George H.W. Bush has passed away

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Davey the Fat Boy

George H.W. Bush has passed away

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 01 Dec 2018, 05:37

The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Re: George H.W. Bush has passed away

Postby Snarfyguy » 01 Dec 2018, 05:49

I have to admit I wasn't paying a lot of attention to national politics when he was president, but I never minded him that much, especially compared to that idiot son of his and the shit show we have now.

By our current, degraded standards he was a model statesman.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 01 Dec 2018, 07:06

Too soon?

Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

caramba

Postby caramba » 01 Dec 2018, 08:54

A classic one-term president if ever there was one. Anyway, RIP Mr Bush

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 01 Dec 2018, 10:28

An inept president who rode in on Reagan's coattails - his legacy will be helping to usher in Bill Clinton and 8 years of so-called 'centrist' Democratic policy that sold out a vast majority of middle America more effectively than any Republican could have ever dreamed or hoped for.

driftin

Postby driftin » 01 Dec 2018, 11:15

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 01 Dec 2018, 12:27

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 01 Dec 2018, 12:39

I remember him for taking on Saddam and also the bad sushi incident, which I see P.Muffs beat me to. Then there was Barbara Bush and her "quality time" and family values. President Bush worked towards a New World Order. Agree with it or not, the man had a vision.
1966 and all that

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 01 Dec 2018, 14:53

I don't think he was the greatest President, but he sure did span some important times and had interesting career: Naval flier, Congressman, CIA Director, Ambassador to China, VP and President.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 01 Dec 2018, 16:31

Dorothy Parker, on hearing Calvin Coolidge had died: 'How could they tell?'
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

caramba

Postby caramba » 01 Dec 2018, 16:37

Posted in error

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 01 Dec 2018, 18:18

In her once-familiar role as the candidate’s wife during the 1992 presidential campaign, she referred to President George H.W. Bush’s four years in office as a “failure of leadership” on the stump. Hillary even said in an interview with Vanity Fair that year that a wealthy Atlanta businesswoman had told her about an alleged affair that her husband’s rival, George H.W. Bush, had had with a close aide. It’s all “apparently well known in Washington,” she said slyly. Hillary was referring to Jennifer Fitzgerald, with whom Bush was rumored to have had a romantic relationship for years. “I’m convinced part of it is that the Establishment—regardless of party—sticks together. They’re gonna circle the wagons on Jennifer,” she said. The Clinton campaign was trying its best to make sure the story of Bush’s alleged affair was exposed, and the Bush campaign was furious that the Clintons were planting the story.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/04/first-ladies-campaign-trail-history-213806

In 1992, while working as a member of the White House press pool for CNN, she questioned then-president George H.W. Bush at a White House news conference about never-proven allegations of adulterous behavior, which had been reported by the New York Post.[4] President Bush replied: "I'm not going to take any sleazy questions like that from CNN."

Bush spokesman Marlin Fitzwater later said that Tillotson "will never work around the White House again," The New York Times reported.[4]

Early on the morning of the news conference, August 11, 1992, editors at CNN's Atlanta headquarters faxed Tillotson, who was working with other reporters at the Bush family compound in Kennebunkport, Maine, a copy of the New York Post story alleging Bush's extramarital affair.

Bush and Democratic rival Bill Clinton were in the midst of an intense presidential campaign, and the Bush re-election staff often mused aloud (though not for attribution) that Clinton was not suitable for the Oval Office because of questions about "family values," his "character," and his reputation as an adulterer.

Reporters attending the Kennebunkport news conference were herded behind a rope line. Before the news conference, one of spokesman Fitzwater's young press office assistants walked the rope line asking which reporter might ask about the Post story.

Before Tillotson was called on, several other reporters received a so-called "Presidential Point"—meaning a question was allowed. They all asked about Middle East politics. When Mr. Bush nodded in Tillotson's direction, she asked if the president, given the importance his campaign placed on "family values," wouldn't like to respond to the New York Post story. Mr. Bush, as quoted above, excoriated Tillotson and CNN for the "sleazy" question.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Tillotson

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 01 Dec 2018, 19:10

$P.Muff$ wrote:An inept president who rode in on Reagan's coattails - his legacy will be helping to usher in Bill Clinton and 8 years of so-called 'centrist' Democratic policy that sold out a vast majority of middle America more effectively than any Republican could have ever dreamed or hoped for.

In case anyone was wondering who Jimbo’s secret-admirer-via-PM is...
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 01 Dec 2018, 19:53

I went for brevity. It was early - didn't feel the need to add his useless son to his 'legacy' as well, the man had just died fer Chrissakes!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 01 Dec 2018, 20:45

He was instrumental in passing the ADA too.

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 01 Dec 2018, 22:44

He seems to be getting as pass because he lived to be a jolly old man and he isn't Trump. The ADA is a good thing, sure, woohoo. I believe the local university library restrooms became compliant several years ago. Progress.

Flower

Postby Flower » 02 Dec 2018, 13:16

And now he doesn't have to eat his broccoli ever again.

R.I.P. GHWB
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 02 Dec 2018, 15:54

Ah right Muffs is the American Griff.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 03 Dec 2018, 16:46

I thought this was a rather poignant photo of the President's dog in front of his casket.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 03 Dec 2018, 17:00

that's a great picture.
did NBC really air his last breath? if so, that's ghastly. if not, it's just a matter of time.

I have some pretty strong feelings about George Herbert-Walker Bush. My gut feeling when people die is to err on the side of compassion. you can't walk in somebody else's shoes so when the human candle is snuffed out - this doesn't really seem like the time to trash talk anybody.

Having said that, I think the way our 24/7 News Cycle works has made my way of looking at these things a little out of date. the way the passing of somebody of note is covered in the news seems to be becoming the indelible stamp they have for posterity. Take for instance when Ronald Wilson Reagan died. the general message when he died was that "he made America feel good about itself again" Despite the immediate efforts of opinion writers to remind people that this was a simplistic way of looking at RWR's career, to my way of thinking, the damage is done. that is more or less the collective recollection of Reagan -- simplistic or not.

So, 41 passes and something similar happens. he was "a gentleman" compared to Trump but Holy Shit, the guys who dig through my garbage for recycling are gentlemen compared to Trump.

I'm not saying they should be talking about Operation Condor or anything. I'm just saying that, since this is the way we are going to remember him for posterity - at least for a while - something more is needed.

I notice a certain amount of discussion about the Willie Horton ad. I guess that's what I'm talking about. I hope we can get to a point where we can take one from column A (He wrote Clinton a nice letter) and one out of column B (pardoning the Iran Contra Crew).

When notable people pass they leave history behind. the way our Media chooses to remember them is doing history no favors.

Yeah, 41 was a nice guy compared to Trump but is there nothing to be learned from his mistakes? you can bet your ASS when Jimmy Carter dies they'll talk about mistakes.
Last edited by Sneelock on 04 Dec 2018, 06:04, edited 1 time in total.
Give me a C, a bouncy C!