winter Olympics

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Beijing is trying to rid city of Chinglish before 2022 Winter Olympics

Postby GoogaMooga » 08 Dec 2018, 16:03

from https://shanghai.ist/2018/12/04/beijing ... 3WegUwbf-E

On December 1st, 2017, a new English translation standard went into effect in China. Since then, Beijing’s foreign affairs office claims to have vetted more than two million Chinese characters on bilingual signs to ensure that they have been properly translated into English.

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Jimbo

Re: Beijing is trying to rid city of Chinglish before 2022 Winter Olympics

Postby Jimbo » 08 Dec 2018, 17:02

I don't see nearly the amount of bad English in Japan as in the old days.

There was a Nintendo Mario ad played over and over on the train TV screens which ended with a happy "See you next!" Of course they should have added "time" to the copy but how is a multi national corporation like Nintendo able to afford one person to check the copy. Dumber than that however was when around the same time my sports club pasted a colorful "SEE YOU NEXT!" banner over the exit.
Cold War Number One: 70 years of daily national stupidity. Cold War Number Two: Still in its youth, but just as stupid. - William Blum

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 08 Dec 2018, 18:06

Jimbo wrote:I don't see nearly the amount of bad English in Japan as in the old days.

There was a Nintendo Mario ad played over and over on the train TV screens which ended with a happy "See you next!" Of course they should have added "time" to the copy but how is a multi national corporation like Nintendo able to afford one person to check the copy. Dumber than that however was when around the same time my sports club pasted a colorful "SEE YOU NEXT!" banner over the exit.

Japan is becoming more international, but back in the 70s, 80s, 90s, you'd see plenty of examples. Especially letter jackets with bad English on the back. Or T-shirts with some cockamamie message. There was even a whole book published, full of egregious examples.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Powehi

Postby Powehi » 08 Dec 2018, 18:30

Jimbo wrote:I don't see nearly the amount of bad English in Japan as in the old days.

Surely you mean, "see you next Tuesday"