Questions for y’all

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Questions for y’all

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 04 Dec 2018, 15:49

Have you ever tried to make your own crisps (potato chips)? How did that go then?

Why is it so nice to have a friendly bus driver?

Are you a leaf raker or a ‘leave them where they damn well are’ person?

Which TV shows did you specifically look forward to for the intro music as opposed to the content?

Did you have a favourite childhood cuddly toy? Well don’t just sit there, tell us about it!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Rayge

Re: Questions for y’all

Postby Rayge » 04 Dec 2018, 15:59

Have you ever tried to make your own crisps (potato chips)? How did that go then?
Yep. Very well indeed, quite the best I ever had. secret was to lay the cut slices on kitchen paper and salt them to draw off moisture before deep frying.
Why is it so nice to have a friendly bus driver? I've never encountered an unfriendly one, so don't really have an opinion
Are you a leaf raker or a ‘leave them where they damn well are’ person? Depends where they are. Hate leaf blowers with a passion: I make leaf mould every year with the ones that fall on the grass, leave the ones on the beds.
Which TV shows did you specifically look forward to for the intro music as opposed to the content? None, never have.
Did you have a favourite childhood cuddly toy? Well don’t just sit there, tell us about it!I had a fair, still have several knocking about. Favourite was one of my two teddies, probably. But I haven't been a child for half a century, so I'm going to duck out of expanding on that now.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 04 Dec 2018, 16:49

Minnie Cheddars wrote:Have you ever tried to make your own crisps (potato chips)? How did that go then?

well, compared to opening a bag & shoveling them in it's a lot of work. the microwave does a quicker job than boiling oil but they aren't nearly as good.

because so many of them are not friendly. it's a breath of fresh air.

I'm a Californian and the drought has changed everything. a yard full of leaves is nicer to look at than a yard full of dirt.

Which TV shows did you specifically look forward to for the intro music as opposed to the content?
Hawaii 5-o, Streets of San Francisco, IRONSIDE!

Did you have a favourite childhood cuddly toy? Well don’t just sit there, tell us about it!
Huckleberry Hound but I don't think he was blue like he was on TV.
Give me a C, a bouncy C!

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 04 Dec 2018, 16:58

A very long time ago. We had a food processor which had an attachment which could shred potatoes to a reasonable approximation of a crisp. You had to cut them , and let them dry in the fridge for while. Frying was very difficult as they went from being under cooked to burnt in a second. we decided fairly quickly that it was not worth the effort.

Bus?

A raker. Although I don't have to worry too much as the wind usually blows all the leaves into next doors garden. I do always rake after I have cut the hedge.

Tomorrows world. Weekend world.

I did not.
You don't like me...do you?

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 04 Dec 2018, 18:32

No

He or she will wait for you if you are running to catch the bus, perhaps. Or wake you up when you have reached your bus stop.

Can't remember when I last raked leaves. I am not a garden person.

At the time, none, but in hindsight, something like Persuaders - the music has held up better than the content of the show. I was also very, very fond of Kojak.

No, none, really, Don't know why, never had the need.
1966 and all that

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 04 Dec 2018, 19:48

French fries far more times than potato chips. The secret is to dry the raw sliced potatoes before frying. I press them in kitchen towels.

I ran away from unfriendly Miami to Seattle and the bus driver who drove me from Seatac airport to downtown was the friendliest stranger I'd talked to in years. Turned out everyone is Seattle is friendly. It's the friendliest place I'd ever been in America.

If Dad says rake I'd better rake.

Bonanza.

I guess I must have wanted it and so Mom got it for me but it was this cute beagle dog doll with one problem, its tail. The thing was hard, straight up and down. The rest of the dog was soft but that tail would poke when I held it. I tried bending it but it was still stiff. (Insert jerk off joke here.)
Some say the glass is half-empty others half-full. I say. "Lemme see that glass!"

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 04 Dec 2018, 20:11

I seem to recall trying at least once, and I'm pretty sure the result was a semi-flaccid, burnt-around-the-edges piece of crap.

I guess it's nice to know that someone is enjoying their job, or at least pretending that they do. They must put up with untold amounts of shit during their day, so for some it may be a coping mechanism, or maybe they're about to go off shift for a three-week vacation!

I rake 'em. Our back yard is half-and-half pea gravel and wooden deck, and if I left them they'd just turn into slippery mush. One thing I didn't consider when we got our Honey Locust tree for the backyard was how annoying it would be to deal with its tiny little leaves when they fell in autumn (and it's been a really wet autumn too, which has compounded the annoyance). Maybe I'll try vacuuming next year...

Can't really think of any!

I had a bunch of stuffed animals, but brown bear was the best. He originally had a wind-up music box inside him, but the fabric on his back got worn out, and so my mom had to perform surgery on him to remove the music box and patch up the hole on his back with some red corduroy.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 05 Dec 2018, 03:42

No, but it's something i've been intrigued by and in the back of my mind have always wanted to try. I'm not much of a cook, but i will give this a go at some point.

It makes commuting nice to see a smiling face when you get on the bus. I used to take a minibus from my home to my school for about 5 years here in HK, and despite having dozens of scowling, grumpy minibus drivers, the only one i clearly remember was the friendly old stick who used to greet me with a big smile and a warm "Hello, sir!" in English when i got into his bus. Always made me happy to see him in the driver's seat as it was approaching.
For those who haven't been to HK, a minibus looks like this...

20% leaf raker, 80% enjoy/accept them where they are. It depends on how they look, and how much free time i've got too.

The Banana Splits and Welcome Back, Kotter.

Henry, my panda toy buddy, who i got when i was just a few years old. God only knows why i called him Henry, but there you go. My sis recently sent me a old photo of us in the backyard of our Clayton, Melbourne home from the mid-70s, and i couldn't resist getting Henry out for a selfie.

The furry old rascal still looks just like he did in '75.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

mission

Postby mission » 05 Dec 2018, 05:48

There is a phenomenon where dog owners end up looking like their dogs, but, Ange, you are pushing the boat right the fuck out...
Goodness gracious me.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 05 Dec 2018, 06:27

cheeky bastard :D
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 05 Dec 2018, 14:24

:lol: :lol: :lol:
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 05 Dec 2018, 15:14

Aw Ange! Cute!

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 05 Dec 2018, 17:56

Have you ever tried to make your own crisps (potato chips)? How did that go then? not in ages but sometime in the 90's it was something we did a bunch of times. trick for me was cut them as thin as possible and I liked them with very little salt.

Well its been a lot of years but back when I took the bus to work everyday we had the same driver almost everyday and he knew to look down the street to see if I was coming. He would wait for me while the nasty ones wouldn't wait even if I was just crossing the street. Also the nasty ones would take off before you sat down.

Are you a leaf raker or a ‘leave them where they damn well are’ person?in the kid years we made trails of leaves and made leaf forts we had endless leaves. Then lived in the City where the lawn wasn't that big and few trees so we let them be as the wind took them away. Now back in the trees but live in a condo so those damn leaf blower (which I hate) guys take them away. Luckly I'm mostly at work when they do it sadly they do a lousy job and end up raking a little.

Which TV shows did you specifically look forward to for the intro music as opposed to the content?Hawaii 5-0, Green acres can't think of a modern one but I'm sure there is one?

Did you have a favourite childhood cuddly toy? Well don’t just sit there, tell us about it!nope although today I have a few angry bird stuffed animals from seaside boardwalk games.

Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 06 Dec 2018, 04:00

We'd been to see New Model Army at the Queens Hall in - 1987 I think? We staggered back to our rental house, awash with cider, and thought "how hard can making crisps be?" Well, take it from me, it's a lot harder when you start to fry the potatoes then go to bed. At 7am we awoke with our nostrils full of soot and went into the kitchen where we had set the curtains on fire but miraculously they hadn't set the rest of the kitchen alight. The pan was still roaring away, full of tiny bits of what were now very well fried potatoes. I haven't tried since.

It just is innit? I like it when you yell "thank you" as you're getting off and they wave at you with a smile.

I'm learning to be a leave them where they are person, though the damn Texan oak leaves are a bit too shiny for my liking. I've started shoving them all in the compost.

I liked the show itself but I was both intrigued, excited and scared by the music to this:

I knew bog all about Lasry et all until t'internet so I'm looking forward to exploring all that stuff.

I had a big white bear that I named Purdey after The New Avengers character. In lieu of a cat, which we only had intermittently, I cuddled that fucker to death. I remember also the casual way I disposed of her once I had got bored of her when I was about 9 or 10. It didn't bother me in the slightest, but now the memory of it pretty much cuts me in two, in a "Toy Story" way.

Dr Markus wrote:

watts

Postby watts » 06 Dec 2018, 09:20

Have you ever tried to make your own crisps (potato chips)? How did that go then? Yes. Excellent.

Why is it so nice to have a friendly bus driver? It's the difference between feeling like a sardine in a box or cog in a system and instead feeling like a passenger in a community and a member of a civilization that is socially connected and functioning well.

Are you a leaf raker or a ‘leave them where they damn well are’ person? I rake near drains, stairs and walkways. Everything else sits where it fell.

Which TV shows did you specifically look forward to for the intro music as opposed to the content? Terriers had a great opening song that I liked enough to run the intro on my DVR sometimes just to hear until I bought the Mp3. The theme from Rockford Files was similarly great however in both those cases, the show itself was the main event ditto Doctor Who. I watched Hawaii Five O, Peter Gunn, Mission Impossible and Rawhide for the intro and end themes and then tuned to something else fairly frequently as a kid. I also liked the themes for Reading Rainbow, the Monkees, Greatest American Hero, Barney Miller, Welcome Back Kotter, Sanford and Sons, the Addams Family, The Muppets, Cheers, Square Pegs, Get a Life, Malcolm in the Middle, Freaks and Geeks, The Sopranos a lot too.

Did you have a favourite childhood cuddly toy? Purple Bunny of Morocco, He was a slightly pinkish rabbit with a purple ribbon I'd got from the Mayfair by my home on Easter when I was 3. My brother invented a story game involving my stuffed animals and purple bunny was the hero of the tales, the panda was the sheik, and my kangaroo was PB's bestie in the French Foreign Legion. My brother's Dumbo was the commandant of the battalion and my skunk was a sometimes hero, sometimes baddie. Othertimes we'd play animal hospital and Purple Bunny was always the star surgeon, Panda was alreays the chief of surgery and Kanga would be the nurse. The other stuffed animals were patients, police and hospital administrators. Dumbo was the coroner. We modeled the hospital interactions off of what we watched on Emergency! Quincy MD and Medical Center as kids. Sometimes Purple Bunny and Kanga were detectives ala Dragnet or spies. He was versatile for a stuffed bunny. He even had some science fiction forays into space. Then my brother got too old to be interested in me, or my kid brother was born or something. Anyway, we stopped playing together except for D&D, 3m and Avalon Hill games and kick the can or hide and seek with the neighborhood kids after I got to be about 8 and he was 13.
--m

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 06 Dec 2018, 11:14

Minnie Cheddars wrote:I'm learning to be a leave them where they are person, though the damn Texan oak leaves are a bit too shiny for my liking. I've started shoving them all in the compost.

If you don't mind a bit of unasked for garden advice...
While tree leaves break down in compost, they don't actually add much to it's 'goodness'. What I do, having been advised to by just about every gardening prog on TV and radio, is to rake them up from everywhere except the beds, and shove them into black plastic sacks. Water the leaves down if they're not sodden already, tie the top of the bag and then stab it a few times in the base so that excess moisture can strain out, and stash the bags somewhere out of sight for at least six months, maybe a year, by which time you will have leaf mould, a fibrous substance that makes a great medium for growing bulbs in pots, for adding to any planting hole to give plants a good root run, or improving soil texture generally.
Of course, this is in the UK, and may not apply in TX, in which case, as you were :)
Last edited by Rayge on 06 Dec 2018, 16:31, edited 1 time in total.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 06 Dec 2018, 15:26

Unsolicited Garden Advice is up there as a working title for my long awaited EP!

Dr Markus wrote:

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 07 Dec 2018, 18:31

Rarely watched the show, but loved the music, especially the drum fill at the end:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 08 Dec 2018, 10:30

Er, no. Not really much of a chef.

So he won't kick you out his bus when you vomited all over yourself after a big night out?

I\m a raker but not by design....living in an area where there is a mild possibility of snakes cuddling up underneath the low growths and leaves of my front yard forces me to get rid of them.

Dr. Who fascinated me as a 7-year old for the theme music but the content was at times a bit too scary for me. Old shit like The Persuaders live only on for the theme music. Terrific tune.

Did you have a favourite childhood cuddly toy?

Had a few but one survived the cull- a plastic type of poodle (I guess) called Pasha.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.