Why were you guys so mean to that Markus fella?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Re: Why were you guys so mean to that Markus fella?

Postby PENK » 28 Nov 2018, 14:21

$P.Muff$ wrote:Well, like I said, I had been curious about it for a while, even when I was using my original account and he still posted. People were always being a dick to him for no apparent reason other than that they seemed to think he wasn't worthy of their intellectual prowess. Last night I took a look at the basketball thread and, well, here we are.

Satisfied?

I was "a dick" to Markus on a few occasions but like Goat Boy says above, this was because he had a habit of making stupid or borderline offensive statements then backing out of any genuine debate and playing the victim card if anybody called him out on it.

Plus he really really needed to proofread his posts - for basic comprehensibility, not just a few poor spellings, idioms or grammatical errors - before just hitting the submit button, and his failure/refusal to do so just got irritating after a while.

But he did also have a sense of humour and seemed genuinely curious about the world around him, and I think perhaps some of what we took as wind-ups were actually just him being naive.
Last edited by PENK on 28 Nov 2018, 14:29, edited 1 time in total.
GoogaMooga wrote:
Minnie Cheddars wrote:Baron got into a fight with some Satan’s Slaves over some culinary issue

Awful thing when that happens. I had a similar experience at a Tom Jones concert.

Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings
hounds people off the board
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 28 Nov 2018, 14:22

yep
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 28 Nov 2018, 14:24

Like GB said, Markus was a pretty easy target, with his abuses of grammar, bizarre logical reasoning and penchant for "debate" (god, he just fukcing loved a bit of "debate", didn't he?). I personally found him in turns infuriating, hilarious, genuinely inquisitive and moronic, and depending on my mood I'd sometimes try to bait him or just play along for laughs. I never really disliked the guy, and I wish he was still here, but he was a real piece of work.
Last edited by harvey k-tel on 28 Nov 2018, 16:22, edited 1 time in total.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 28 Nov 2018, 16:01

Thanks for the informative posts, guys - makes a lot more sense to me now.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 28 Nov 2018, 16:22

Goat Boy wrote:He was also quite a stubborn debater who very rarely backed down from a position regardless of the strength of the other person/s arguments or the evidence to the contrary.

:lol:

You should've seen him on the NBA thread in sporting life. I'd counter his criticisms or positions with stats and pretty good hoops knowledge, but he'd rarely back down from his position.

I overlooked his grammar and punctuation quirks, for the most part. Some of his posts were like translating Esperanto, but if I got the gist of what he was trying to write, it was no big deal.

First off, Mark didn't have much loyalty to the people on here. He never got that people could become such good friends from just a music forum. But I think he had a pretty good stable of friends where he was and who he grew up with at so didn't need the camaraderie of this place. I kinda get that.

I tried reaching out on Facebook, but his responses have been very perfunctory. Until he quit responding. I might message him about some benign hoops thing, but he even quit responding to that. We're still Facebook friends, but his posts crop up very infrequently on my feed.

For his sake, I hope his job is going well and he's found a woman, because I take it most of his friends were attached or married as they were getting older. After his dad died, I know he was taking care of his mom more, so I think it's probably more about priorities than anything. I also think he'd just had enough.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 28 Nov 2018, 16:28

Ach, fuck him then
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 28 Nov 2018, 16:34

sloopjohnc wrote:I might message him about some benign hoops thing, but he even quit responding to that.

he probably didn't have a clue what you were talking about :P

Revolver

Postby Revolver » 28 Nov 2018, 17:02

Unrelated to the original post I know, but...

I'm a long time lurker on here, (I deleted my original account for personal confidentiality reasons) but I don't have a clue about most of the rivalries, fallings out, arguments, feuds, alliances, flounces, and the general Game of Thrones vibe around this place.

I'd love someone to put together a timeline, so the rest of us can understand the latest fallout.

Crowdfunding? :)

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 28 Nov 2018, 17:04

The Bulfine Papers (1917) wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:I might message him about some benign hoops thing, but he even quit responding to that.

he probably didn't have a clue what you were talking about :P

Mark was an Orlando Magic fan which made his love of the sport dubious from the get-go.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 28 Nov 2018, 17:43

I thought he was a cock personally.

Soz if you come back to read this.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 28 Nov 2018, 18:53

PENK wrote:
$P.Muff$ wrote:Well, like I said, I had been curious about it for a while, even when I was using my original account and he still posted. People were always being a dick to him for no apparent reason other than that they seemed to think he wasn't worthy of their intellectual prowess. Last night I took a look at the basketball thread and, well, here we are.

Satisfied?

I was "a dick" to Markus on a few occasions but like Goat Boy says above, this was because he had a habit of making stupid or borderline offensive statements then backing out of any genuine debate and playing the victim card if anybody called him out on it.

Plus he really really needed to proofread his posts - for basic comprehensibility, not just a few poor spellings, idioms or grammatical errors - before just hitting the submit button, and his failure/refusal to do so just got irritating after a while.

But he did also have a sense of humour and seemed genuinely curious about the world around him, and I think perhaps some of what we took as wind-ups were actually just him being naive.

This, more or less.

The most annoying thing he did was to ask a question he had no interest in the answer to and claim he was just trying to stimulate 'debate.'

You can only inform someone of the existence of Google so many times.

I think he's essentially a decent sort, and I hope he's well. But I never felt I was 'picking on him' for the sake of it. Honestly, not once.
Jimbo wrote:My point is to save the world from WWIII.

Jimbo wrote:Trump is right. The collusion conspiracy theory has been debunked and you seem to refuse to look at the evidence.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017 2018!!

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 28 Nov 2018, 19:06

Yeah. I don’t think I ever picked on him either. But he was frustrating to debate with, because he’d hold onto his “right to have his own opinions” long after every point of his was debunked by multiple people. He wouldn’t offer any arguments for why he was still holding on to his opinions. He’d just state his right to do so and ignore whatever evidence was presented to him.

He also had begun posting an increasing number of frustratingly weak threads clearly derived from right-wing memes. These weren’t legitimate points of conservative debate, but rather, the kinds of logic you get from your crazy-uncle’s email forwards. A lot of his threads were tedious.

But as a guy...he seemed affable and nice. I don’t think we ever had any words that got personal.
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 28 Nov 2018, 19:24

He used to use two prepositions next to each other. Normally you can't do that*

*apart from in phrases like look out of the window

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 28 Nov 2018, 19:27

He also had begun posting an increasing number of frustratingly weak threads clearly derived from right-wing memes. These weren’t legitimate points of conservative debate, but rather, the kinds of logic you get from your crazy-uncle’s email forwards.

That was when I got a bit fed up with him.

I'm not sure I responded in the right way to him every time. But hey, it's a discussion board and if he sometimes pushed my buttons, he sometimes got responded to by someone whose buttons had been pushed.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 28 Nov 2018, 19:49

If someone talks enough shit then one way or another finally we'll run 'em out of town.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 28 Nov 2018, 19:51

...and onto CaB.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...yet it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce, didn't it?

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 28 Nov 2018, 19:52

PENK wrote:Plus he really really needed to proofread his posts - for basic comprehensibility, not just a few poor spellings, idioms or grammatical errors

Positive Passion wrote:Along tose lines, Joe Jackson released a live album with three different versions of is she really going out with him? Recorde at different phases of his early career.

:o

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 28 Nov 2018, 19:52

clive gash wrote:...and onto CaB.

where they'll continue but be roundly ignored

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 28 Nov 2018, 19:54

The Bulfine Papers (1917) wrote:If someone talks enough shit then one way or another finally we'll run 'em out of town.

If that were true, your worthless ass would have been ousted over ten years ago.
John Coan wrote:I've lived in many different countries in Europe and whenever I come home I think 'England is the best'

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 28 Nov 2018, 19:59

Ass ousted! I bet you can't say that after 8 pm, Matty!