Holiday decorations thread (and other stuff if you want)

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
sloopjohnc

Holiday decorations thread (and other stuff if you want)

Postby sloopjohnc » 27 Nov 2018, 22:44

Since the kids have been small, we've decorated for Xmas the day after Thanksgiving or that Saturday. A couple weeks ago, my son and I were in a crafts store for some reason (probably looking for appliques for my sleeveless t-shirt designs) and I came across the fake trees.

Last year, my son and I went out and I got me and the ex trees. Besides lugging the things into two places (I live on third floor), setting them up and cleaning up the pine needles from my car, and lugging them out after the holidays, I was kinda sick of it and the fake trees looked nice so I suggested them for the both of us. The ex agreed (even though she does no work besides decorating).

I went down on Black Friday around 8:30 and there was hardly anyone in the store so I bought two. I put hers up first and it took like 10 minutes and the trees already have lights on them.

After, I did my apartment. Yes, there's no pine smell, but that's okay. Later on that day, I was putting on ornaments and I said to myself, "Boy, this tree is already really dry," forgetting I'd bought a fake one.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

$P.Muff$

Re: Holiday decorations thread (and other stuff if you want)

Postby $P.Muff$ » 28 Nov 2018, 00:18

I've never been one to decorate or anything but I had been enjoying getting gifts for my friends' kids the past few years. This year I really feel like bailing on it all. Every time we get together now some tedious political discussion occurs and I end up regretting attending. My buddy is kinda the stereotypical centrist dad, and to be completely honest, he bores the shit outta me these days. Perhaps the feeling is mutual. I'm ok with that. I do love his kids, but his 9-year-old son is constantly playing Minecraft and his almost 13-year-old daughter, well, is almost 13, so she has other stuff going on. I got her the complete 'Daria' series last year which went over well.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 28 Nov 2018, 07:57

The Christmas tree goes up on the 15th of December this year. Whilst I see the closeness of Thanksgiving to December as an excuse for Americans to put up their trees early, that sort of shit doesn't cut with me. The later the better, because really, it is about the 12 days of Xmas.

We get a real one from a sustainable wood about 15 miles from where we live and make a day of it; we have lunch and hot chocolate where we get the tree, spend the afternoon decorating it with the first play of the Xmas playlist and then crack out some fizz and steak to finish off the day with. We always add a decoration or two each year and by this time I'll have had a gander over my late Dad's collection to see if there are any of his to keep. It's a big day for our family and the whole Xmas period is one of tradition - we have a whole load we keep and add to each year.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 28 Nov 2018, 08:09

My Christmas lasts three days, 24-26th, in which I play the seasonal CDs and eat good food. On the 26th we have a little get-together with tree and pressies for the niece and nephew.
1966 and all that

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 28 Nov 2018, 08:10

Our tree is real, with live candles and a bucket of water just in case.
1966 and all that

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 28 Nov 2018, 15:00

Toby wrote:The Christmas tree goes up on the 15th of December this year. Whilst I see the closeness of Thanksgiving to December as an excuse for Americans to put up their trees early, that sort of shit doesn't cut with me. The later the better, because really, it is about the 12 days of Xmas.

:ugeek: Traditionally the twelve days of Christmas are 25th December through to 5th January :ugeek:
A kid swapping a fishing rod for a Dr. Feelgood album.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 28 Nov 2018, 16:45

$P.Muff$ wrote:I got her the complete 'Daria' series last year which went over well.

My daughter's 22 and loved Daria.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 28 Nov 2018, 16:49

Toby wrote:The Christmas tree goes up on the 15th of December this year. Whilst I see the closeness of Thanksgiving to December as an excuse for Americans to put up their trees early, that sort of shit doesn't cut with me. The later the better, because really, it is about the 12 days of Xmas.

We get a real one from a sustainable wood about 15 miles from where we live and make a day of it; we have lunch and hot chocolate where we get the tree, spend the afternoon decorating it with the first play of the Xmas playlist and then crack out some fizz and steak to finish off the day with. We always add a decoration or two each year and by this time I'll have had a gander over my late Dad's collection to see if there are any of his to keep. It's a big day for our family and the whole Xmas period is one of tradition - we have a whole load we keep and add to each year.

When I was younger, we used to drive up to the Santa Cruz Mtns. and cut down our tree from a tree farm. I remember constantly asking, "Are we there yet?"

After, we'd go to this little amusement park on the other side of the mountain range, at the foot of the mountain, called Santa's Village. Like every kid, Santa scared the shit out of me at that place and my first memory is refusing to sit on his lap.

Stille Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Stille Baron » 02 Dec 2018, 20:37

My father is a master decorator and Christmas in our house was always special. He always had a very arty, sleek Christmas tree with white lights, even back in the 70s. I didn't understand it and wanted something more gaudy, or at least typical of what you see in most places, with colored lights and colorful decorations, and icicles or tinsel or whatever. So, since he was into it, I always got my own tree, which was kept upstairs on the landing of the stairs. So I was the repository of inherited, colorful ornaments, and my dad would buy things for me to go on my tree. It got to be a hassle when I was a teenager, so my little brother (11 years younger) took it over. I still have everything and inherited some of my parents' ornaments after they divorced (including white hippie doves), and my grandmother's predominately red ornaments (including red cardinals). And now we also have some of Min's ornaments as well. I do a pretty good tree, though it's nowhere near the artistry of my dad's tree. We typically buy the tree earlier in December than I'd like, but if you wait too long, no good ones are available. I'm also obsessed with incandescent C-7 lights, and I'd wanted to put some on our roof now that we have our own place. But all of that is moot because this is a UK XMAS year, so there's no real point in going to the time and expense of doing any of it. I doubt I'll even bother with the Moravian advent star that we normally hang outside the front door.

But it's something I enjoy. Christmas has always been special, and unpacking the ornaments and putting things up is always a really emotional and happy experience. Doing it every two years probably makes it better. We're definitely looking forward to UK Christmas!
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

The Red Nosed Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Nosed Heifer » 03 Dec 2018, 01:16

My family's done a real tree precisely once. I don't think my mum could handle the shedding. Fake all the way baby! My wife has decided she wants to do different colour schemes every year, which is fine, but she isn't the one who has to log in 8 boxes of decorations from the shed is she?
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 03 Dec 2018, 16:44

I have to take a photo of our little one bedroom, but my son loves decorating the Xmas tree. Always has. I almost thinks he likes it better since we got divorced because he gets to decorate two, one at his mom's and the one we share. I don't know how we started, but we have some of those miniature figurines, buildings, trucks, etc., to make a Xmas town. He loves putting a little fake snow and setting them up. Ours is on top of a file cabinet this year.

I have a string of lights out on our little deck and the place is decorated kinda nice. This is the first year we've had a cat so that has been a little bit of a challenge with the tree - once of twice, I've found her halfway up the trunk and there have been a couple broken ornaments, but it's all good.

We used to have Xmas Eve over at my mom and dad's and my mom was meticulous with the tree, stringing individual pieces of garland on each branch and a toy train encircled it, chugging along. One of my favorite photos is of Derek sitting next to the train at my dad's place, dressed up for Xmas. I'll take a photo of the photo and post it here. He must've been three years old or so. The grandkids loved it, heck I loved it.

Derek and I were out and about this weekend and looked for another ornament we could put outside the apartment to give the place a little Xmas spirit.

Every year, we have gone down to Christmas in the Park in San Jose. My ex can't make it anymore because she has trouble walking, but the kids and I will go down there and look at the mechanical settings they have set up and the decorated trees sponsored by local organizations, and then we have lunch at Gordon Biersch, a local micro-brewery and restaurant.

Christmas in the Park

Gordon Biersch

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 05 Dec 2018, 01:23

There's only so much you can do with a one-bedroom apartment.