in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks

?

It's ok
40%
It's not ok
60%

Total votes: 5

Bent Fabric

Re: What do you think of stuff like this?

Postby Bent Fabric » 24 Nov 2018, 03:06

In answer to a number of things Minnie did not ask:

My own stomach for dark humor tends to only make exceptions to things that somehow strike a nerve with me personally.

Internet memes?

Oh, jeez - for me, either they get an instant eye roll, OR more often than not I laugh like a drain the very first time I see them, and then act like they are the oldest, tritest, unfunniest thing in the world the second time they appear. My own unwillingness to re-post viral things is, I suspect, largely driven by some knowledge that SOMEONE will be forced to view it a second time and will end up hating me for shoving "yesterday's joke" in their faces five minutes too late.

I probably got a small chuckle out of the chicken the first time I saw it, and then I groaned forever thereafter.

DRUGS SNAKE wrote:What about this? I know it's some people's favourite ( :oops: ) but I know some others can hardly stand to watch it.

Cats.

You got cats?

I find something massively satisfying in the dichotomy between a cat's ongoing, never ending demand for personal dignity, and the fact that...well, they are fucking cats, aren't they? Guy shits in a box and then acts like the goddamn emperor of stuffy town. I find them innately hilarious, and I've probably bought hundreds of laser pointers in my lifetime. I love cats, I've always had them, I always will, and...yeah - I will laugh at a dignity challenged cat until the day I die.

Minnie Mincepie
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Mincepie » 24 Nov 2018, 15:59

Robert wrote:
Minnie Cheddars wrote:Now soberish, I would add that had the carcass been that of a dog, I should imagine that people's reactions would have been different. We decided to call some animals domesticated, and treat them differently, and process others for food, but there is no difference at all other than our perceptions of what some animals mean to us and and what other animals don't. Someone raised their eyebrows when I wasn't interested in signing a "stop the Chinese dog meat trade" petition - someone who ate cows. :roll:

I'm not a vegan yet anyway, so I can't claim to have any moral high ground at all. The dairy industry, save some people who go out of their way, is invariably appalling and aids and abets slaughter and separation.

HAPPY FRIDAY!!!

:lol:

How’s that so??

It's so in that the nature of large scale dairy farming, to produce the amount of milk to keep businesses afloat, cows are intensively managed, separated from their young early, and kept permanently pregnant in order to keep milk being produced. I am not going to go into the fine, unpleasant details as they are easily accessible out there in interweb land, plus I am not vegan, and don't really care what other people eat. I am not revolted by the idea of eating cheese or an egg the same way I am at eating meat, quite the opposite in fact - but the kind of facilities that I would like to imagine existed - a solitary cow smiling and giving up its milk so I can have cheese on toast once a week - exist in the fairy tale world in my head where cats are also mayors of small towns and people ride to work on unicorns. It's easier with eggs, actually - and we get our eggs from somewhere that we know is great (and don't have a rooster so male chicks don't go through a grinder) - but all milk production sits in a circle of animal slaughter.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony

Postby The Prof » 24 Nov 2018, 16:42

Minnie Cheddars wrote: cats are also mayors of small towns.

Yeh - that's the kind of thing our society should be aiming for.

Minnie Cheddars wrote: people ride to work on unicorns

That's just ridiculous

Minnie Mincepie
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Mincepie » 24 Nov 2018, 16:43

The Prof wrote:
Minnie Cheddars wrote: cats are also mayors of small towns.

Yeh - that's the kind of thing our society should be aiming for.

Minnie Cheddars wrote: people ride to work on unicorns

That's just ridiculous

You just know that you would get hounded out of a cat-run town, buster.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony

Postby The Prof » 24 Nov 2018, 17:07

Hounded out of Cat Town. Now there's a thing.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 24 Nov 2018, 17:08

Almost as bad as getting catted out of Hound Town.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Robert

Postby Robert » 25 Nov 2018, 22:02

Minnie Cheddars wrote:
Robert wrote:
Minnie Cheddars wrote:Now soberish, I would add that had the carcass been that of a dog, I should imagine that people's reactions would have been different. We decided to call some animals domesticated, and treat them differently, and process others for food, but there is no difference at all other than our perceptions of what some animals mean to us and and what other animals don't. Someone raised their eyebrows when I wasn't interested in signing a "stop the Chinese dog meat trade" petition - someone who ate cows. :roll:

I'm not a vegan yet anyway, so I can't claim to have any moral high ground at all. The dairy industry, save some people who go out of their way, is invariably appalling and aids and abets slaughter and separation.

HAPPY FRIDAY!!!

:lol:

How’s that so??

It's so in that the nature of large scale dairy farming, to produce the amount of milk to keep businesses afloat, cows are intensively managed, separated from their young early, and kept permanently pregnant in order to keep milk being produced. I am not going to go into the fine, unpleasant details as they are easily accessible out there in interweb land, plus I am not vegan, and don't really care what other people eat. I am not revolted by the idea of eating cheese or an egg the same way I am at eating meat, quite the opposite in fact - but the kind of facilities that I would like to imagine existed - a solitary cow smiling and giving up its milk so I can have cheese on toast once a week - exist in the fairy tale world in my head where cats are also mayors of small towns and people ride to work on unicorns. It's easier with eggs, actually - and we get our eggs from somewhere that we know is great (and don't have a rooster so male chicks don't go through a grinder) - but all milk production sits in a circle of animal slaughter.

I know a bit about how dairy farms are run. I’ve been working in dairy for over 30 years.

I am flexitarian, having cut down my meat consumption by about 50% and looking to cut down further.

What I find interesting and would genuinely like to find out more about is how this works with eating cheese but no meat.

The by product of milk production is meat. Cows are not kept pregant permanently but once a year- pretty much the same in their fertile years as if they’d be ‘ in the wild’

Of all the pregnancies, a considerable part of the births are bulls that are slaughtered in about 6-7 months after birth and sold as veal. Or if prices are not attractive a little later as beef.

You could say milk production increases meat production and dairy consumption keeps the meat industry afloat.

Minnie Mincepie
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie Mincepie » 25 Nov 2018, 22:30

I'm not sure if you're asking me a question or just talking about stuff. I don't understand your point about "how this works eating cheese but no meat." You don't understand how what works?
Yes, you're right that milk production increases meat production. As I said, they sit in a circle.

Dr Markus wrote:

Robert

Postby Robert » 26 Nov 2018, 08:24

Minnie Cheddars wrote:I'm not sure if you're asking me a question or just talking about stuff. I don't understand your point about "how this works eating cheese but no meat." You don't understand how what works?
Yes, you're right that milk production increases meat production. As I said, they sit in a circle.

I guess I was beating around the bush too much to avoid coming over as questioning your motives, which I am not. I just would like to know how it works to take a stand and not eat meat because you find it revolting. Eating cheese doesn't evoke those feelings, to the contrary as you say.

I guess my question was what sets those apart?