What value do you place on your national identity?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Re: What value do you place on your national identity?

Postby Goat Boy » 23 Nov 2018, 16:43

DRUGS SNAKE wrote:I've lived in many different countries in Europe and whenever I come home I think 'England is the best'

Really?!
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings
hounds people off the board
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 23 Nov 2018, 16:46

Yes.
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

northernsky

Postby northernsky » 23 Nov 2018, 17:17

DRUGS SNAKE wrote:I've lived in many different countries in Europe and whenever I come home I think 'England is the best'

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 23 Nov 2018, 17:26

the masked man wrote: I find many aspects of modern England deeply disappointing, in that there's a really conservative streak in English culture that fetishises a fantasy past.

Most European countries do the same thing. The Italians fetishises their Roman history, the Germans are obsessed by Teutonic myths, The French are incredibly protectionist, to the point of insularity, towards their culture.
I suppose I have a British fantasy past as well which is to do with mystics and mavericks, myths and folk customs, William Blake visions and Samuel Palmer wood cuttings of an idyllic Albion. But this is more of an act of imagination rather than a historical reality. And I'm fine with that!

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 23 Nov 2018, 17:30

Honestly. Not a lot.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 23 Nov 2018, 17:33

When Japanese come back they like for their first dish to be a bowl of soba noodles to remind them they're home. Nowhere they may have traveled has something as Japanese as this simple, healthful and delicious treat.
“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.” Mark Twain

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 23 Nov 2018, 19:42

I am Danish, born in Jutland, but left Denmark in 1967 for the first time. Lived abroad for a total of 20 years. So, since 67 I was always the "expat" or "returning expat". Later I found out I was TCK (third culture kid), but then in 1997 I returned to Denmark and settled down for good, and I found I identified less and less with that tag. I don't think I'll ever fully re-integrate, but I have come a long way, and these days I am anti-EU and a national-conservative, not to be confused with "nationalist". I love my country and think we have done rather well on the world stage, all things considered. Sure, we lost Norway, Southern Sweden, Schleswig-Holstein, Northern England, Iceland, and more, but I don't care. From the crushing defeat in 1864 we forged a new identity, summed up in the motto, "What is outwardly lost, should be inwardly won" (roughly translated).
1966 and all that

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 23 Nov 2018, 20:03

$19.99

And if you call within the next 10 minutes, I'll throw in a FREE ShamWow! Don't waste time.

1-800-CRAKAHZ

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 23 Nov 2018, 20:25

My parents (both born in other countries) met here. That seems like the long and short of it.

I don't reckon there's anything in my actual character that would entitle me to puff out my chest and say "That thing that you like? THAT'S my patented, provincial Americanism, you fuckers!". Whatever it is that I am, I suspect very little of it comes from the place I live.

I like a fair bit about it, and dislike a fair bit about it. It seems like "home", of course, and I do enjoy my favorite habits, amenities and comforts when I return from travelling - but, my wife can show texts from any number of places I've visited which simply read "Can we move here?"

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 23 Nov 2018, 23:51

I'm very proud to be Canadian. I really love this country.

My Mother was born and raised in the US. Part of me is kinda proud of that, but of course since Trump got elected, there are a lot of people who are embarrassed to be American. I loved living there, and there are many things about it I will always love. But I wouldn't trade the peaceful security of Canada to live in the US again, even if it does feel like home when I'm there.

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 24 Nov 2018, 10:51

It's kind of a wrestle to what I exactly feel, being here for almost 20 years now. Most of what I feel are my strong points are not linked to my nationality (Dutch) but to my upbringing and personal development. I guess that in the Netherlands I was used to being ruthlessly honest as that is a trait being favored there and something that I don't see as prevalent here.
Most of what drew me here was the 'no worries mate'-approach to life here and that is somehow seeping into me, although in my professional life it sort of equates in me working my ass off and seeing people around me just skating away with doing the barest of minimum efforts.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 24 Nov 2018, 14:30

It's very early on Saturday, but I'm more proud of being Californian than strictly American since I live in a pretty progressive state.

I'm less proud of our stance on gun control, our international arrogance built on our economic and military strength, institutional racism, and other stuff like that.

I am proud, that while the system is still rigged by income inequality and other stuff, every once in awhile, people can rise up with a combo of smarts and determination despite their origins, and really do what they want and stake a claim in this society.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 24 Nov 2018, 20:32

Useless generations, dumb flag scum
Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Fuck Off

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 26 Nov 2018, 09:51

Value? I think it depends how you interpret that. I don't think that being English makes me "naturally" better or worse than a Swede, or a Belgian, or a Turk, or a Korean, or a Peruvian, or whoever.

Maybe a Frenchman.

On the other hand...

Are national borders "arbitrary" and "meaningless"? Perhaps. In many cases. It's hard to escape the fact that in Britain, there are very natural borders. And in other countries, well, they did originate with different groups of people who had different ideas and indeed cultures separating themselves from one another. Those borders are long since gone, but the idea remains and still applies in many places, although of course in others it has become much more problematic: witness the messiness in the Balkans with the various different peoples intermingling, for example.

And one thing that, I think, strengthens English or British national identity is that we've had a pretty damn consistent border, for the thousandish years since the Normans floated over and took their inventory of cows and brambles and rakes. That's allowed for the development of a very strong national identity, bursting with history, culture, language and thought. Elsewhere, you don't really get the same. Mainland Europe has too fluid borders. North America and Australia haven't been around that long in their current state. South America and Africa, too, have been too subject to external influences. So Britain has what I think is one of the richest identities and cultures around. Japan is the only real parallel I can think of. And they went the whole hog and totally isolated themselves for a good while there. I'm not sure they even gave people a second referendum.

I don't know, I might be completely wrong. But it strikes me that we've had a smallish country full of people that's been free of foreign meddling for a long long time and that has meant there's a more consistent culture, for both better and worse. At the same time, we have, because of the whole Empire thing and having lots of boats and various other factors, had a fascinating mixture of cultures all mixed into our own, and so contemporary Britain is a real mongrel thing, but in a really good way (unless you're a retired colonel in Dorset I guess).

So yeah, I grew up in England and there is a lot about it that still resonates with me even though I buggered off abroad in my twenties. The splendid, varied countryside and the unique and magical connection people have with it. The language, with its unruliness and creative idiosyncrasies, and the endless possibilities and malleability. The teeming historical landscape, overflowing with literary and scientific and artistic giants. The BBC and the Beatles. Pubs and pies. The football and the cricket. The not being French. The comedy - Brits are funny. The class and social consciousness - people in Britain care, even when they're misguided or plain bigoted.

I can also remind myself of the binge-drinking aggro, the casual xenophobia, the inequality, the shoddy way we treat some of our architecture and nature, the baffling obsession with celebrities and reality TV...

So it's not all to be proud of and as I said, nothing that makes us better. But I think the culture and environment you grow up in and with have a deep and lasting effect on you, and I feel happy to have grown up where I did and, perhaps even more since I moved abroad, it is something that has a lot of value and worth for me.
GoogaMooga wrote:
Minnie Cheddars wrote:Baron got into a fight with some Satan’s Slaves over some culinary issue

Awful thing when that happens. I had a similar experience at a Tom Jones concert.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 26 Nov 2018, 16:08

Brits are not just funny - they are the funniest. But - the sarcasm can be a bit all too much at times, and perhaps lost on certain cultures.
1966 and all that

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 26 Nov 2018, 17:49

GoogaMooga wrote:Brits are not just funny - they are the funniest.

If you mean "funny looking", then yeah, I'd agree.

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 26 Nov 2018, 17:51

sloopjohnc wrote:

Shut it you goofy motherfunker.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 26 Nov 2018, 18:35

Jumper K wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:

Shut it you goofy motherfunker.

:lol:

They also live in collective denial. I didn't mention that part.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 26 Nov 2018, 20:53

Priceless!
John Coan wrote:I've lived in many different countries in Europe and whenever I come home I think 'England is the best'

Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings
hounds people off the board
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 26 Nov 2018, 21:00

It doesn't sit comfortably with a lot of people, that kind of sentiment - I know.

Living abroad means making all kinds of compromises. Anyone who's tried it for long periods will tell you the same. Being back in your own homeland doesn't, so much. That's basically all I meant.
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.