hounds people off the board
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

board names/avatars/signatures

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 04 Dec 2018, 15:23

Who has the best board name?
Who has the worst board name?
Who has the best avatar?
Who has the worst avatar?
Who FOR THE LOVE OF GOD do you wish would change their board name/avatar/signature?
Whose name/avatar/signature do you need explaining?
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

Rayge

Re: board names/avatars/signatures

Postby Rayge » 04 Dec 2018, 15:51

Who has the best board name? - They keep changing don't they? I'm going to say Darkness fish, who's carried that name through several boards and more than a decade without ever explaining it
Who has the worst board name? - They keep changing don't they? I'm going to say C
Who has the best avatar? - Ragye
Who has the worst avatar? - currently, Robert (see below). Mike Boom.
Who FOR THE LOVE OF GOD do you wish would change their board name/avatar/signature? Anyone with a fucking GIF for an avatar. Anyone (Copehead and Corporate Whore for two) who embeds an image in their signature. Of course, putting someone on ignore means you never have to look at their avatar or read their sig again.
Whose name/avatar/signature do you need explaining? - Need is a strong word, but would be mildly interested in just about everybody who isn't named after a musician, or has a variation on their birth name. Yomp most notably. Rother. Solarskope of blessed memory. Gash. Penk. Goat Boy. And most of yours. I'd also like to know who that is in Min's avatar
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 04 Dec 2018, 18:29

Rayge wrote:Whose name/avatar/signature do you need explaining? - Need is a strong word, but would be mildly interested in just about everybody who isn't named after a musician, or has a variation on their birth name. Yomp most notably. Rother. Solarskope of blessed memory. Gash. Penk. Goat Boy. And most of yours. I'd also like to know who that is in Min's avatar

'Goat Boy' is a reference to Bill Hicks.

'Penk' is some old comedy DJ or something, apparently the name just grabbed without much thought

'Gash' might be a Derek and Clive reference

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 04 Dec 2018, 18:33

Rayge wrote: I'd also like to know who that is in Min's avatar

It's Little Edie from the documentary film 'Grey Gardens'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_Gardens
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 04 Dec 2018, 18:52

SWIMMING POOL HARRINGTON wrote:
Rayge wrote:Whose name/avatar/signature do you need explaining? - Need is a strong word, but would be mildly interested in just about everybody who isn't named after a musician, or has a variation on their birth name. Yomp most notably. Rother. Solarskope of blessed memory. Gash. Penk. Goat Boy. And most of yours. I'd also like to know who that is in Min's avatar

'Goat Boy' is a reference to Bill Hicks.

'Penk' is some old comedy DJ or something, apparently the name just grabbed without much thought

'Gash' might be a Derek and Clive reference

harvey k-tel wrote:
Rayge wrote: I'd also like to know who that is in Min's avatar

It's Little Edie from the documentary film 'Grey Gardens'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_Gardens

Thank you both.
Yomptepi anyone?

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 04 Dec 2018, 19:01

SWIMMING POOL HARRINGTON wrote:'Penk' is some old comedy DJ or something, apparently the name just grabbed without much thought

Yeah, Steve Penk, a TV/radio presenter. He was on TV in the background when I first signed up to Mojo if I recall rightly. I couldn't name anything he hosted, I just remember thinking his name was amusing (I've never heard of anyone else called Penk).
GoogaMooga wrote:
Minnie Cheddars wrote:Baron got into a fight with some Satan’s Slaves over some culinary issue

Awful thing when that happens. I had a similar experience at a Tom Jones concert.

Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 04 Dec 2018, 19:29

Rayge wrote:Yomptepi anyone?

Haven't a clue. It always sounded Turkish to me - like Topkapi (Palace)

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 04 Dec 2018, 19:40

YOMPTEPI is an acronym, but I can't remember what for. I think the first three letters might have been "Your Old Mate"
Jimbo wrote:My point is to save the world from WWIII.

Jimbo wrote:Trump is right. The collusion conspiracy theory has been debunked and you seem to refuse to look at the evidence.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017 2018!!

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 04 Dec 2018, 19:44

Who has the best board name? - Harvey K-Tel because K-Tel is the mark of Kwality!
Who has the worst board name? - everybody gets a trophy just for participating!
Who has the best avatar? - sloopjohnc because it has not only El Kabong but his trusty Kabonger as well.
Who has the worst avatar? etc... -refreshments are now being served in the lobby.

Rayge wrote:Who FOR THE LOVE OF GOD do you wish would change their board name/avatar/signature? Anyone with a fucking GIF for an avatar.,,,

this would be me. the tail waggy space dog runs circles around the not tail waggy space dog. I like it even better now that I know it pisses somebody off.
Give me a C, a bouncy C!

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 04 Dec 2018, 19:51

toomanyhatz wrote:YOMPTEPI is an acronym, but I can't remember what for. I think the first three letters might have been "Your Old Mate"

It is. I remember Plaxico once badgered for ages for me to tell him what it meant. So I told him , and he said he wished I hadn't bothered. So I won't.
You don't like me...do you?

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 04 Dec 2018, 19:54

Sneelock wrote:
Rayge wrote:Who FOR THE LOVE OF GOD do you wish would change their board name/avatar/signature? Anyone with a fucking GIF for an avatar.,,,

this would be me. the tail waggy space dog runs circles around the not tail waggy space dog. I like it even better now that I know it pisses somebody off.

Oh, not at all, Snee. Adorable doggie. Come to think of it, would be a candidate for my favourite avatar.
I had in mind eyesnaggers, usually made from a two second shot of someone famous or infamous making a movement on incessant repeat. Dog doesn't repeat, he just goes. At least his tail does. You'll never fail if you wag your tail, as I tell Scrap on a regular basis :D

Sorry to piss on your enjoying pissing somebody off parade ;)

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 04 Dec 2018, 20:07

:lol: easy come, easy go!
Give me a C, a bouncy C!

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 04 Dec 2018, 20:13

SWIMMING POOL HARRINGTON wrote:Who has the best board name?

I think the answer to both of these is John Coan. You've had some classics and some turds. The Science Eel is still the one that feels most "official".
GoogaMooga wrote:
Minnie Cheddars wrote:Baron got into a fight with some Satan’s Slaves over some culinary issue

Awful thing when that happens. I had a similar experience at a Tom Jones concert.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 04 Dec 2018, 20:14

yeah, that's true. I'll make his participation trophy bigger and of better stuff than the others.
Give me a C, a bouncy C!

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 04 Dec 2018, 21:00

Who has the best avatar? - slightbreeze

:)

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 04 Dec 2018, 21:42

Coan had a highly original one a long time ago, but I don't remember the exact wording. Something like "Ivory Coast expat layabout".
Yomptepi just sounds good, would never have guessed it was an acronym.

Best avatar - Yomptepi
1966 and all that

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 04 Dec 2018, 21:53

PENK wrote:
SWIMMING POOL HARRINGTON wrote:Who has the best board name?

I think the answer to both of these is John Coan. You've had some classics and some turds. The Science Eel is still the one that feels most "official".

The last one he had, using his current avatar, had me laughing like an idiot. I wish I could remember what it was...
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 04 Dec 2018, 22:05

So who are the ones who've kept the same board name for the entire history of the board? I came aboard late, but I've always had the same name outside of the Christmas spinoffs. Slider? Diamond Dog? Sloopjohnc? harvey k-tel? I feel like most everybody has had multiples.
Jimbo wrote:My point is to save the world from WWIII.

Jimbo wrote:Trump is right. The collusion conspiracy theory has been debunked and you seem to refuse to look at the evidence.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017 2018!!

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 04 Dec 2018, 22:07

Sloop changed avatar at least once, before going back to Quickdraw McGraw.
1966 and all that

Robert

Postby Robert » 04 Dec 2018, 22:14

Rayge wrote:Who has the best board name? - They keep changing don't they? I'm going to say Darkness fish, who's carried that name through several boards and more than a decade without ever explaining it
Who has the worst board name? - They keep changing don't they? I'm going to say C
Who has the best avatar? - Ragye
Who has the worst avatar? - currently, Robert (see below). Mike Boom.
Who FOR THE LOVE OF GOD do you wish would change their board name/avatar/signature? Anyone with a fucking GIF for an avatar. Anyone (Copehead and Corporate Whore for two) who embeds an image in their signature. Of course, putting someone on ignore means you never have to look at their avatar or read their sig again.
Whose name/avatar/signature do you need explaining? - Need is a strong word, but would be mildly interested in just about everybody who isn't named after a musician, or has a variation on their birth name. Yomp most notably. Rother. Solarskope of blessed memory. Gash. Penk. Goat Boy. And most of yours. I'd also like to know who that is in Min's avatar

Mmmm, the smell of righteous old men raising their tiny fists at the clouds....