Spongebob creator dies - RIP

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
sloopjohnc

Spongebob creator dies - RIP

Postby sloopjohnc » 27 Nov 2018, 19:27

I can't tell you how much I enjoyed Spongebob and watched the episodes over and over with my kids when they were small. For them, it's like their Looney Tunes, my Bugs Bunny Warner Bros. cartoons. My son and daughter will still go to them for amusement. Bikini Bottom is a little sadder place.

Stephen Hillenburg, the creator of the megahit Nickelodeon cartoon series “SpongeBob SquarePants,” died on Monday. He was 57.

The cause of death was ALS, which Hillenburg revealed he had been diagnosed with in March of last year.

“We are incredibly saddened by the news that Steve Hillenburg has passed away following a battle with ALS,” Nickelodeon said in a statement. “He was a beloved friend and long-time creative partner to everyone at Nickelodeon, and our hearts go out to his entire family. Steve imbued ‘SpongeBob SquarePants’ with a unique sense of humor and innocence that has brought joy to generations of kids and families everywhere. His utterly original characters and the world of Bikini Bottom will long stand as a reminder of the value of optimism, friendship and the limitless power of imagination.”

Hillenburg graduated from Humboldt State University in 1984 with a bachelor’s degree in Natural Resource Planning and Interpretation, with an emphasis on marine resources. He then became a marine biology teacher at the Orange County Marine Institute (now the Ocean Institute) in Dana Point, California. This interest, combined with his artistic talent and love of the sea and its creatures, led him to write and illustrate stories as teaching tools with characters that would later become the denizens of SpongeBob’s home, Bikini Bottom.

That same year he won an award for Best Animated Concept at the Ottawa International Animation Festival for his animated short “Wormholes”, which went on to be shown at various international animation festivals. From 1993 to 1996 he would pursue work in television as a director and writer on Nickelodeon’s series “Rocko’s Modern Life.”

From there, he began to work full-time on writing producing, and directing on the animated series that would eventually become “SpongeBob SquarePants.” The first episode aired on Nickelodeon on May 1, 1999 and the series commenced its full run on July 17 of that year. The series has aired nearly 250 episodes to date. It appealed not only to children but older viewers as well, with college students even organizing viewing parties for the show.

The series has won both U.S. and British Emmy Awards, Annie Awards, and ASACP Awards and has been dubbed or subtitled in more than 60 languages, including Urdu, Azerbaijani and Maori.

Hillenburg also wrote, produced, and directed “The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie,” which was released in 2004 and went on to gross over $140 million worldwide. Hillenburg then wrote the story for and was the executive producer of the sequel, “The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water,” in 2015.

Hillenburg — or Steve as he was known to family, friends, and fans — was born August 21, 1961, at Fort Sill in Lawton, Oklahoma. After leaving the military, his father, Kelly N. Hillenburg, Jr., became a draftsman and designer for aerospace companies. His mother Nancy taught visually impaired students.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Bent Fabric

Re: Spongebob creator dies - RIP

Postby Bent Fabric » 27 Nov 2018, 19:34

Oh, Jesus - HUGE part of our household. My boys both loved/love it, as did my niece and nephews. Really subversive and ridiculous stuff.

I can still sing that Sandy Cheeks Texas song from start to finish.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 27 Nov 2018, 19:46

Bent Fabric wrote:Oh, Jesus - HUGE part of our household. My boys both loved/love it, as did my niece and nephews. Really subversive and ridiculous stuff.

I can still sing that Sandy Cheeks Texas song from start to finish.

I used to go see the guy who does the voice of Spongebob, Tom Kenny, when he was first starting out in stand up comedy in the early '80s in San Francisco.

We used to have an album of all the Spongebob songs from the show. The Campfire Song and Gary Come Home are two of my favorites.

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 27 Nov 2018, 19:49

Yeah, a lot of musical humor - there's this almost sickeningly accurate "Don't Worry Baby" spoof about SB splitting his pants, and - of course - the use of "Ocean Man" by Ween is solid gold.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 27 Nov 2018, 23:28

SpongeBob Squarepants was the last pop culture fad that I really enjoyed.
up until just after the first movie came out the hit to shit ratio was REAL good. in the future it will be used to discuss personality types like Star trek.
He put some joy in the world, god bless him.
Last edited by Sneelock on 28 Nov 2018, 00:01, edited 1 time in total.
Give me a C, a bouncy C!

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 27 Nov 2018, 23:31

I'm sure I've mentioned this before but watching SpongeBob with a young niece was one of the most delightful things I've done in years.
she was giggling, SpongeBob was being goofy and Tiny Tim was singing. It was a marvelous moment I won't soon forget.
Last edited by Sneelock on 28 Nov 2018, 00:01, edited 1 time in total.
Give me a C, a bouncy C!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 27 Nov 2018, 23:50

I think my favorite episode, and I think it's a lot of other people's, is the Scaredy Pants episode where Squidward dresses like the Flying Dutchman ghost and the ghost is insulted by all the bad Halloween costumes of him. The Flying Dutchman thinks Spongebob's ghost costume is lame and makes him take off his sheet to find this. . .

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 28 Nov 2018, 11:27

Ah, that's a real shame :(

I think i've mentioned on here before somewhere, watching episodes of Spongebob with my kids count among the best and happiest moments of being a dad for me.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!