Let's talk bourbon

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
WG Kaspar

Let's talk bourbon

Postby WG Kaspar » 07 Dec 2018, 09:50

I'm usually a scotch person, but recently I've tried Bulleit Bourbon for the first time and was immediately taken by it. It's not going to replace my favourite single malts but it's a really nice alternative to have.
Can people recommend any other bourbons I should keep an eye on and how they usually like to have them.
Disclaimer I drink it straight with no ice or water.
I run out of talent

Powehi

Re: Let's talk bourbon

Postby Powehi » 07 Dec 2018, 10:26

More of a custard cream man myself, but each to his/her own

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 07 Dec 2018, 10:53

Bulleit makes a really good rye, too.

As for bourbon, if you want to treat yourself for the holidays (or any time), Booker's is the tops.

For mid-range, Knob Creek

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 07 Dec 2018, 14:23

Yeah, Bulleit is good - probably the best affordable bourbon out there. I'd love to try a Van Winkle or Stagg one of these days, but those go for ridiculous amounts of money.

I highly recommend Balvenie's 'doublewood' Scotch whisky. It's aged in sherry and bourbon casks, and is really nice. I might pick up a bottle around Christmas.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 08 Dec 2018, 03:18

Bourbon barrel aged beers are usually winners.
king of the divan

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 08 Dec 2018, 04:59

harvey k-tel wrote:I'd love to try a Van Winkle or Stagg one of these days, but those go for ridiculous amounts of money.

We were in a fancy place on the west coast for a special occasion and they had Van Winkle behind the bar and I was drunk enough to pay for it and it was sensational. Haven’t seen it since.

In my youth, I drank a lot of Makers Mark. I don’t like it now, apart from whatever Proustian rush (or crash) it might deliver. Too spicy or sweet or something. But I’m not a demanding bourbon consumer. I’d rather drink rye or pay for a single malt. More often than not, I’m happy for the Wild Turkey 101 proof bourbon. It’s, like, $20 and delivers what I need (in the horseshoes and hand grenades world). For that price, I can keep it around and don’t mind digging into a bottle from time to tjme.

We need hookfinger or Nolamike. They pay attention to this stuff.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 14 Dec 2018, 14:33

I prefer Irish whisky over Scotch but I haven't had either in years

That Wild Turkey 101 has a way of creeping up on me so I try to avoid it, though it was the first bourbon I had since that was what my dad kept around the house (or their Rare Breed).

There's a ton of bourbon I'd like to try, but I'm not all that interested in going out of my way to find them.

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 02 Feb 2019, 16:41

$P.Muff$ wrote:That Wild Turkey 101 has a way of creeping up on me so I try to avoid it, though it was the first bourbon I had since that was what my dad kept around the house (or their Rare Breed).

My old man kept Dickel around the house! I haven’t had it in about 30 years but I suspect you could do worse.

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 02 Feb 2019, 17:25

Still Baron wrote:
harvey k-tel wrote:I'd love to try a Van Winkle or Stagg one of these days, but those go for ridiculous amounts of money.

We were in a fancy place on the west coast for a special occasion and they had Van Winkle behind the bar and I was drunk enough to pay for it and it was sensational. Haven’t seen it since.

I get emails from a US whiskey retailer, and this is the price list I received recently for Van Winkel bourbons. I mean, really:

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 02 Feb 2019, 18:00

What a world

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 03 Feb 2019, 03:04

Still Baron wrote: Wild Turkey 101 proof bourbon

With a couple of rocks it's surprisingly drinkable.
Cold War Number One: 70 years of daily national stupidity. Cold War Number Two: Still in its youth, but just as stupid. - William Blum

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 03 Feb 2019, 03:05

Jimbo wrote:
Still Baron wrote: Wild Turkey 101 proof bourbon

With a couple of rocks it's surprisingly drinkable.

It certainly works for me!

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 05 Feb 2019, 21:16

Still Baron wrote:We need hookfinger or Nolamike. They pay attention to this stuff.

You rang? :)

I agree that Bulleit is a good choice for affordable bourbon (though I do prefer their rye). In that price range, though, I usually go with the Four Roses (especially the single barrel and small batch variants, which cost just a touch more). Buffalo Trace is also around that same price range, though I prefer Four Roses.

Blanton's is probably my favorite (at least as far as things I've had bottles of at home). It's unfortunately gotten much harder to come by (especially at a reasonable price) in recent years, as the demand for bourbon has exploded.
Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.

Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 06 Feb 2019, 00:19

Funny you guys are on about Bulleit, as I just got a big 'ole 1.75 liter bottle a few days ago. That should last me a month as I usually drink red wine most evenings.
goat boy wrote:For so long now Matt has BCB defined himself as being in opposition to Coan. He’s the Batman to their Joker but they can't deal with Batman ditching the gothic gloom of Gotham for Paris in the spring.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 15 Feb 2019, 15:18

I picked up a bottle of Bulleit Rye on my way home from work yesterday. I still haven't tried it straight up, but I did have a really good Manhattan when I got home.