Let's talk bourbon

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
WG Kaspar

Let's talk bourbon

Postby WG Kaspar » 07 Dec 2018, 09:50

I'm usually a scotch person, but recently I've tried Bulleit Bourbon for the first time and was immediately taken by it. It's not going to replace my favourite single malts but it's a really nice alternative to have.
Can people recommend any other bourbons I should keep an eye on and how they usually like to have them.
Disclaimer I drink it straight with no ice or water.
I run out of talent

Powehi

Re: Let's talk bourbon

Postby Powehi » 07 Dec 2018, 10:26

More of a custard cream man myself, but each to his/her own

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 07 Dec 2018, 10:53

Bulleit makes a really good rye, too.

As for bourbon, if you want to treat yourself for the holidays (or any time), Booker's is the tops.

For mid-range, Knob Creek

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 07 Dec 2018, 14:23

Yeah, Bulleit is good - probably the best affordable bourbon out there. I'd love to try a Van Winkle or Stagg one of these days, but those go for ridiculous amounts of money.

I highly recommend Balvenie's 'doublewood' Scotch whisky. It's aged in sherry and bourbon casks, and is really nice. I might pick up a bottle around Christmas.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 08 Dec 2018, 03:18

Bourbon barrel aged beers are usually winners.
king of the divan

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 08 Dec 2018, 04:59

harvey k-tel wrote:I'd love to try a Van Winkle or Stagg one of these days, but those go for ridiculous amounts of money.

We were in a fancy place on the west coast for a special occasion and they had Van Winkle behind the bar and I was drunk enough to pay for it and it was sensational. Haven’t seen it since.

In my youth, I drank a lot of Makers Mark. I don’t like it now, apart from whatever Proustian rush (or crash) it might deliver. Too spicy or sweet or something. But I’m not a demanding bourbon consumer. I’d rather drink rye or pay for a single malt. More often than not, I’m happy for the Wild Turkey 101 proof bourbon. It’s, like, $20 and delivers what I need (in the horseshoes and hand grenades world). For that price, I can keep it around and don’t mind digging into a bottle from time to tjme.

We need hookfinger or Nolamike. They pay attention to this stuff.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 14 Dec 2018, 14:33

I prefer Irish whisky over Scotch but I haven't had either in years

That Wild Turkey 101 has a way of creeping up on me so I try to avoid it, though it was the first bourbon I had since that was what my dad kept around the house (or their Rare Breed).

There's a ton of bourbon I'd like to try, but I'm not all that interested in going out of my way to find them.

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 02 Feb 2019, 16:41

$P.Muff$ wrote:That Wild Turkey 101 has a way of creeping up on me so I try to avoid it, though it was the first bourbon I had since that was what my dad kept around the house (or their Rare Breed).

My old man kept Dickel around the house! I haven’t had it in about 30 years but I suspect you could do worse.

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 02 Feb 2019, 17:25

Still Baron wrote:
harvey k-tel wrote:I'd love to try a Van Winkle or Stagg one of these days, but those go for ridiculous amounts of money.

We were in a fancy place on the west coast for a special occasion and they had Van Winkle behind the bar and I was drunk enough to pay for it and it was sensational. Haven’t seen it since.

I get emails from a US whiskey retailer, and this is the price list I received recently for Van Winkel bourbons. I mean, really:

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 02 Feb 2019, 18:00

What a world

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 03 Feb 2019, 03:04

Still Baron wrote: Wild Turkey 101 proof bourbon

With a couple of rocks it's surprisingly drinkable.
Cold War Number One: 70 years of daily national stupidity. Cold War Number Two: Still in its youth, but just as stupid. - William Blum

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 03 Feb 2019, 03:05

Jimbo wrote:
Still Baron wrote: Wild Turkey 101 proof bourbon

With a couple of rocks it's surprisingly drinkable.

It certainly works for me!

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 05 Feb 2019, 21:16

Still Baron wrote:We need hookfinger or Nolamike. They pay attention to this stuff.

You rang? :)

I agree that Bulleit is a good choice for affordable bourbon (though I do prefer their rye). In that price range, though, I usually go with the Four Roses (especially the single barrel and small batch variants, which cost just a touch more). Buffalo Trace is also around that same price range, though I prefer Four Roses.

Blanton's is probably my favorite (at least as far as things I've had bottles of at home). It's unfortunately gotten much harder to come by (especially at a reasonable price) in recent years, as the demand for bourbon has exploded.
Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.

Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 06 Feb 2019, 00:19

Funny you guys are on about Bulleit, as I just got a big 'ole 1.75 liter bottle a few days ago. That should last me a month as I usually drink red wine most evenings.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 15 Feb 2019, 15:18

I picked up a bottle of Bulleit Rye on my way home from work yesterday. I still haven't tried it straight up, but I did have a really good Manhattan when I got home.